Deus Ex: Nihilum [Post-Release Issues] [SPOILERS]

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Suvlaco
NSF

Re: Deus Ex: Nihilum [Post-Release Issues]

Post by Suvlaco »

Hey mate, I've been playing lately and at the moment nearing the end of Yumashev Industries and have spotted a few issues here and there... don't know if they've been commented on before but thought I'd give a heads up...

First one which is tiny and doesn't bother me is finding the original games pistol. I assume this wasn't intentional? I don't remember where it was exactly but you can find it pretty early on...

Second, and this one is little more problematic. When in the Lower Levels and you find the red ambrosia crates, you can hack the computer to bring up the elevator platform which contains the datapad you're looking for. There's an issue with this however, in that, if you're an explorer type like me, if you call the lift up, then use the grate that's hidden to go through the underground vents to that area, once you drop down I couldn't find any way to return to the main level, so you're permanently stuck in the lift area or underwater ducts. Fortunately I had quick saves before going in there so it wasn't too much of an issue for me.

The second issue with that area is that the water that's supposed to be in there doesn't work sometimes =/ No idea if this one may be hard for you to play with or fix. When first going in I got the effect on the screen (slightly blurry, blue-ish) but no water, then after exploring a little and going in and out of it a few times it suddenly popped back in. Just thought you'd like a heads up. Doesn't affect it too much, but does make those rebreathers not really needed if this occurs ;)

Cheers again! Enjoying it for the most part so far :)
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

ggrotz wrote:
FastGamerr wrote: @ggrotz: Could you send me a savegame (via e-mail to fastgamerr@gmail.com) of the situation where you've returned to Neustadt from XVA so I could see what's up with it?
Done. Also included is demonstration of a glitch where I'm carrying two of the same kind of weapon. (Walther P99)
The weapon glitch is mentioned in the readme. As for your Berlin glitch... well, for some reason all the flags marking that you've joined XVA are active even though you only seem to have just arrived from the labs and only talking to Yoon will finalize the process. And as my UnrealScript skills are as efficient as they've always been, I can't see anything in the .UC script file that would indicate that those flags would just get activated all of a sudden... and thus far you're still the only one who has hit this problem. :\ Sorry, man!

@Suviaco: Both of the ladders in the underground vents reach down to the bottom surface so the player can get up easily... I did notice that one door probably could be opened by other means than blowing it up if you've followed the route you just explained. Also, the cage lights in the vents are blue for a reason so that the blue tint wouldn't seem that out of place (cheap tricks, yes, but I'm not going to bother too much with cosmetic stuff for an outdated engine <.<).

However, you're supposed to let the water into the vents (via the valve near the door I just mentioned, practically on the other side of the nanotech storage room) and if the "entering water" thing happens when you enter the zone where the water's supposed to appear... well, that's just DX for you :]

(Also explains why a similar "water rising" scenario wasn't implemented in the Brooklyn station level in the original DX - something I only discovered after I had made the valve scenario into DXN (which I borrowed from Star Wars: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II anyway >_>))
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

Yeah, I suspected as much. It's not really an issue as having grown up on the older games I know to keep multiple save files ;) Up to Tianbao now and really enjoying it :)
I did encounter one other bug though to do with the Walter PP pistol. Somehow I picked up a 2nd one, and if you equip that 2nd one you cannot unequip it and use any other items... Strange. I just reloaded though and made sure to drop it from inventory so not worries here.

I also see you're a fan of the prod charger... lots of ammo for that in amusing hidden spots ;) nice!
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Just finished it! Mind = blown!

Bugs wise, nothing that hasn't already been reported I don't think. I think people have suggested maybe a few more hints as to the right path, but I suppose the coming walkthroughs and wiki material and such will sort that out.

Excellent work!

Also, I cried during the bit where Number One pleads for Ingram to join the Dark Side with daddy and conquer the universe together. XD
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Ha, thanks for playing through the mod, man!

At one point I was considering to release some kind of a "DXN Secrets Guide" but at this stage it would take too much time for me to make one. Oh well!
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote:As for your Berlin glitch... well, for some reason all the flags marking that you've joined XVA are active even though you only seem to have just arrived from the labs and only talking to Yoon will finalize the process.
FWIW, I looked for those flags throughout my saved games and they first appear on my save at the map with the Reichstag building. Went to the save game before that and played through to the XVA building and notice that they didn't appear at any point along there. Maybe I hit some conversation path that set those elsewhere.

Finished the game, btw.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote: At one point I was considering to release some kind of a "DXN Secrets Guide" but at this stage it would take too much time for me to make one. Oh well!
Just hitting where all the augs and aug upgrades are along with the super sekrit stuff should be sufficient for most of the cases, especially since there's nothing that really needs *documented* in DXN from what I can tell.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Oh, the one thing I noticed was a bunch of doors and other movers can be hacked through with a sword. I'd guess about half of them. I didn't have to use very many lockpicks. Not sure if this was intentional.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Well, it's what the "don't underestimate the throwing knives!" references are ... referring to. >_>

(I guess the shuriken and sword are more similar weapons in that regard or sth)
Chris Rosenkreutz
NSF

Post by Chris Rosenkreutz »

Awesome mod.

The earliest way I've found to get stuck: enter the first building, talk to the receptionist, backtrack out of the building and re-enter it. Now you can't get through security.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

What exactly do you mean with that? The only error I've encountered in that level change teleporter has been the standard "ConCamera" issue (and certainly not to the extent as in DXN1.0's Berlin Airport-Streets >_>).
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

The Observation Tower (last level): where is it please.

I've almost finished this marvel but I have to meet a certain someone. The map doesn't help me.

Is it on the surface or underground? I've scourged the map several hours to no avail.

Anyway I have so much to say about this fan-made mission...Just give me some pointers to finish it, plizzz! :-k

EDIT: thanks. Gimme some time, I have a fan-made mission to set straight. :mrgreen: Then for the DXN Review. Man it will be a landslide. :mrgreen:
Last edited by CrocMagnum on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

In this screenshot, you can see it in the upper left corner. You can only enter the general area if you've fried Novikova up or restored her access to the tower from the "OThomasen" security console.
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

Deus Ex Nihilum Review

Dear God ! There's so much to tell. Deus Ex Nihilum was a pure blast. It’s amazing how fan-made missions are getting better and better over the years. Clearly DXN fits into this long tradition of quality campaigns for Deus Ex. Not long ago The Nameless Mod cranked up these standards to atmospheric levels, oddly enough the same goes for DXN. For a start the Level Design is superb, every object has a purpose in this game: every single block, even a mere ‘crate’ is placed masterfully. To the point where sometimes the design is too good. What do I mean? Simply put: it takes a working brain to play this game (at least on a first playthroughs; ), some places / stashes are very well-hidden, this is also the only fan-made mission in which I missed quite a bunch of augmentations canisters. Obviously this game calls for additional playthroughs. Another seal of quality, no doubt about it. Not only the levels are huge, but all of them have a strong visual identity, you really feel the change when you switch to another location.

Kowloon District (the first real mission) is a lesson in level design. This statement is from a gamer perspective (I’m not a level designer after all). But here is my point:

In Deus Ex vanilla you surely remember the Liberty Island map: a gem in Level Design. Most of us still feel ‘the thrill’ when we start a new game. Even after all those years, Liberty Island is still a piece of perfection. This is somewhat ‘miraculous’. I dare say the Liberty Island level should be studied in depth in level design courses.

My point? Well! I feel the same with Kowloon District: this level is an Instant Classic! Initially you explore, then you try to grasp the mechanics of the map, finally you feel the map like a ‘second skin’. This feeling is wonderful.

Remarkably you get that notion many times in Deus Ex Nihilum. No wonder when you realize DXN took 10 years in the making. Probably 10 years of never-ending drafts, overhauls, improvements and tiny adjustments that make the game feel right. It takes some skills to achieve such an undertaking. In my view you need:

Time – Dedication – A Working Brain!

Obviously FastGamerr, as all the talents involved in the project, have them. And it’s free. This is no ordinary work, this is a labour of love! Thank you all beyond words.

Voice Acting / Writing

It’s great. Note that the first map is very deceptive: you may find the voice acting average, but it gets better and better the more you advance into the game. Not only the lines get more and more interesting, but the dubbers improve from level to level. Quite impressive. On a sidenote: I really feel the girl dubbing Lana Zavitch / Lien Takara is a skilled dubber, she has the voice of a mermaid…

About Mad Ingram: when you hear him for the first time, his voice seems troubling: he has a very insistent tone, almost Alpacinesque I might add. Mad Ingram may seem a reasonable person but his voice betrays anger, almost an inner rage. You really get the notion Ingram is the persistent type. He’ll never give up on his prey (nor a ham sandwich ; ). The consequence is that Mad Ingram, due to his persistent personality, has got a real smart-mouth: in-game, he’ll never miss the opportunity to give a piece of his mind. It works. Excellent choice as far as the voice cast is concerned.

Just like Zodiac, DXN succeeds in making the missions believable. The story blends really well with the Deus Ex Mythology. Bob Page, Morgan Everett and MANY other may work in the shadows but they have a strong influence on the storyline…

The Soundtrack

RetroXor is quite a skilled fellow. Jeez! I was taken by surprise. The OST rocks so much it makes me feel dizzy. ; ). Everything is perfect: Background Music, Battle Themes, City Themes, everything. Now I have to point out the INCREDIBLE music of Kowloon District. I said above how much I like the Kowloon District map, but the contribution of RetroXor in this ‘tour de force’ is invaluable. This track is unquestionably a vibrant tribute to the Hong Kong music of Deus Ex Vanilla. The Kowloon District track is strong, so energetic. I look forward to hearing from RetroXor on other projects. By the way I want a Soundtrack for DXN! :mrgreen:

Miscellaneous (Spoiler included)

- "Totally Logical Jumping Bonus": when I got that message I muttered to myself “FastGamerr! You’re a perv, all right!”. What happened next confirmed my opinion *mrgreen* ,

- Your stunt with Lien Takara was quite ingenious. I discovered it by chance: I was trying to make a non-lethal takedown…Well played FastGamerr! Well played!,

If you make a faq don't forget to add: Augmentation Location - Unique / Rare Weapon Location,

Note: there's still A LOT to tell, but hey! I think you get the idea...

EDIT: corrected some spelling errors.
Last edited by CrocMagnum on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Wow, thanks for the review!

And yes, my biggest beef with the voice acting related issues that people have is that some of the VAs - for example Zavich, Novikova, the MPS Director (and all his other roles), Elias Nadel - actually are professional voice actors. Hell, some couldn't voice anything more for DXN because they were more busy with roles for which they got real money! But the fact that everyone involved in voice acting for the mod agreed to do so for free is something I'm eternally grateful for.

Fully agreed on the OST as well, there might be a related release coming up in the future... wink wink nudge nudge

Concerning that stunt, you're the second one who seems to have succeeded in "unlocking" that sequence! You can only attain it if you were nice to her at Yumashev and MPS HQ - and furthermore, will state that you won't do a thing against here and then ... won't do a thing against her! (So pretty much activating all armors and other defences on the spot) That whole 'Zen' sequence is a reference to Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith where instead of having a huge flashy lightsabre battle at the end, you just have to stay there and do nothing for the ending to kick in. I'm glad you discovered it :]

Once again, thanks for the review! I'm glad that thorough reviews that have observed the mod well are finally starting to come in :]