Deus Ex: Nihilum [Post-Release Issues] [SPOILERS]

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
ggrotz
X-51

Re: Deus Ex: Nihilum [Post-Release Issues] [SPOILERS]

Post by ggrotz »

Fun little side effect. I found the mercenaries in the sewers went hostile when I would use the paratrooper gun on that map. Didn't expect it, but different, not to mention all the locked doors.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Ah, yes, I remember playing that map at one point (9-10 months ago) and wondering why the action music started playing even though I was just blowing up doors or somesuch and had taken care of all the mercs topside.

On another note, I think I'm going to dig up the installer files for DXN in the coming weekend and release the 1.5.6.2 patch (incorporating the "Assorted Fixes" patches to it)...

... well, it will wait until I've added a Trivia Console or something to Dynamene Inner Section near JED's cellar so that you can skip the ultra-long infolink where Zavich gives you the Illuminati's goals.

Sure, it's plot-important at that point (esp. when playing DXN for the first time), but putting in a Trivia Console somewhere nearby (to take advantage of the game's programming of how initiating a "normal" conversation will skip a concurrent infolink conversation) is the most I'm willing to do to let people bypass it (once again in line with my policy that while a lot of things have been or could be fixed in the main mod, I'm still not gonna change it too much to save time and let it stand as a creation of its time).
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote:Ah, yes, I remember playing that map at one point (9-10 months ago) and wondering why the action music started playing even though I was just blowing up doors or somesuch and had taken care of all the mercs topside.
I thought this was maybe something you programmed, since I can use other guns to take care of the greasel and not have them go on alert. But yeah, a lot of weapon sounds go on distance (through walls even) and if you don't have enough between certain areas, things on the other side will be alerted. Using explosives in the sewer tunnels (along with other weapons maybe) will alert the mercs topside and start the action music, for instance.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Yeah, DX's AI is what it is and I never had the patience to try to deal with it too much. ;)

Another example: Sometimes taking care of the bots that Alistair (DLC) wants to be taken down will briefly make Alistair hostile to you, which is of course quite ironic.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote: Another example: Sometimes taking care of the bots that Alistair (DLC) wants to be taken down will briefly make Alistair hostile to you, which is of course quite ironic.
Not really. As I understand it, things are set to be more paranoid around guns. Usually most of the AI in Nihilum seems to be set to "go hostile if guns are used in my presence". Consequently it doesn't take much to set off things. I've had Alistair go hostile on me trying to help him take care of the gang guys at the top of the stairs when he comes out. It happens.
And... I suppose this is a texture bug of some kind?
And... I suppose this is a texture bug of some kind?
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

ggrotz wrote:I've had Alistair go hostile on me trying to help him take care of the gang guys at the top of the stairs when he comes out. It happens.
Oh yeah, I've had that happen as well.

As for the screenshot, it looks like I still haven't figured out how PinkMaskTex/GreyMaskTex/BlackMaskTex work... or it's possibly something else, because DX is trying to put some texture on the visor (perhaps the default UE "texture is missing" one... so maybe there's a typo in the .UC file) which should have been masked (so if anything, the wrong mask texture should appear visible instead). I'll take a look into it.

I was going to say "these random instances still hold me off from updating the main DXN download", but I guess I should remember that the 2013 version of DXN was available for download for 4.5 years and it had much crazier issues present (well, the 2018 version still has some of them) - so I'll probably get around to that update this weekend.

I still haven't given up on adding some more areas to the Estate level (at least) either, but I might make a separate download for the updated map (since I won't pay attention to fixing the pivot points until I'm done with adding in the new archi). As per usual, I will only get around to fixing BSP holes if they eat up half of the level, or just "too much" at an area where they're most unwelcome.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

FastGamerr wrote:As for the screenshot
Okay, turns out PinkMaskTex was missing from the "Texture" value instead of one of the MultiSkins. Should work now:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum/down ... n-addon375

Oh, and I uploaded the original Old Town Hall map (largely serves as a setpiece for what the original plan for the level was kinda supposed to be like) for some reason as well: https://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum/addons/extra-estate
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Alright, just updated the main download of DXN to version 1.5.6.2 (with a 1.5.6.1->1.5.6.2 patch here).

(Here's hoping the "Signal Console" I added to Dynamene Inner Section will help with skipping the long infolinks that take place in the area, instead of resulting in anything egregiously game-breaking)
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

"Are you ready for what happens next?"
"Are you ready for what happens next?"
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Can that issue be replicated? Seems like one of those "Neustadt van" type bugs.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote:Can that issue be replicated? Seems like one of those "Neustadt van" type bugs.
Not sure. I'll try very soon. Meanwhile, here's a real documented bug (though a minor one).
Closed open door in the 2nd map of the Prologue DLC.
Closed open door in the 2nd map of the Prologue DLC.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Isn't that a bug in vanilla DX itself? If so, it's out of my hands, Zeddy. ;)
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

FastGamerr wrote:Alright, just updated the main download of DXN to version 1.5.6.2 (with a 1.5.6.1->1.5.6.2 patch here).

(Here's hoping the "Signal Console" I added to Dynamene Inner Section will help with skipping the long infolinks that take place in the area, instead of resulting in anything egregiously game-breaking)
Good news. Accordingly I've echoed your Nihilum Update on canardpc and updated the info on Page 1.

Also unrelated to Nihilum, I've added info for Deus Ex Revision:

- indeed Revision is available on GOG as an optional download for quite some time now (where was my mind at :mrgreen:),

- I've thus remove the silly comment about Revision being only available on Steam on Day 1,

- Page 1 info about Revision has been appropriately updated with links (finally) to its dedicated pages at GOG, Steam and moddb.
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

CrocMagnum wrote:Good news. Accordingly I've echoed your Nihilum Update on canardpc and updated the info on Page 1.
Thanks, CrocMagnum!

Even though the next version of DXN might be just around the corner, since after releasing the previous patch, I've fixed one audio/text disrepancy and moved the position of one van so it wouldn't be inside a wall/barrier. ;)

(Okay, I'm waiting for more issues to fix before making a new "Assorted Fixes" update and/or a major patch... but still!)
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote: (Okay, I'm waiting for more issues to fix before making a new "Assorted Fixes" update and/or a major patch... but still!)
It's amazing how I keep running into things. Another one. I had one of those moments where Alistair was hostile to me right from the first when I blew through the doors and took care of the bots. I ran back to that top room and hid to wait for him to turn back. When he did, tried to frob him to get the whole talk...Nothing.