Deus Ex v2.0 fan patch + Deus Ex Enhanced

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
IndigoDingo
Mole Person

Deus Ex v2.0 fan patch + Deus Ex Enhanced

Post by IndigoDingo »

First off, hello! This is my first post here and I'd like to start by thanking the community (modders / fans) for everything they do here. Preservation and future playability of games is important and games like Deus Ex wouldn't remain as popular as they do without all of you. Hopefully I'm not coming off as overly-flattering.

Second, I hope I've posted this in the right forum. :?

Finally, as the title suggests, I'd like to be able to use the fixes from the v2.0 fan patch, as well as the UI enhancements of DE Enhanced. I noticed G-Flex's Human Renovation mod seems to be aimed at tackling this, but according to this original post, he doesn't know how to implement the fixes of Enhanced.

Ultimately, my goal is this: I want to play Deus Ex as original as possible, not withholding needed fixes. I'm already making use of Kentie's Deus Exe and will also be replacing the maps included in the latest GOTY of the release with the proper updated maps.

Hopefully I've been specific enough. Thank you to anyone who can help.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 fan patch + Deus Ex Enhanced

Post by G-Flex »

Unfortunately, since Deus Ex 2.0 and Deus Ex Enhanced replace the same file (as do most gameplay-altering mods), you can't use both at the same time. Also, I believe Deus Ex Enhanced is based on Shifter, so it would hardly be very "original".

The advantage of DXE is the double-sized HUD elements/text, pretty much, and I think it doubles the size of the weapon scope too.

If you want an experience as close as possible to regular ol' Deus Ex, I suggest using Deus Ex 2.0 with the maps you've got, and using kentie's launcher to set the proper FOV angle for your resolution. Human Renovation does fix a lot of bugs, widescreen issues, etc. that Deus Ex 2.0 and DXE don't, but it also includes some gameplay changes you might not want on your first run through the game.
IndigoDingo
Mole Person

Post by IndigoDingo »

Well, hello! Thanks for replying and sorry it's taken me so long to do the same.

I didn't really make it explicit in my original post, but how I ended up here was the result of opening both the v2.0 patch and DX Enhanced and seeing that they were the same file. It threw up a flag for me immediately and I was left saying to myself, "Well, that's not going to work". It's also how I came across your Human Renovation mod, but I :( -faced when I read further and found that you hadn't implemented the UI changes; nonetheless, it looks like you put a lot of work into Renovation and by people's indication it turned out pretty well.

I'm glad you elaborated a bit on Human Renovation. I do want to play Deus Ex as original as possible with all proper fixes in place, so it sounds like I'll have to just cope with the obscenely small UI. I take it this isn't as simple as going into a file and changing a couple of numbers, or you would've done that already.

Thanks again!
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly went into doubling the size of the UI. I think I could accomplish that without new textures by just stretching the old textures to double-size, but I'm not sure how well that would work, and there are still the fonts to worry about.

You could always try playing with the regular scaled UI, although that has a tendency to look crappy sometimes and allegedly can result in text-cutoff problems for some reason on widescreen displays.

Note that Human Renovation does scale the binocular/scope sights properly with resolution, so you at least won't have a ludicrously tiny scope view at high resolution like in the original game.
IndigoDingo
Mole Person

Post by IndigoDingo »

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but now looking around, is subscribing even enabled? Also, when you talk about high resolutions, at what resolution do the problems start?

Thanks for all the information.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Well, the scope view is always drawn at the same size (in terms of pixels), so it's a smaller proportion of your screen size as your resolution goes up. At 640x480 it's a pretty big chunk of your screen, and as your resolution goes up from there, it just gets smaller and smaller. At 1920x1080 you can't see much of the screen at all.
Peacefully Disturbed
Mole Person

Post by Peacefully Disturbed »

I've been playing with Human Renovation at a resolution of 1366x768 and the scopes were still way to small, so I ended up incorporating the bigger scopes from Deus Ex Enhanced into the DeusEx.u from Human Renovation.

I also incorporated the bigger scopes into the DeusEx.u files from the base game, BioMod, and the Deus Ex v2.0 - Unofficial Patch and uploaded all of these to ModDB because I saw some people asking for those when first looking for a mod that would do this.

It's only one of the improvements from Deus Ex Enhanced, and I'm not sure if it's big enough at really high resolutions, but it definitely makes a difference for me when playing at 1366x768.

Here is the link if you're interested.
I'm not disappointed in you; I'm disappointed in myself, for believing in you.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

To be fair, I'm not sure the bigger scopes are in the currently released version. I've been working on the upcoming version for so long that sometimes I forget. Whoops.
IndigoDingo
Mole Person

Post by IndigoDingo »

That sounds appealing to me, Peacefully Disturbed. I'll definitely check it out. When did you start to work on that? Your Readme is dated March 24.
Peacefully Disturbed
Mole Person

Post by Peacefully Disturbed »

I did it March 23. It took me about 5 hours total of learning the SDK, checking the source from Deus Ex Enhanced for the required changes, changing the appropriate file, getting the resized textures working, repacking, testing, and then modifying the other mod's DeusEx.u files.

On the 24th I wrote the readme and uploaded it to ModDB.
I'm not disappointed in you; I'm disappointed in myself, for believing in you.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

Peacefully Disturbed wrote:I did it March 23. It took me about 5 hours total of learning the SDK, checking the source from Deus Ex Enhanced for the required changes, changing the appropriate file, getting the resized textures working, repacking, testing, and then modifying the other mod's DeusEx.u files.

On the 24th I wrote the readme and uploaded it to ModDB.
Is there a chance of getting the Deus Ex Enhanced body image in?
Jack90
UNATCO

Post by Jack90 »

Kayaking is a great way to explore the outdoors and experience the beauty of nature. Whether you are paddling for recreational purposes or fishing, choosing the right kayak is essential to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.With so many options available in the market, https://howtokayaking.com/best-fish-finder-for-kayak/