Concern(s) about Non-Lethal vs. Lethal Ammo

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Concern(s) about Non-Lethal vs. Lethal Ammo

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

To put things simply, I'm looking for a way to include more non-lethal ammo options in-game, mostly via random inventory drops, hidden caches (such as the hidden room in Paul's apartment) and/or through conversations (specifically, JC's first conversation with Paul, and the first few conversations he has with Carter).

It seems a bit weird and/or erroneous to me that those two are thoroughly against JC becoming a mindless killer, yet when Paul offers to give him a sniper rifle or the GEP gun, he doesn't give JC any kind of non-lethal ammo to go with these weapons, and Carter continually (at JC's request) distributing lethal ammo to someone he expects will safely "arrest NSF troops wherever they can be found" instead of flagrantly murdering them, is equally nonsensical. :-s #-o
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
SkrillaX
NSF

Re: Concern(s) about Non-Lethal vs. Lethal Ammo

Post by SkrillaX »

Carter's probably testing he player on his values of life, but Paul hadn't realised the truth until his encounter with Lebedev. So, in the earlier levels he was adamant on "non-lethally" dealing with a terrorist organization. +o(
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

Considering this, I always wanted more non lethal weapons and ammo (Even weapons with kill and no kill options regarding the ammo)
An other thing is about getting also utility ammo. But I guess for me I more often played lethal than non lethal because the game is diminished with the non lethal aspect as very few weapons and items work with that aspect unless you play something like GMDX ...
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Blade sword wrote:Considering this, I always wanted more non lethal weapons and ammo (Even weapons with kill and no kill options regarding the ammo)
An other thing is about getting also utility ammo. But I guess for me I more often played lethal than non lethal because the game is diminished with the non lethal aspect as very few weapons and items work with that aspect unless you play something like GMDX ...
Hmm.....and here, I thought that this particular subforum was practically dead. <_<

Despite the fact that there are certain characters in-game that you can't get away with not killing to progress, I have indeed been attempting to create more non-lethal options for those who want to get away from the generic "kill anything that moves" playstyle (e.g., rubber bullets for the pistol[s], tear gas shells for the rocket launcher, etc.). Finding a way to seamlessly integrate these things into the game, however, is another matter entirely, but I remain optimistic.
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
Captain_Destro
UNATCO

Post by Captain_Destro »

I've messed with it. It's kinda simple really.

I took the sniper rifle, and the ammo type/projectile uses darts. Velocity, damage and range of projectiles have been increased. You actually have to use the scopes BDC reticle at further ranges.

I also made a Demolitions weapon, like a multiple grenade launcher/MGL.

Basically it's the auto shotgun model that uses Bio Baton Rounds, and 20mm grenades as a secondary ammo type, and wp rockets as a third.

Bio baton rounds are basically reskined Greasel spit that explode on contact/gradually deliver damage until the target is unconscious. Velocity and such have been adjusted.

Code: Select all

//=============================================================================
// DartRiflePoison.
class DartRiflePoison expands DartPoison;

defaultproperties
{
     speed=8000.000000
     MaxSpeed=7000.000000
     Damage=15.000000
     MyDamageType=Poison
     ImpactSound=Sound'DeusExSounds.Generic.GlassHit2'
     CollisionRadius=5.000000
     CollisionHeight=0.800000
     bFixedRotationDir=True
}

// RifleFlareDart.
class RifleFlareDart expands DartFlare;

defaultproperties
{
     speed=8000.000000
     MaxSpeed=7000.000000
     CollisionRadius=5.000000
     CollisionHeight=0.800000
}
// RifleDart.
class RifleDart expands Dart;

defaultproperties
{
speed=8000.000000
MaxSpeed=7000.000000
CollisionRadius=5.000000
CollisionHeight=0.800000
}

// BioBaton.
class BioBaton expands GreaselSpit;

defaultproperties
{
     speed=8000.000000
     MaxSpeed=8000.000000
     Damage=25.000000
     MomentumTransfer=1000
     SpawnSound=Sound'DeusExSounds.Weapons.AssaultGunFire20mm'
     ImpactSound=Sound'DeusExSounds.Generic.SmallExplosion1'
     ExplosionDecal=Class'DeusEx.AmbrosiaPool'
     Rotation=(Pitch=20)
     Style=STY_Normal
     Texture=Texture'DeusExDeco.Skins.AlarmLightTex5'
     Mesh=LodMesh'DeusExItems.HECannister20mm'
     DrawScale=1.500000
     LightType=LT_Steady
     LightEffect=LE_NonIncidence
     LightBrightness=80
     LightHue=61
     LightSaturation=50
     Mass=25.000000
}
Pretty much stuff like that can be created based off of prior classes.

Fun fact you can make fire ammo fairly easy by extending the "Dragon" class. Just make sure projectiles don't spawn when fired. This will allow the actual hit scan weapon to set objects/people on fire.

I usually change all of Deus Ex's shotguns to have this property. I also make pump shotguns have a firerate x5 to be more like other shooting games.

Could make bullets similar to bio batons. Makes sense in Deus Ex's universe. Let's just say the ammunition uses nano machines that expose a target once a "polymer" bullet makes contact with a target and breaks open.