Make NPCs sit or crouch

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Schaeffti
Mole Person

Make NPCs sit or crouch

Post by Schaeffti »

Hi all :smile: ,

I don´t know if a question like this is to simple for this particular forum but I cannot imagine who I should ask instead.

So in my freetime I like to play around with the editactor command. You know freezing a level with 'playersonly' and maybe write down some of the patrol routes, then 'killall' for all the actors I want removed to set them up anew with the alliances, inventories and orders I like. Smooth sailing just for fun.
But I ran into troubles with two specific orders.
The first one being 'Sitting'. I cannot get the thing to work reliably. Every 30th try or so it works and the damn NPC actually sits down but most of the time they completly ignore the order and just start the 'Wandering'. How can I make them sit down? I tried diffrent orders like spawning the chair before freezing the game with playersonly, spawning it while the game is forzen, but it is not reliable enough.

Second one is the 'Crouching'. In TNM I took a closer look at the ABI Elite Guard at the roof of the building, you know, the one with the sniper rifle. And I noticed, that he had a special home and order tag. So is crouching tied to the map itself and I cannot make NPCs crouch via editactor or can I bring any NPC in a 'Crouching' state?

Thanks in advance and have a good one :D
Made in China
MJ12

Re: Make NPCs sit or crouch

Post by Made in China »

AFAIK sitting is temperamental and is very dependent on the position of both the chair and the pathing node - the npc and the chair need to be aligned just right.

Crouching cannot be done on most models because they lack the anims, and therefore the command will do nothing (or most likely won't be there in the first place).
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Think directly changing variables won't get you that far. You would rather need sth. like some exec function which wraps ScriptedPawn.SetOrders() of the pawn you are looking at, which is basically what the OrdersTrigger does, instead of just changing that single variable.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Schaeffti
Mole Person

Post by Schaeffti »

Ok, I kinda get it but I am not proficient with the system behind Deus Ex at all. I learned most of the things you can do with editactor by myself and through trial and error.

So for example if I want to make a terrorist sit, how do I need to proceed using your method?
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

Post by Andrievskaya Veronika »

In UnrealEd in pawn's properties set orders to Sitting. In ordersTag set tag of chair.
Also set bUseFirstSeatOnly to false, so pawn will try to find another chair when required.
Schaeffti
Mole Person

Post by Schaeffti »

Andrievskaya Veronika wrote:In UnrealEd in pawn's properties set orders to Sitting. In ordersTag set tag of chair.
Also set bUseFirstSeatOnly to false, so pawn will try to find another chair when required.
Thank you!

Taking what you told me over to the editactor command I was able to make it work reliably.
The important thing is to set the bUseFirstSeatOnly to false, because then the AI will always attempt to find a chair. The OrderTag is then used just to 'stick' a NPC to a specific chair in the world.

Thank you all for your help
=D> :D
Jack90
UNATCO

Post by Jack90 »

These guidelines dictate how these materials should be labeled and packaged, as well as how they should be transported and stored. Failure to comply with these regulations can result in serious consequences, such as fines, legal action, and even injury or death. Car Transport Rates Davidson County, Tennessee