Talking to objects

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Re: Talking to objects

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Delta2501 wrote:Can someone recommend a tutorial to expain how to make a trigger such as a switch do different things like open door, trigger explosion, kill an NPC etc? Are there any other useful tutorials besides Tack's and the Universal Constructor?
All that is done in the missionscript.
And the easiest way to learn that is to just learn from examples that are already in the game and work.
In UEditor, go to actors-info-missionscript-TNMMissionscript and just open any you want.

They have many examples of opening doors, killing/deleting characters and all the various stuff you can do with script. And them being nice as they are the scripts are filled with dev. commentary so it's pretty rare (if not non-existant) to not know what a certain command does.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:All that is done in the missionscript.
Certainly not all of it. You can open a door just by setting the tag of the door as the switch's event. To trigger an explosion, place a hidden TNT crate somewhere and set its tag as the switch's event. Killing an NPC should be done in the script just to be safe though.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Jonas wrote:You can open a door just by setting the tag of the door as the switch's event.
Only open and close it though, not unlock it right?

I though that's what he meant with "open door". My bad. Didn't knew the TNT-trick though.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I don't know what he meant, only what he wrote :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Have you opened up the Gotem map in the SDK? I am going to assume trigger here. Probably combined with a destroytrigger for that trigger if Hitler is killed.
Same with the UN flag that precedes it.
However I doubt the guy is a regular plant either, considering the massive explosion that follows.
What I meant was that you can talk to it and its not an NPC as is the UN Flag so you can techincally talk to objects and they don't need to be set to "bMovable True" to do so as Delta2501 said:
bMovable to false does indeed mean you can't converse with an actor
unless that is a trigger that makes the conversation work. I have not yet opened the Gotem map as it somehow makes my UED crash, but that might just be my computer.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

You need to add
EditPackages=MalkavianMod
EditPackages=MalkavianAudioMission66
EditPackages=MalkavianText

to DX.ini or TNM.ini (whatever you let UEditor load).
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

Does anyone else have problems spawning vortex grenades? I try placing the plasmanade from the ammo list in Unreal Ed but all I get is the "do not place" box (like the debugger in TNM).
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Hassat Hunter wrote:You need to add
EditPackages=MalkavianMod
EditPackages=MalkavianAudioMission66
EditPackages=MalkavianText

to DX.ini or TNM.ini (whatever you let UEditor load).
That does not matter, it crashes trying to load the Malkavian.u (its not MalkavianMod.u) I may need to reinstall DX again to fix that.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

My bad.
Although it could also be just a typo, that's what made my editor crash trying to load TNM files.

Took a quick look through the map, and no triggers. So it's just (seemingly) bindname/proximity (NPC enters PC Radius) in ConEdit, even with bMovable true possible...
Delta2501 wrote:Does anyone else have problems spawning vortex grenades? I try placing the plasmanade from the ammo list in Unreal Ed but all I get is the "do not place" box (like the debugger in TNM).
You're using the wrong ones. Do NOT use the ones in pickup-ammo, but instead look for Weapon-DXWeapb-TNMWeapon- "TNMItems.WeaponPlasmaNade"
TheConEgo
Thug

Post by TheConEgo »

I do not move out of the way! [-(
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, and those who cannot.

Welcome to where time stands still
No one leaves and no one will
Moon is full, never seems to change
Just labeled mentally deranged
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

Hassat mentioned UEditor for editing mission script, is this a part of DX SDK? Are there any guides to basic operations in mission script? Sorry if it looks like I'm asking to be spoonfed everything, I'm new to the whole place and haven't read much on the subject either (all I have so far is the downloaded DX and TNM SDKs, including Conedit). If anyone can recommend/link to a list of essential modding files/tools/reading I'd greatly appreciate it. Much obliged.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Nah, the missionscript is written using Notepad (or better; NotePad ++. Google it up!). However it can easily be found and has pretty colors for information that Notepad lacks (but ++ has) in the editor itself.

As for essential readings:
http://offtopicproductions.com/tacks/
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Necro-post!
Jonas wrote:Secondly, we couldn't really check if Abom killed the board guest in question or if somebody else did, so Abom would still use the line if the player killed the board guest, and that would also be weird.
Checking DX code I saw there was a way to check if the player killed a NPC. It just applied to JCDenton in those cases though (as in; did the player kill Jojo Fine, or not?), but even if it can only be applied to the player (can it?) this should allow you to distinguish between a player kill and Abom kill, not?
And it's not like other NPC's really aim for the guy.

Still; other factors (like the player being far from Abom) still apply then I guess...