Game Design: Formalism

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Interesting. Sounds promising.

Personally I think that presence is overrated. I loved Mass Effect for giving me a character who was savvy and knowledgable of the world, so I could gain some information from her as well as the people I spoke with through her. For once, there was an RPG that didn't make me feel like I was playing an idiot. Well, for twice, actually - KOTOR2 did the same.

In the NWN2 module I'm starting work on for my bachelor project, I'm gonna aim straight for that: Deliberately detaching you from your avatar in terms of what you know about the world. Maybe it'll suck, or maybe it'll be awesome. But it'll be interesting in either case :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Indeed, very much like a film in that you perceive it from the third person. I can assume that will happen with my Neuromancer remake, but I'm thinking that on account that Case has essentially been without a cyberdeck for so long, he'll need to exercise his abilities to see if he still has what it takes- if not then he has to relearn all of it. (this is a great way to implement a SKIP TUTORIAL button- Bethesda please LISTEN!/rant) eventually the user catches up to the character's level of understanding in the world, Mass effect did that well- I was mostly thinking the Eden Prime scene that goes over my head where Shepard goes on about the protheans. (only to later repeat the exact same line over and over.. but by the second time its already sunk in.. so no need to keep saying it!)

It was kinda cool though being able to customize Shepard's background as well as understanding of the situation he/she was in. I like to play it fairly neutral- though bending towards a peaceful Renegade rather than ruthless.. mainly because I disliked how the Council handed things.. (very funny to cut them off mid transmission :D) Wasn't being racist at all.. just think they're a bunch of idiots that don't do enough, hence relying on Specters in the first place and turning a blind eye assuming all is good.

I definitely love how the game ends and allows us to transfer our characters onto the next adventure.. I'm DEFINITELY going to use that idea because I love this idea of character progression as the game advances into it sequels. You're not exactly cut off entirely from Shepard though Jonas, he/she is still your avatar to some degree- it becomes very apparent midway through the game where you can being making decisions that effect how the world perceives Shepard. (Though its not global enough- and thats the flaw I didn't like about the game. No matter how renegade I got, people still didn't care.. they trusted me knowing what my reputation was like.)