Anyone a stingy gamer?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Delta2501
UNATCO

Re: Anyone a stingy gamer?

Post by Delta2501 »

You could if you did it with fists. Seriously, making your way through corporate security and military bases with nothing but your bare hands is pretty cool.

Edit: and yes, I did make a similar topic on the GameFAQs board but I assumed most people would only frequent one of the boards.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

JC_Helios wrote:Now seeing as how I thought medical bots were in the two areas with the scientists (Why in the hell did you remove so many med bots!?! :cry: ) I decided to take on the heavily guarded corridor.
But there is one there. It moves around a bit, but should be there.

Besides that; darn... that's resource-saving. I much rather toss a LAM then ;P.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Hassat Hunter wrote:
JC_Helios wrote:Now seeing as how I thought medical bots were in the two areas with the scientists (Why in the hell did you remove so many med bots!?! :cry: ) I decided to take on the heavily guarded corridor.
But there is one there. It moves around a bit, but should be there.

Besides that; darn... that's resource-saving. I much rather toss a LAM then ;P.
I couldn't find any med bots there, and there also wasn't a bot in PDX... It might be because I play on horde, maybe they decided to remove some med bots the higher your enemy difficulty to make it even harder.... or it's a glitch with Shifter+TNM.

Also.... tl;dr version: this and this
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There's a medbot idling around in the surgical area before the UC. It's not affected by the difficulty settings, I don't believe any medbots or repair bots are.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

They aren't, so it's probably a compatibility issue.

Or some NPC blew them up!
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

No, I am not a stingy gamer.

Especially in Deus Ex where a trained skill in lock-picking and mulitool use almost insurers you'll never run out of ether; without cheating.
Alginon
Mole Person

Post by Alginon »

uh, yes?
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Dead-eye, explosives are the other way of playing the game.

A LAM can go a long way.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

I guess I'm a stingy gamer.... I conserve everything but ammo... but I take my time to aim with my sniper rifle

I have a tendency to keep the max of all lockpicks, LAMS etc... however I will toss a LAM at a door if it means I can save lockpicks...

I'm the same way in other games... I carry hordes of ammo if it's unlimited....

I guess I'm a pack rat gamer! :giggle:
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Delta2501 wrote:Is anyone else here really stingy with their items in this and other games? I hardly ever wheel out my big guns and or use explosives on enemies (mainly for opening doors... to get more items), and am generally reluctant to use rarer items/ammo. Does anyone else always have tons of stuff left over by the end?

Anyone else inclined to fall into similar habits or just a habitual way of playing and need firm decisions to do things differently/try a new playstyle?
I tend to play very conservatively - if I don't need it, I don't use it. I tend to work around the inventory limits, and will use a LAM or DTS+Combat Strength aug instead of lockpicks if it seems to work out.

As those that know me from other places have learned, I tend to have to specify how I'm going to play and not deviate if I'm going to learn/take different tactics.
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

I tend to horde all my items and then play the style that requires the least amount of items. If the door has a key available, I'll go get it even if I have 20 lockpicks. It just bugs me that there could be a part of the game that I haven't explored.
My name is not Jeff.
TheConEgo
Thug

Post by TheConEgo »

Two words: Trinitrotoluene Crates.

They've saved me countless lockpicks and multitools in DX.

In the first mission of DX I always take one of the two TNT crates off to the right (after you get off the dock) and use it to simultaneously blow up the guard robot and the safe that's inside the small structure that it patrols.

I then use the other TNT crate that's by the northern dock to blow open the hatch to the sunken ship.
If I'm in a killing mood then I'll even use other crates to blow up at least 3 NSF at a time. :twisted:

being a packrat is why I enjoyed Oblivion so much.

You get houses with virtually limitless stocking potential.
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, and those who cannot.

Welcome to where time stands still
No one leaves and no one will
Moon is full, never seems to change
Just labeled mentally deranged
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

TheConEgo wrote: You get houses with virtually limitless stocking potential.
Unfortunately, the display cases have severe clipping issues and placing small items in them is a recipe for losing them. And placing big objects is a good way to make the physics engine go nuts.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

However, placing the corpse of your greatest fan in them can be hilarious.
TheConEgo
Thug

Post by TheConEgo »

Unfortunately, the display cases have severe clipping issues and placing small items in them is a recipe for losing them. And placing big objects is a good way to make the physics engine go nuts.
Why use them anyway?
You'd only be showing them off to fellow guild member/the cleaning lady/that dumbass adoring fan.

Which reminds me of a humorous story. First time I played Oblivion I took the adoring fan into the middle of the lake outside the imperial city and told him to stay there. "Here? How 'bout over there?" No, here.

Quite amusing seeing a little yellow speck in the lake from a couple hundred feet off.
However, placing the corpse of your greatest fan in them can be hilarious.
I've never tried that. Gotta get Oblivion back from my friend.

Also, is there any truth to Bethesda making the next Elder Scrolls an MMORPG?
I would be truly sad if this happened because I absolutely can't stand MMORPG's because of the amount of Meta-Gaming. The only time I like to play such things is if I have a small party of people who are willing to SERIOUSLY RP.
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, and those who cannot.

Welcome to where time stands still
No one leaves and no one will
Moon is full, never seems to change
Just labeled mentally deranged