Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Post by Jonas »

Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Interesting, but the only question I would want to ask would never be answered :/
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

This entire post will be linguistically pedantic and have nothing to do with Deus Ex or Deus Ex 3.
Jonas wrote:Well, not all revolutions are successful.
Is that actually true?

As far as I am aware success is required for something to be a revolution. It is certainly possible to linguistically construct things like "Failed Revolution" and "Unsuccessful Revolution" and so forth, and these terms are not without meaning, but are they actually revolutions?

For comparison, a failed conquest is definitely not a conquest, so you couldn't say, "Not all conquests are successful," because if it isn't successful it isn't a conquest. I think revolutions work that way too.

Looking at wiktionary (because I seem to recall that OiNutter prefers it) I get these definitions for revolution:
1. A political upheaval in a government or nation state characterized by great change.
2. The removal and replacement of a government.
3. The turning of an object around an axis.
4. In the case of celestial bodies - the traversal of one body through an orbit around another body.
5. A sudden, vast change in a situation, a discipline, or the way of thinking and behaving.

It looks to me like all of those require change to actually come about, it might not be the change intended by those who go about producing change, but there needs to be change. If you, for example, try to overthrow a government and fail that isn't a revolution (unless in so doing you produce great change in the government/nation/way of thinking.)
Audi
Thug

Post by Audi »

I think, actually, a Revolution could fail afterwards. Maybe it is wrong to say a revolution can fail or not, but the results of a revolution might fail during rebuilding the government with the ideas and the ideals of the revolutionists. If the news spread out and other enemies are found they could bring the revolutionary thoughts to a halt and rebuild the old system so, if I think straight, the revolution fails and is not successfull. Hope you get what I mean, because my english might be bad due to my german background :mrgreen:

Clearly as water that a revolution only is a revolution if it comes to a change of the government, but still there is a chance to fail after you succeeded in your plans. And if I am allowed to speak, Chris, damn, you are really as cynic as your name says ;)

As I am new, I want to introduce myself (god, where are my manners?). My names Audi, I am 18 and since I first found TNM back in the mid of 2009 I am a fan of all of you guys, hoping to have a good time here and still find someone who likes to hear Deus Ex thoughts and praises about their work in modding.

Greetz Audi
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

We never ever get sick of Deus Ex thoughts here. ;)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Audi
Thug

Post by Audi »

Tehe, I knew someone would say that. Know what, I found some creatures in my school that tell that DX is crap, all I knew was to blast them away with some sabot ammunition xD No, jokes later, I really know people like that and I was afraid I was the only one reachable who still tries to port Deus Ex to High End gamer PC's ans their not-Deus-Ex-playing owners :mrgreen:
Then I found this forum, and now I hope to get to know the modders of the greatest Mod for the greatest game ever ^^
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Audi wrote:I think, actually, a Revolution could fail afterwards. Maybe it is wrong to say a revolution can fail or not, but the results of a revolution might fail during rebuilding the government with the ideas and the ideals of the revolutionists. If the news spread out and other enemies are found they could bring the revolutionary thoughts to a halt and rebuild the old system so, if I think straight, the revolution fails and is not successfull. Hope you get what I mean, because my english might be bad due to my german background :mrgreen:
Your English is good enough to get your point across, and I see what you are saying. A revolution could succeed and then, after has succeeded, have what it accomplished undone. That is certainly true.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh, I don't know about the word itself. There's so many meanings, from "a big change" to a complete rotation back to the original position. Established governments (eg. Iran) occasionally use the term indefinitely, where any big changes only act against the continuing "revolution". I don't think much can be guessed about DX3 from the word itself beyond that Wiktionary definition #5 ("...vast change..."), but it's good to have those semantics written out. I guess the word is weaker than I hoped.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/ima ... 0_640w.jpg
Deus Ex 3: Neckbearded Smoker Big Change
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Where's DDL? If that guy keeps chuffing on the ciggies, he may very well need the aqualung aug. :mrgreen:
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Audi
Thug

Post by Audi »

chris the cynic wrote: Your English is good enough to get your point across, and I see what you are saying. A revolution could succeed and then, after has succeeded, have what it accomplished undone. That is certainly true.
Glad to hear I can still use my english in the way I want ^^ What I forgot: I think, after I read a bit about Deus Ex 3's story, I am certainly convinced, that it shouldn't be named revolution but evolution, in some way.... but this is just my view of things and I think the developers may know best ^^
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

The term 'revolution' is bandied around far too readily these days. Everything from toast to the iPhone is being labelled as a 'Revolution'. What the term implies is some sort of drastic and sudden change from the norm, normally along some extreme ideological lines. The success or failure of a revolution has to be measured in what it aimed to achieve, and where the current state of the revolution is today. Here's a few to consider:

French Revolution - Revolution by the middle and working classes against the politically, socially and economically oppressive upper classes. Successful in changing France's economy and political structure by overthrowing the monarchy and shifting control of the country to the middle class, but eventually led to the return of the monarchy and despotism with Nepoleon. Did have far reaching consequences for France in both political and social spheres. Considered by many to be a failed revolution when compared to what it intended to achieve, though it did achieve much.

Russian Revolution - Aimed to transform the Imperial feudal economy into a Communist powerhouse. Everything went awry with the death of Lenin and the fact that the economy was crap. Eventually led to the Cold War and a shift back to capitalism.

American Revolution - Aimed to seek independence from the Imperialist British. Considered to be a failure by many because of the loss of tea. Independence was successfully achieved.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

It's the technological Revolution of humans.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

loony636 wrote:The term 'revolution' is bandied around far too readily these days. Everything from toast to the iPhone is being labelled as a 'Revolution'.
It's a marketing term ;-)

Reminds me of Izzard's "Awesome hotdogs, 2.99$". "Houston, we're here on the moon. Mr. President, the view here of Earth is truly awesome" "What, like a hotdog?"

I'm surprised they didn't take it further and goofier, like Human REvolution.
Allan
NSF

Post by Allan »

justanotherfan wrote:I'm surprised they didn't take it further and goofier, like Human REvolution.
*audio clip of "RESIDENT EVIL!" here*
Click, and watch with false amazement as this dragon grows up.