Realistic too easy?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Allan
NSF

Re: Realistic too easy?

Post by Allan »

Angel-A wrote:If you didn't notice, in the game JC smokes the whole pack at once. And he does that in three seconds.
I didn't.

Now you mention it, I lol'd. A lot.
Click, and watch with false amazement as this dragon grows up.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

I certainly agree with you, realistic is way, way too easy. Quite a bore really. :?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Allan wrote:
Angel-A wrote:If you didn't notice, in the game JC smokes the whole pack at once. And he does that in three seconds.
I didn't.

Well last time I checked Armor wasn't consumerable in RL either :D. I think a similar cooldown could be applied to consumerables that way the effect is given over time rather than instantly. All Armor works on a cool down method. (personally though I'd love to see the Enivronmental skill boosted a bit (the skill for boosting these cooldowns) basically It'd give more incentive to use these items over the top of your Augs- otherwise its a completely useless skill, it always bugged me that Night Vision was never really that useful on liberty island when you get it, simply because it ran out too quick).
Allan
NSF

Post by Allan »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
Allan wrote:
I didn't.

Well last time I checked Armor wasn't consumerable in RL either :D. I think a similar cooldown could be applied to consumerables that way the effect is given over time rather than instantly. All Armor works on a cool down method.
Not quite sure what you mean there, but I'm getting something along the lines of you think the stuff like Ballistic Armour should go "*repeatedly being shot lots* *pickup dead*" rather than "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... *pickup dead*".
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Well what I was suggesting is the way ballasitics armor works is that when you equip it, that little icon pops up with a bar, which when the bar hits 0 that item is depleted, during the time that its active you're getting buffed by it.. With cigarettes the buff should ideally happen over time rather than instantly, it should also be possible to smoke while carrying weapons. (Night vision works the same way).

Smokes are however extremely useless, so unless you made them useful, I doubt anyone would desire it changed.

But still I'm all for increasing the usefulness of the Environmental skills- these are probably the most neglected for the wrong reasons- whereas Swimming is neglected for all the right reasons (as Yahtzee smugly pointed out in his song).
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Ballistic armour is insanely useful if you actually make the effort, though. At max enviro it lasts 4 times as long, and absorbs 87.5% of shot/autoshot/sabot AND exploded damage, unlike augBallistic (which is shot/autoshot-specific).

You can literally take a rocket to the chest, which is hilarious.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

DDL wrote:Ballistic armour is insanely useful if you actually make the effort, though. At max enviro it lasts 4 times as long, and absorbs 87.5% of shot/autoshot/sabot AND exploded damage, unlike augBallistic (which is shot/autoshot-specific).

You can literally take a rocket to the chest, which is hilarious.
Hmm interesting.. see I didn't realize that it could stop exploded damage too (Begins walking around mines recklessly). The only problem with it though is that well armor isn't all that common and the skill itself isn't all that useful at the start of the game. Saving the armor for later is all well and good but as a new player you'd probably use it right away.. and then add the fact that you're limited on inventory.

The other skills just seem so much more shiny in comparison. Computer, Lockpicking and Melee are usually the ones I go for and then later dump the skills into any additional weapon (usually pistol) I might need and multi-tools.

I should try an enviro runthrough though.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Have anyone ever actually played through the game without "computer"-skill?

I mean in fun-playthrough, not just trying to make the game harder?

Btw. Quick Trivia:
What is the code for Alex's closet at UNATCO HQ? AND where do you get that code?
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Allan
NSF

Post by Allan »

fantsu wrote:What is the code for Alex's closet at UNATCO HQ? AND where do you get that code?
2001, and err... no idea. I only got that code right by pure guesswork. Mostly involving "Hmm, it's 2001 (when I first played), let's try that. Woo!"
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Allan wrote:
fantsu wrote:What is the code for Alex's closet at UNATCO HQ? AND where do you get that code?
2001, and err... no idea. I only got that code right by pure guesswork. Mostly involving "Hmm, it's 2001 (when I first played), let's try that. Woo!"
Isn't the code in an email on a computer there.... not Gunthers though?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Answer:
You have to look the poster on Alex's wall.
It gives you a password, it is "Calvo".
It is the only way to get into Alex Jabobson's e-mail.
From there you can then find a post with the code to the locker: 2001
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.