Deus Ex on Intel Mac OSX?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

PV
Thug

Deus Ex on Intel Mac OSX?

Post by PV »

Hey guys, I was talking with some classmates at school about what our favourite games were and I mentioned Deus Ex.
I study Graphics Design tough, so most people here traditionally use their Macbooks (I use a regular laptop).
So I wondered if there are Mac users here that know a simple way to get it to work? I know there are probably complex workarounds, or using bootcamp, but I don't think anyone at my school actually uses that.
The game was a Mac native on release afaik, but that was in pre OS X and x64 architecture days, so compatibility has been broken.
Xesum
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex on Intel Mac OSX?

Post by Xesum »

OpenGL renderer. :)
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
PV
Thug

Post by PV »

Thanks for the quick reply :mrgreen:

So, if I understand. You mean the improved OpenGL renderer or the default one that comes with instal? As in, I can give out my Deus Ex GOTY disc or .iso and run it in OpenGL renderer and it will work?

If it's really this easy then It's awesome.
I read on other forums about people needing to use emulators and hacks and whatnot to get it to work.

Thing is I can't try it out myself as I don't own a Mac, my roommate has one tough, I'll ask if I can try it on his before I put up other people with figuring out the techy stuff.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Oh you have to use them too, it's just that the OpenGL renderer is important.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
PV
Thug

Post by PV »

Thanks for clarifying
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Just to clarify (for the purposes of completeness), the version of Deus Ex for Mac OS will only work for PowerPC computers. The Universal Binary was never released, so it wont work on Intel Macbooks.

That leaves you with two options; WINE or Bootcamp/Parallels. Parallels and BootCamp are boring, so we'll focus on WINE. Grab the latest version of wine here. If you want to just run Vanilla Deus Ex, follow the instructions here. It is very possible, so post back here if you're having trouble (sticky much?).