DX3 Trailer of the Trailer

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Ishindri
NSF

Re: DX3 Trailer of the Trailer

Post by Ishindri »

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=249646

So, the full E3 trailer has been released... I'll admit, I'm deeply split. On one hand, I am so hopeful for it to take after DX in gameplay and story, but on the other, I guess I'm a little iffy about the art direction. We'll see. Still no real ingame stuff, I'm afraid.
All is well. We are not like the others.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Useless cinematics. No sell.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Really loving the overall vibe from the music which is cool, looks like they at least got that bit right. In terms of cinematics this is easily the best I've seen from Square Enix, putting even their films to shame.

In terms of the technology everything seems a lot better than the tech they had during Deus Ex 1.. hell it looks better than Invisible Wars, I find it difficult to accept that all this technology was just discarded- It doesn't feel like the same Deus Ex world.

There were a few cyberpunk cliches in that trailer however, like the Riots- I mean how many times have we seen this scene before. And the story sounds to be filled with the same cliches- but then I suspect this is why everyone played Deus Ex 1 in the first place LOL, however some people might look down on it for not breaking away from this and potentially innovating a "dead" sub-genre of science fiction.

The mind control Augmentation seems a bit too much. As cool as it would be to use it, it totally ignores the canon and as a result makes this technology seem ever more unrealistic.

And I'm also VERY worried that the game will be another MGS4 where its more film than game.

Overall all the trailer is, is hype inducing. People will likely go nuts about it, but after the teaser and now this trailer, we still have no gameplay.. and that's the most important part. From the screenshots I have seen though the game has a similar 3rd person mode to Rainbow Six Vegas 2 allowing you to duck into cover and then the camera pans out to an over the shoulder shooter.. It might be good.. it might be bad.. but its a huge deviation over the gameplay of the past two games- and some will definitely say it lowers the realism since now you can peak around corners without exposing yourself.

From what we keep hearing about the gameplay though, some of the mechanics trouble me- I keep scratching my head trying to figure out how they can be exploited, how they'll all work together and how they won't work together- its a bit hard without footage.

Also I PRAY they release a Mod SDK. First thing I'm doing is removing the brown, as much as I like the atmosphere it creates, its NOT Deus Ex's atmosphere, so I'd love to try my hand at implementing the Escape from New York (or Gibson- but he's been quoted stating that EFNY was what inspired his works) vibe the original game had.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Here is some in game stuff: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109638

Edit: Half the game is going to be 3ed person. The cover system is essentially a clone of Rainbow six, and there are also instant take downs that are also 3ed person.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIVzdgqwNEk

I made some edits to the trailer to make it look more like Deus Ex 1. Sadly there is a lot of colours missing due to my n00bish skill with AE. But I'm willing to learn how to use it a bit better (ie. Masks and what not) if I get the chance to go and mod the game. But yeah, there's the concept and jist of what I want to mod into the game.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

That was cool, made it look much more Deus Ex'ish. People's skin looked terrible though :/

Also: Where is my HUD?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

People's skin looked terrible though
Yeah I tried my best to fix it but brown on slightly brighter brown = not good, as a result AE had trouble with these spots.

I'll see what I can do to correct it. I might try fixing the screenshots, I'm much stronger with Photoshop than AE.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4466 ... shothv.png

So this was really the rough idea of what I was trying to do.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4466 ... shothv.png

Looks awesome.

I still wonder why there is no HUD though, are the devs going for "Ubisoft immersion" ala AC?
odio ergo sum
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Jaedar wrote:
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4466 ... shothv.png

Looks awesome.

I still wonder why there is no HUD though, are the devs going for "Ubisoft immersion" ala AC?
Doubtful this is the case. I would think rather they've just gone "HUD = Off" for these screenshots, usually the HUD is the last thing to get implemented with games as it goes through many different variants before they find one they like and stick with it- well that's been my experience working on games anyway. It is also possible that they've turned them off out of fear people might get a bit peeved with what they look like at this point in time.. (remember the huge deal that was made over IWar's one?)

Lets also not forget that all of the features need to be programmed first before they can get to building GUIs for them all.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote: Lets also not forget that all of the features need to be programmed first before they can get to building GUIs for them all.
Maybe.... but I'm not convinced.
odio ergo sum
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXiEVyDb_VY

Ok I fixed the video based on what you said Jaedar. Hopefully the skin looks better than before. I'll upload a HD version shortly.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Just got an email about the new trailer; it looks awesome. I so cannot wait. Mind you, I doubt I'll get to actually play it, 'cos I don't have a gaming console, but I can read the walkthrough's and spoilers.
wink wonk
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Grammatolatry wrote:Just got an email about the new trailer; it looks awesome. I so cannot wait. Mind you, I doubt I'll get to actually play it, 'cos I don't have a gaming console, but I can read the walkthrough's and spoilers.
I recommend getting the PC version over it, it'll look 100x better. If you're lucky the game will be well enough optimized to run on most mid-end machines.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXiEVyDb_VY

Ok I fixed the video based on what you said Jaedar. Hopefully the skin looks better than before. I'll upload a HD version shortly.
Looks awesome. The Helios scene and Adam's neck still feel a bit awkward, but the rest is absolutely brilliant. Ravishingly well done chap. =D>
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote: I recommend getting the PC version over it, it'll look 100x better. If you're lucky the game will be well enough optimized to run on most mid-end machines.
Depends on the UI tbh....
odio ergo sum