Shifter + HDTP troubleshooting

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Hal900x
Mole Person

Shifter + HDTP troubleshooting

Post by Hal900x »

Hi guys. I've got Deus Ex goty with HDTP and New Vision installed. I use the DX9 1.3 renderer from cwdohnal mostly. Anyway today I installed Shifter 1.8.3. Procedure was as follows: extract DeusEx.U and DeusEx.int to system folder, copy HDTpanim.utx from .\HDTP\Textures up to .\Textures. That's it.

I guess my first question is, will Shifter + HDTP play well with New Vision? I assumed it would, but having read the entire readmes of all 3, perhaps I'm wrong. If not, then I have my answer. If so, read on...

There are signs that Shifter is installed. Namely, the process for the .exe now calls itself "Deus Ex with Shifter" or some such. And in the keybinds, I can see that there is now an added option for alt-fire, defaulting to middle mouse button. However, the keybinds don't look quite as they should according to the readme.

Keybinds for fire, use, alt-fire and drop item are the first four keybinds listed. The Fire and Use buttons (left and right mouse, respectively) work correctly. Alt-Fire (middle button) does not Alt-Fire, but rather drops the item in hand just as it always did. Drop item (backspace) does not drop the item, but rather puts it away. Lastly, there is no longer a keybind for putting the item away. According to the Shifter readme, it should now appear at the bottom of the keybinds list, but it's just gone.

The behavior is vaguely like what the author says will happen if you fail to copy over the DeusEx.int file correctly. However, I have done this several times and triple-checked the timestamps and sizes.

I notice that HDTP has it's own DeusEx.U file in it's own System subfolder, and I thought about copying this up to the main System folder (or vice versa) thinking perhaps this is some kind of conflict between the HDTP DeusEx.U and the Shifter DeusEx.U. But I have no knowledge of it's function and figured I'd best leave it where it's intended until I have more information. That's where you good people come in. And just to be clear: you only need to install Shifter into the default System folder, right? You dont need to also drop the Shifter files into HDTP's System folder do you? Thanks.
EER
Illuminati

Re: Shifter + HDTP troubleshooting

Post by EER »

AFAIK, Shifter has some code that detects the presence of HDTP, then loads the HDTP models instead of the normal models. New Vision should not impact other mods if you overwrite your original texture files (after making a back up ofcourse).

So yes, I believe everything should work just fine together.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Installing Shifter and Newvision is a piece of cake. Just overwriting things and for New Vision, doing slight .ini editing and it should work.
Then do the same altering in the HDTP.ini so that Newvision works with that .exe should do the trick.
And that should there for also make HDTP work with Shifter.
I'm not sure if that answers the question but that's all i know.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Hal900x
Mole Person

Post by Hal900x »

nerdenstein wrote:Installing Shifter and Newvision is a piece of cake. Just overwriting things and for New Vision, doing slight .ini editing and it should work.
Then do the same altering in the HDTP.ini so that Newvision works with that .exe should do the trick.
And that should there for also make HDTP work with Shifter.
I'm not sure if that answers the question but that's all i know.
Can you be more specific, which .ini (besides HDTP.ini) and what entries? I didn't see any documentation along these lines for New Vision...just overwriting textures. As the previous poster said, Shifter is already supposed to be HDTP-aware and compliant out of the box. Thanks.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

You should get a read me file with the OpenGL renderer that you've gotta stick in the System Folder.
That should tell you, I can't tell you offhand and I haven't got the mod installed on my laptop,
But if you follow what alteration you need to make to the Deusex.ini and do the same to HDTP.ini file, should sort it.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Okay, WHICH System folder did you install DeusEx.u to? It should be in C:\DeusEx\System. HDTP should have its stuff installed to C:\DeusEx\HDTP\System. Once that's done you should run the DeusEx.exe located in C:\DeusEx\System.

When you bring up the Deus Ex menu you SHOULD see "Shifter v1.8.3" in text in the bottom left. If it just lists the normal Deus Ex version (v1112fm) then Shifter hasn't loaded for whatever reason. If you DO see that and are still getting weird drop item/etc. issues, LET ME KNOW because that will be a bug I've never encountered.

Hope this helps. If not, I can ramble more.
Hal900x
Mole Person

Post by Hal900x »

I think the problem is, I was trying to run from the HDTP shortcut instead of the main exe. I DID try running from the vanilla .exe earlier, but at that time I had an unrelated bug which crashed the game when running that way. I have since resolved that other bug, so it had been a while since I tried launching Shifter from the regular Deus Ex executable. Anyway, that worked, thanks. You might add that to your next readme for HDTP users, something along the lines of "HDTP users, be sure and run Deus Ex from the main executable in the .\Deusex\System folder" or something similar for us denser folk. Thanks much for the quick reply.

BTW: any particular issue with running New Vision with Shifter? Doesn't seem to be...NV just replaces some default textures right? Should be seamless I would think, but what do I know...