Is it that hard to get banned on OTP?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Is it that hard to get banned on OTP?

Post by Jaedar »

I find the political correctness in this thread to be quite amusing.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

So yeah, racism. On the internet, everybody is equal. So you would think that racism does not exist on the web, however, still I would be surprised when I meet any (and I do mean ANY) of you and you would appear to be black. Is that racism? Maybe. Do you guys assume everyone has the same colour as you? I wonder why that is.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Well we have a few forumites from the south east Asia region so I doubt they all would be Caucasian. Being surprised by someone's skin colour having never met them doesn't count as racism in my book. Classing somebody by the colour of their skin is a whole other story. The colour of their skin has everything to do with geography and nothing to do with their right to exist.
If you think that's political correctness Jaedar so be it, it's a value I believe in... not some verbal stroking.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I find that the term "political correctness" is surprisingly often synonymous with "basic human decency". Really, it depends on context - political correctness is rarely necessary in comedy (though if you're using homophobia or racism to be funny, you better be really fucking funny), but in any ethical, philosophical, or, you know, political debate, if you're not politically correct, you're almost without fail a complete and utter shit. I don't know how or why political correctness has become such a big joke given that it basically means not being a bigoted fuckwad.

Of course it can be taken too far - for example, you shouldn't avoid swearing just because some people find it offensive, you should just avoid swearing so much (or so uncreatively) that it makes you sound like you just don't have that much of a vocabulary. But anything can be taken too far, even patently awesome things such as giving candy to children.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Come to think of it, "politically correct" may be such a joke because it tends to describe politicians changing their behaviour and censoring their own opinions to be more palatable to as many voters as possible - which is to say, they're hypocritical in their political correctness. Clearly that's not what's going on here, as we are not in fact racist or homophobic (at least I should like to think not). So if that's what you mean, are you implying that I am secretly a racist homophobe, but I'm just acting like I'm not when I post on these forums? Because if so... well, you're wrong. Obviously ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

Image :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jonas wrote:political correctness is rarely necessary in comedy (though if you're using homophobia or racism to be funny, you better be really fucking funny)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

Jonas wrote:
Jonas wrote:political correctness is rarely necessary in comedy (though if you're using homophobia or racism to be funny, you better be really fucking funny)
my problem with this is, what if you're only fucking funny? is it innapropriate than to to be racist then?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

EER wrote:So yeah, racism. On the internet, everybody is equal.
Except some are more equal than others. And some congregate on so called forums where some are given(or take) the powers of the gods themselves, and some linger as mortals.

People aren't equal. Never were, never will be. We also have no intrinsic value, its all just opinions, and opinions, no matter how uncomfortable or utterly devoid of intelligence they are, have a right to be voiced. Freedom of thought & Speech > any group of people's level of perceived discrimination.

Racists and racism are quite funny imo, except then I realize they're serious and die a little inside. And then I take solace in the fact that I have never met one(afaik), and probably never will.
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jaedar wrote:Except some are more equal than others.
That's communism.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Xesum wrote:
Jaedar wrote:Except some are more equal than others.
That's communism.
So if everyone is equal, that's communism, and if everyone is not equal, that is racism?

Perfectly reasonable.
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Well yeah, Communists aren't racist, Stalin killed everyone, not just selected groups of people like Hitler.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

I, myself, do not discriminate, as I hate and lament everyone equally. We are all equal, equally stupid.