Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leaked Gameplay

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leaked Gameplay

Post by chris the cynic »

There's nothing wrong with not citing a source, I don't unless asked. Often times a citation isn't necessary.

The reason I asked is because what I've heard (from the developers, via interviews) is a litany of ways that it won't be the same. (Augs, skills, and non-ranged combat will all be pretty different, there will be multiple forced boss fights where you have to kill the boss, health regeneration, a single type of ammo per weapon...) Now it could be that changes make it better than Deus Ex, it could be that they make it worse, it could be that they make it neither better nor worse but simply different. In any case I wouldn't call it "exactly the same."

What (little) I've seen of the gameplay also makes me incredulous when someone says the gameplay will be exactly the same.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

True, I think as long as they just slightly add a few things and keep all of the gameplay elements from the first they will be on the right track. The over glorified quote "Don't fix it if it ain't broken" really represents the legacy of Deus Ex, so I don't see how people would be disappointed if they didn't change much and kept it almost exactly like the first game, as I've seen that stated in many testimonies to the leaked gameplay footage of DX3.

And as I said before I refuse to look at the gameplay because I don't want to spoil the suprise, just several months ago I discovered Deus Ex and played it...So I can't imagine the anticipation and expectations for you all, and the rest of the fans out there who have been waiting a decade for a proper Deus Ex return.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Undisputed wrote:True, I think as long as they just slightly add a few things and keep all of the gameplay elements from the first they will be on the right track. The over glorified quote "Don't fix it if it ain't broken" really represents the legacy of Deus Ex, so I don't see how people would be disappointed if they didn't change much and kept it almost exactly like the first game, as I've seen that stated in many testimonies to the leaked gameplay footage of DX3.

And as I said before I refuse to look at the gameplay because I don't want to spoil the suprise, just several months ago I discovered Deus Ex and played it...So I can't imagine the anticipation and expectations for you all, and the rest of the fans out there who have been waiting a decade for a proper Deus Ex return.
Only to find out we're not actually getting a proper Deus Ex sequel.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

gamer0004 wrote:
Undisputed wrote:True, I think as long as they just slightly add a few things and keep all of the gameplay elements from the first they will be on the right track. The over glorified quote "Don't fix it if it ain't broken" really represents the legacy of Deus Ex, so I don't see how people would be disappointed if they didn't change much and kept it almost exactly like the first game, as I've seen that stated in many testimonies to the leaked gameplay footage of DX3.

Only to find out we're not actually getting a proper Deus Ex sequel.
Don't be quick to assume, if they really kept everything from previous installments and add more then why be pessimistic? In fact, you will all be in for a treat if your expectations are low for this game :P

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION GAME SUMMARY:
A huge cyberpunk story with conspiracies.
Non-linear, multi-path, multi-solution gameplay.
Different ways to solve any objective depending on your play style (social, hacking, stealth or action).
Character and weapon customisation.
Action/RPG just like the first game.
Choices and consequences.
A semi-open world approach to levels and missions.
Different characters to meet and interact with.
An inventory system similar to DX1.
It's not a sandbox. It's not totally linear. It's like the best of both of those approaches.
Random explorable elements with earned experience points.
Global travel.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841

Check out that link, there is useful info in there to pull your hopes up a bit, although you will all be shocked if you think this game will be a fail and not live up to the first..
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Undisputed wrote:Don't be quick to assume, if they really kept everything from previous installments and add more then why be pessimistic?
They didn't keep everything from the previous installments.

Whether that is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion, and uninformed opinion since no one here has played it, but that it is true is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of clearly stated widely available fact.

So, probably not the best idea to start by saying, "if they really kept everything from previous installments..."

-

For what it's worth, I hope your optimism is rewarded.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

What did they take out? Let me know
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Undisputed wrote:What did they take out? Let me know
multiple ammo types per weapon. Skills(we get upgradeable augs instead), consistency with canon.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

Jaedar wrote: multiple ammo types per weapon..
I didn't know that.
Jaedar wrote:Skills(we get upgradeable augs instead) .
I've heard about the upgradable mods but I could of swore the lead developer say we have skills as well in a interview..
Jaedar wrote:consistency with canon.
What?
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Jaedar wrote:
multiple ammo types per weapon. Skills(we get upgradeable augs instead), consistency with canon.
As well as the old health system with locational damage and shadow stealth (as well as a believable setting).
Oh and they've added LOTS of situational third person view.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

gamer0004 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
locational damage
I'm 100% sure they have limb damage it was shown in the first teaser trailer, yeah I agree the regeneration system is questionable, but it might be good...I'm sure they will have healing items as well though, and I'm pretty sure shadow stealth was shown in the trailer too..
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

They've specifically said they wouldn't have shadow stealth because they want the stealth system to work as well in daylight as it does at night. You're probably right about healing items though, I seem to recall reading they'd be using the same tiered regeneration system as Far Cry 2.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Undisputed wrote:
gamer0004 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
locational damage
I'm 100% sure they have limb damage it was shown in the first teaser trailer, yeah I agree the regeneration system is questionable, but it might be good...I'm sure they will have healing items as well though, and I'm pretty sure shadow stealth was shown in the trailer too..
You mean the leaked gameplay? I don't remember having seen locational damage.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRryhHGa51A

1:28 I believe that may be the integration of the mod that gives you advanced info of your enemies, I never tried it in the first but I will later. If they put that in the cinematic but not the game itself that would be a major slap in the face, its a simple gameplay aspect to add anyways so I'm sure that was a brief gameplay shot and that it will be in there....
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Undisputed wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRryhHGa51A

1:28 I believe that may be the integration of the mod that gives you advanced info of your enemies, I never tried it in the first but I will later. If they put that in the cinematic but not the game itself that would be a major slap in the face, its a simple gameplay aspect to add anyways so I'm sure that was a brief gameplay shot and that it will be in there....
That's a CGI teaser trailer, not gameplay footage, and it's not even made by the developers of DXHR; therefore it bears no resemblance to what the game is going to be like. Watch the leaked gameplay and see for yourself there is no sign of locational damage. Also, I meant a health system with locational damage; i.e. where the player character can get hurt in specific areas of his body. As there is health regeneration "similar to CoD" it's highly unlikely (almost impossible*) to have locational damage.

*For it to have any effect why people like locational damage.
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon