Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

nerdenstein
Illuminati

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Post by nerdenstein »

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Nope this isnt a new mod i have come across or am developing.
This is infact the name of Deus Ex 3..
On February 4th 2010, Square Enix filed a patent with the US Patent and Trademark Office for "Deus Ex: Human Revolution", which in gaming reporting circles is seen as strongly suggesting that this will be Deus Ex 3's official title.
Dispite only being in early into development, I am interested in the gameplay concept and story.
Anyone have an Story Plot or Gameplay theorys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_3
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Post by Jaedar »

*insert rant about streamlined and watered down RPG elements here, preferably using the term 'dumbed down' several times*

Still, having said all that, I still think DX3 will be a decent game. We haven't really seen any gameplay or ingame screenshots yet though, so I doubt it is even remotely near release.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Yeah,
To be honest, Even if it turns out to be as 'Dumbed down' as DX:IW, I'll still end up playing it just cause it Deus Ex :mrgreen:
By the looks of it, I don't think it will. The concept of having new Mechanial Augs rather than Nano Augs seems kinda cool :P
And I hope they keep the skills system and improve on the whole RPG part of the game but thats just personal preferance. :smile:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

It isn't a very good name IMO. But then neither was Invisible War.

Should have just called it Deus Ex Renaissance.

Simply, this is going to be a bitch to put on the box. You'll have to shrink the text to fit it all in and it won't look nearly as edgy. I hope they reconsider.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I think it's a good title. Intellectual. Interesting. Political and big-picture. It could have been Deus Ex: Cyborg Gunblaze, but this gives me some hope that they'll have a good story. Every game targets that audience, but I don't like DX being a generic shooter. It could have been more catchy, and shorter, but I like the word "Human" in there.

Was just thinking, there was a backlash against mechs, maybe their story includes an actual "revolution". The NSF could have begun then. I'm sure ChrisTheCynic has the details on their genesis ;-)

It is likely to be their standing plan for the name if they've patented it, but that can still change. eMail if you hate it.

I kinda liked "Invisible War", Terrorism and the invisible stealthy war behind the scenes...still, that didn't match the game well (didn't Detroit die or something?).
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

justanotherfan wrote:I think it's a good title. Intellectual. Interesting. Political and big-picture. It could have been Deus Ex: Cyborg Gunblaze, but this gives me some hope that they'll have a good story. Every game targets that audience, but I don't like DX being a generic shooter. It could have been more catchy, and shorter, but I like the word "Human" in there.
I don't really see much of a way to make the title make sense.

If we're talking about revolution like the French Revolution then who are the humans rebelling against? If it is the Illuminati then it might as well be called, "The Failed Revolution" because they've got a few more years of easy sailing, and when they are overthrown it would be more accurate to call it the MJ12 Revolution.

If we're talking about something like the Industrial Revolution then that would imply that the humanity didn't exist in a significant world shaping form before it. Which they kinda sorta did.

If I go through other values of revolution I'm still not finding anything that makes sense.
Was just thinking, there was a backlash against mechs, maybe their story includes an actual "revolution". The NSF could have begun then. I'm sure ChrisTheCynic has the details on their genesis ;-)
Yes I do. The NSF got their official start as a result of the Sporting Weapons Act of 2042. This pissed off a lot of people who, united by Leon Woods, eventually formed the NSF. (This can be found in the game in the helpful bulletin entitled "Know Your Enemy - NSF.)

This should also be understood in the context of the 2030 West Coast earthquake, which caused more or less the entire West Coast to be declared a disaster area and left the US teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. The government focusing all of its attention of the West Coast left the rest of the country feeling neglected. In 2031 Utah said it intended to secede from the US and declared independence, claiming Arizona and Nevada (what remained of them at any rate) as their own. Then fringe groups in Texas declared independence, that was "followed shortly thereafter by a group made up of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming -- the Northwest Secessionist Forces, antecedent of the NSF (National Secessionist Forces)." (Most of this is from the Deus Ex Bible)

There are two ways of reading this and I shift between them.

On the one hand you could assume that the Northwest Secessionist Forces were founded in response to the 2042 law. This view can be supported by the bulletin saying of those united under Woods, "Their intended goal: the "liberation" of Washington, Montana, Oregon, and Northern California."

On the other hand the description in the bulletin says that splinter groups from every state joined in and were united by Leon Woods so it could be argued that the National Secessionist Forces were formed in response to the 2042 legislation and thus Northwest Secessionist Forces were formed earlier. If that is the case we don't have any indication on when exactly the Northwest Secessionist Forces were formed, but it would have to be some time between 2031 and 2042.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Well, I could see the Renaissance being described as a human cultural revolution, but all we've seen is a retro renaissance dress fashion. The NSF would be more of a human revolt against mechs, but there's already a ton of detail behind the NSF's motivations/genesis as you posted Chris...still, the "anti-mech" discrimination could be what they're thinking.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I think human revolution is all about the "who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become" thing in the trailer. Either its humans revolting against their superior cyborg overlords, or its humans changing into cyborg overlords(which is also a revolution of sorts).

That's what I think anyway.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'm kinda with Jaedar on this. The second part of his point in particular. Flesh and blood can't naturally evolve into something mech, but it can be "turned" into one. So perhaps the becoming more than human is the revolution in this case.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Which is also the only thing I can come up with. Redefining humanity, as the Deus Ex Continuity Bible would put it. The problem with that is the problem with most of the things we've heard about Deus Ex 3, that being Deus Ex.

In Deus Ex we see that if humanity has been redefined by mechs the redefinition was of the form, "There is now a new type of person. These new people are scary sucky creatures who, while useful, are subhuman." That's not a revolution in thinking, nor much of anything else. That's the way we've treated different looking people who can be made to service us for a very long time.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well, not all revolutions are successful.

Seriously though, they could've called it anything and you would've still been disgruntled. Just give it a rest.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: Seriously though, they could've called it anything and you would've still been disgruntled. Just give it a rest.
I wasn't disgrunteled when they called it Deus Ex 3.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'm not sure I believe you.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:I'm not sure I believe you.
Well I'm not sure I beleive you saying you're not sure you beleive me!

I'm sorry.... that was low.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Oh goody, a Chip 'n' Dale cartoon. :lol:
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional