Please help me test my replacement deusex.exe

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Oetker
Mole Person

Please help me test my replacement deusex.exe

Post by Oetker »

Hi,

I'm the guy that made the dx10 renderer and the fixer app. I've been investigating making a new version of the fixer and this time I want to address the issues at the root instead of working around them. To that end, I've made a new deusex.exe and I'd like you guys to give me some feedback on it.

I'd especially appreciate feedback from people for whom the game runs too fast / jittery with a normal unpatched game; (un)fortunately it runs rather well for me to begin with. Please disable vsync while testing. Apart from seeing if it prevents odd performance to begin with, I'm also curious whether or not it introduces new problems, such as problems with the camera.

Features:
-Game runs on a single CPU
-Uses alternate timing method that should not be influenced by CPU throttling.
-World is updated at maximum of 60fps, rendering is done as fast as possible. I.e. don't need vsync to prevent speedups.
-Game works with Data Execution Prevention (DEP) set to opt-out
-Game pauses while window not in focus/minimized instead of pegging a CPU core.
-No mouse acceleration/ballistics on player view (menu cursors unmodified).

Known issues:
-Can't write config and saves if lacking privileges for its folder (does not use virtual store) (might solve this my converting game to the 'modern' approach of saving in the user files folder).
-Music keeps running whilst game paused because of not being in focus.
-Needs an existing deusex.ini (original exe needs to have been run once first).

Here's the link:
http://dump.kentie.net/DeusExe-test.zip

At a later stage the rest of the old fixer's capabilities will be integrated with this.

Feedback on my other projects is welcome too, of course. Thanks in advance.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Please help me test my replacement deusex.exe

Post by bobby 55 »

Firstly thanks for the fix, it really is a great help with the modern systems. I couldn't get D3D 10 to 'take', however I'll give this a try after a fresh install, and if there's no trouble getting it running I'll leave some feed back probably by next week-end.

Edit: I've got the exe installed, that you have Kentie's and NVSHacker's fixes already in combination .....awesome. I'll play DX before and after work this week. Would posting on this thread do?

I don't know if you want this but in the interest of testing: Windows 7 Home Premium
: 2 gigahertz Intel Core Duo
: NVidia GT 230
: 23 inch HP Touchsmart monitor
: Realtek HD audio.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I got to play for 45 minutes this morning. The game seems to be running fine so far although without New Vision installed it looks a bit dull. There's been no issues of note so far except when *interfacing with that med-bot you find just after exiting the dock. When I use the cursor the point of view behind the interface moves but when using the equipment interface it's situation normal. There have been no sound issues at this time either.

* The med-bot interface is slightly opaque (translucent might be a better term) . I don't recall if that is the way it's always been.

The med-bot thing is even worse with the one in Jaime's office. I got dizzy using it to install an aug canister. :D
The background moves as you use the cursor in the interface.

I had to use a few of the fixers when I had Pro 64 (when I upgraded to Core Duo) and had sound crashes with rendering issues as well. Your exe seems to have put a stop to that and Deus Ex is playing how it used to when I had XP Home Edition and a single processor installed. The only weirdness camera wise has been some of the angles the characters are viewed from in coversations, though that happened with the original exe too.
I still have a fair way to go before I've done a complete playthrough, but it's been a smooth run so far ....... med-bot interface aside.
The same thing happened with a bot when I was recharging bio-energy as is happening with med-bots.

Will it be possible to install mods with this new exe?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I played through the warehouse mission, where I've had a crash or two in the past, with out a problem. If I can get through Hong Kong without a freeze up or crash I'll be prepared to say you have a stable and nifty piece of work with this exe. :)

Hong Kong has been completed without a problem. As my multicore is pretty meek compared to some, and I don't have speedstepping, I'd be interested to hear how people with a quadcore find this exe. The game has run smoothly, and apart from the bot interface, there hasn't been any glitches I can discern. It will be greater still when you have "configuration" added to the starting menu.
Ishindri
NSF

Post by Ishindri »

I installed it on my brother's DX install - he's running Windows 7. It's the only thing that has worked so far for controlling the 'runs too fast' issue. No crashes or major glitches so far, the only issue is that the sound is a bit crackly/warped. Mainly happens during conversation, but some in world environments as well.
All is well. We are not like the others.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I didn't have any sound issues with the new exe.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Interesting stuff! How is it being done? Must be brilliant with a hex editor ;-)
tolknaz
Mole Person

Post by tolknaz »

Ishindri wrote:I installed it on my brother's DX install - he's running Windows 7. It's the only thing that has worked so far for controlling the 'runs too fast' issue. No crashes or major glitches so far, the only issue is that the sound is a bit crackly/warped. Mainly happens during conversation, but some in world environments as well.
Occasionally crackling sound is a known issue with many games based on unreal engine 1. I believe it can be remedied by tweaking a sound latency setting in the .ini file.