ENB vs. DirectX 10

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Rain
Thug

ENB vs. DirectX 10

Post by Rain »

Which do you prefer for giving DX a graphical facelift: the ENB series release or DirectX 10 renderer?

No, ENB doesn't stretch a condom over everything. :lol: It does create occasional texture glitches where muzzle flashes tend to make the walls, for lack of a better word, vibrate, but other than that I think it's an awesome look. Bloom, shadows, bumpmapping. It's all good.

The DirectX 10 Renderer has it own problems. For instance, bumpmapping makes everything look weird and grainy. High Dynamic Range is awesome, but the bloom and shadow effects are less noticeable, or more importantly: less configurable. Apparently you can use some sort of pre-built algorithm instead of the "forced" bumpmapping... anyone know what that might be?

If only I could combine the effects of ENB with DX10...

Also, something strange: when I use DX10 a much nicer looking UNATCO seal is present in the game, but with black borders. Failed alpha, I guess.

However, when I use ENB it uses the default seal. Is it built into the DX10 files, maybe? : /
Morpheus
X-51

Re: ENB vs. DirectX 10

Post by Morpheus »

With DX10 render, you can se the black mask tex on NPCs which your not meant to see this is probably the issue with the UNATCO texture, not to do with textures themselves.

I don't like much of ENB, it can over brighten areas. I was using it when playing redsun2020 and when I turned it on, you couldn't see many of the signs due to being too bright. Also the textures tend not to look realistic, look like they have been coated in plastic or something. If you could have the effects of ENB without the funny looking textures on areas. Also when plying Redsun2020, if you use the ENB, look up at the sky on Hybriza Plaza (or whatever its name is) and the sky doesn't look right at all.

I'd prefer DX10 as ENB is over bight, textures look plastic or look like they are coated in a metal paint. Remove that from ENB, don't have over brightened areas with bloom, keep the shadow effects and add DX10 support and you might have something good, but as it is, ENB ins't a favourite of mine, DX10 is but the few problems such as the black mask tex showing up or sometimes seeing pink mask tex is an issue.
Last edited by Morpheus on Wed May 04, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

DX10, simply because the ENB series trashes the entire look of the game. I'd like it if it was just Bloom but IIRC you can't have "just" bloom - it's all or nothing. Also it will be the only way to get sweet, sweet Normal Maps if I have the time to make them for New Vision.

Also the UNATCO seal is because I compiled the package wrong. It would be in ENB too but UseS3TC=True must not be in your .INI settings for it, because you're using the original textures.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Uh Rain, didn't you switch those screenshots around? It looks like the top 3 are with D3D10 and the bottom 3 are with ENB. At least I certainly don't recall the D3D10 renderer adding bloom to the game.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Rain
Thug

Post by Rain »

Well, S3TC was false. Anyway...

Earlier, I said that I wish I could combine ENB with DirectX 10, and now... I've kind of accomplished just that. xD I downloaded the ENB release for Richard Burns Rally (because it uses DirectX 10), replaced my d3d9 DLL and kept my old enbseries config. What I got was all the bumpmapping of the DX10 renderer, the bloom of ENB series and none of the mess! It is way too dark right now, so it's going to take some tweaking of my config before it looks just right, but here's the result.

Rain
Thug

Post by Rain »

Now I feel smart. 8)
In actuality, all that I did was enable S3TC textures, which made the New Vision stuff show up with ENB.

Well, on the bright side I get my New Vision textures with ENB. Not bad.
Last edited by Rain on Thu May 05, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I'd rather use the DX10 Renderer with New Vision, though I do think the ENB Series does make some areas look rather nice.
Not that I saw a huge improvement using the Dx10 Renderer though.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I noticed that the ENB render makes text and textures on menus, inventory, belt (possibly others but unsure)... look softer and text harder to read. If your able Rain to fix that, would help
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:I'd rather use the DX10 Renderer with New Vision, though I do think the ENB Series does make some areas look rather nice.
The DX10 renderer doesn't really improve the look of the game - it makes masked textures look a little nicer but that's about it. The huge improvement will come with Normal Maps, of course.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

DaveW wrote:
nerdenstein wrote:I'd rather use the DX10 Renderer with New Vision, though I do think the ENB Series does make some areas look rather nice.
The DX10 renderer doesn't really improve the look of the game - it makes masked textures look a little nicer but that's about it. The huge improvement will come with Normal Maps, of course.
I think the big improvement will be New Vision textures and HDTP when its done, regardless of DX10/ENB or not
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Fair point. I didn't know that!

Rain, Can you send me the link to the ENB Dx10 Version thing you were using?
Rain
Thug

Post by Rain »

nerdenstein wrote:Fair point. I didn't know that!

Rain, Can you send me the link to the ENB Dx10 Version thing you were using?
It's actually just the ENB Series with S3TC enabled, making the New Vision stuff show up. :P
But here's my ENB config if anyone wants it. Updated from the last screenshots.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20304463/RainsENB.rar
dains
Thug

Post by dains »

For the DX ini and int nubblecakes in the audience (me), where does one enable UseS3TC=True ? In DeusEx.ini under the D3D section?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

dains wrote:For the DX ini and int nubblecakes in the audience (me), where does one enable UseS3TC=True ? In DeusEx.ini under the D3D section?
Yes, near the bottom of the INI there will be settings for each renderer. I think ENB is under D3D9 or something.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

If you have the ENB series installed (or are using the Direct X 9 Renderer on it's own of course), you'll want to find the line that says;[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice] And find the line below that that says 'UseS3TC=False' and change it too true. If it already says True then you're fine.
I was going to paste my own .ini settings in too show you but my DX9 settings are rather long.