Let's Play Deus Ex... Co-op.

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Rain
Thug

Let's Play Deus Ex... Co-op.

Post by Rain »

Thought I'd leave this here. Who better to enjoy a Deus Ex Let's Play? Co-op.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd9DTWNn75A

My friend and I play through DX Cooperatively, or at least try to. It's riddled with hilarious bugs that can only be worked around with devious cheating! For instance, enemies don't attack. They waggle their guns pretty furiously, but that's about it.
Anyway, look for this to develop within the next few weeks.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Let's Play Deus Ex... Co-op.

Post by bobby 55 »

Hahahaha! I bet Anna never thought of gun-play as an option for distraction in the stealth training room.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

That looks pretty cool!

Can both players hear the Infolinks and read books? I know that was another bug I found playing DX Co-Op.
At the beginning of the Video, you said you were using New Vision, and got excited... But your not. I know for a fact that New Vision doesn't work with MP (Unless, someone found a work around.)

Also, where'd you get those cool weapon models. :mrgreen:

EDIT: And what are you using to record? I'm still looking for decent video recording software without forking out for Fraps, but that seems to be the best in the business at the moment so it looks like I'll have too.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

So has no progress been made on a workable co-op Deus Ex? I'd love to play that.
Rain
Thug

Post by Rain »

Yeah, I noticed I wasn't using New Vision after recording.
From now on though, we will be using it. S3TC textures did the trick.
Still can't get HDTP to work though, which really sucks.

Both players do hear the infolinks, but if you'll notice in the video, if it starts playing for two players at the same time, the audio becomes distorted. Not sure about the books, I'll have to try that.
Also, I'm uploading a tutorial today on how to set up your own DXCoop server.

I was (and still am) trying to assemble a team of players to work on bringing a proper DX Co-op mod to the public. I was thinking: maybe creating a new gametype would help? DXMP is the only gametype that allows internet-connected players, but it forbids nanokeys, makes the AI pacifist and respawns things that just shouldn't respawn. If somehow we could make the singleplayer gametype... well, multiplayer... that might be a nice step in the right diretion.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I'm assuming New Vision works because both you and your buddy have it installed? Because if you have it installed by simply overwriting the texture files in the texture folder, it causes Mis-Matches.

The only MP mod I've seen that allowed NPC's to actually shoot you was Cozmo RPG.
Also, I didn't think infolinks would work, or Conversations, or books/datacubes.
It's a big broken mess. If you think you can fix it and get it working, it would be incredible!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

The mismatch wouldn't happen if the person hosting the server has the S3TC textures. It's only a server/client mismatch - so because all DXMP servers are hosted using the original content, the client trying to connect with different content to that causes the problem.

The guy making a similar mod for Unreal has a tool from Epic that circumvents this and tricks the server into thinking the files are the same as the original - but, it only works for Unreal (we tried) and he doesn't have the source or the remit to give it to me, since Epic expressly forbid it (it would allow you to cheat, basically). It's a shame.

In regards to co-op, would it be possible to look at Unreal to see how it handles co-op enemies and stuff?
Rain
Thug

Post by Rain »

DaveW wrote:The mismatch wouldn't happen if the person hosting the server has the S3TC textures. It's only a server/client mismatch - so because all DXMP servers are hosted using the original content, the client trying to connect with different content to that causes the problem.

The guy making a similar mod for Unreal has a tool from Epic that circumvents this and tricks the server into thinking the files are the same as the original - but, it only works for Unreal (we tried) and he doesn't have the source or the remit to give it to me, since Epic expressly forbid it (it would allow you to cheat, basically). It's a shame.

In regards to co-op, would it be possible to look at Unreal to see how it handles co-op enemies and stuff?
That's not a bad idea. Unreal Tournament uses something called MonsterHunt, maybe that would prove useful as well.
dains
Thug

Post by dains »

YES LETS. I have wanted to play many games coop with a friend and always wondered why game devs never realized how popular that would be. I even tried a couple of alpha multiplayer mods for Oblivion and got one to hook, but it wasn't playable :(

So, great idea!
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

Oh wow, awesome. Nice vid.

I was wondering if you're using the DX Co-op mod though? And are you hosting dedicated server? awesome BTW.

If you're not hosting DX Co-op mod.. which I think not since I saw the tutorial video, well then check this guide: (show it to your friend please too.)

http://www.edhclan.com/DXMP_Coop_Guide.mht

(open it up on Internet explorer, else it won't work.. wait for a few seconds, it takes time to open..)

Soo yeah, this mod (the 'DX-Co-op' mod) allows all the players on the dedicated (or probably even non-dedicated) server to hear infolinks, and all can talk to NPCs once at a time/per person.. (which isn't possible on normal hosting, the NPC talk things by all people) but it fails when two people try to talk to the same NPC at the same time.. anyway, it's cool and all, I thought you might wanna check it out... I'm sure it has the keygun, but not sure.. It should though, else it doesn't feature much stuff... oh and NPCs still don't shoot/attack at you, at this too.. :oops:
Oh, and good fact: All of you can read books, datacubes, etc, at this DX-Coop mod!

EDIT: I read that you said that both players heard infolink, saw the video too.. woah, strange.

@nerdenstein Actually, it's pretty simple to get the NPCs to fire weapons. It's known as MPBots, you can find this package over DXAlpha. Cozmo_RPG also uses modified code from it AFAIK.

There's no need to see unreal tournament, as it came fully supported to multiplayer.. instead look at DX mods itself.. :p

I'll try explaining a bit.. the only problem is that the NPCs you normally summon, e.g 'summon terrorist', they are not replicated in multiplayer, or atleast their firing functions. So it's a bit 'uhg' issue. The only problem is to replace these NPCs from DeusEx.u to your custom NPCs, or from the mod MPBots, you could either do map edits.. or find a way around to replace them via coding, possibly by a mutator. Alot of complicated issues arrive when you think about Multiplayer.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

~DJ~ wrote:Oh wow, awesome. Nice vid.

I was wondering if you're using the DX Co-op mod though? And are you hosting dedicated server? awesome BTW.

If you're not hosting DX Co-op mod.. which I think not since I saw the tutorial video, well then check this guide: (show it to your friend please too.)

http://www.edhclan.com/DXMP_Coop_Guide.mht

(open it up on Internet explorer, else it won't work.. wait for a few seconds, it takes time to open..)

Soo yeah, this mod (the 'DX-Co-op' mod) allows all the players on the dedicated (or probably even non-dedicated) server to hear infolinks, and all can talk to NPCs once at a time/per person.. (which isn't possible on normal hosting, the NPC talk things by all people) but it fails when two people try to talk to the same NPC at the same time.. anyway, it's cool and all, I thought you might wanna check it out... I'm sure it has the keygun, but not sure.. It should though, else it doesn't feature much stuff... oh and NPCs still don't shoot/attack at you, at this too.. :oops:
Oh, and good fact: All of you can read books, datacubes, etc, at this DX-Coop mod!

EDIT: I read that you said that both players heard infolink, saw the video too.. woah, strange.

@nerdenstein Actually, it's pretty simple to get the NPCs to fire weapons. It's known as MPBots, you can find this package over DXAlpha. Cozmo_RPG also uses modified code from it AFAIK.

There's no need to see unreal tournament, as it came fully supported to multiplayer.. instead look at DX mods itself.. :p

I'll try explaining a bit.. the only problem is that the NPCs you normally summon, e.g 'summon terrorist', they are not replicated in multiplayer, or atleast their firing functions. So it's a bit 'uhg' issue. The only problem is to replace these NPCs from DeusEx.u to your custom NPCs, or from the mod MPBots, you could either do map edits.. or find a way around to replace them via coding, possibly by a mutator. Alot of complicated issues arrive when you think about Multiplayer.
That link didn't work, and I'm using IE9. :/
But from what I can gather, that link includes a mod plus installtion instruction on how to get DX Co-Op working fully apart from getting NPC's to fire weapons. I'll have a search for the MPBots package and I'm assuming they are just the basic NPCs from Deus Ex with coding that allows them to use weapons in Multiplayer? Which means to get the original maps to work, you'd have to replace the originals with the MPBots counterparts?
Correct me if I'm wrong. :mrgreen:
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

If someone wanted to make a fully working co-op mod and it required changing the maps, I don't think that would be a particularly awkward thing to do - the maps aren't more than a few hundred mb.
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

nerdenstein wrote:That link didn't work, and I'm using IE9. :/
But from what I can gather, that link includes a mod plus installtion instruction on how to get DX Co-Op working fully apart from getting NPC's to fire weapons. I'll have a search for the MPBots package and I'm assuming they are just the basic NPCs from Deus Ex with coding that allows them to use weapons in Multiplayer? Which means to get the original maps to work, you'd have to replace the originals with the MPBots counterparts?
Correct me if I'm wrong. :mrgreen:
Yeah, they're just basic NPCs, a package extending the normal DX NPCs, and have the coding parts to make them shoot on Multiplayer. Yes, you could do that that, replace every single one of them, but that's gonna be a big job and kinda useless. So rather I'd recommend to code yourself a mutator that replaces all the NPCs by your custom MP-working NPCs itself when it finds them.

Oh, forgot to mention, MPBots is basically a package used to make the bots fire.. yeah.. and only fire. The creators dint create any alliances, any bot you summon/add on editor, they'll just SHOOT you, and SHOOT YOU AND SHOOT YOU. Cozmo had a go around with alliances. I remember testing that stuff with him... well on a side note TREM is also creating NPCs fully working with alliances and all stuff, but yeah.. this leads us to the fact that MPBots package isn't suitable for multiplayer..

Dejavu.. I remember ZeroPresence going around asking for MPBots, and he was doing some stuff with DXCoop.

EDIT: About map-changing, I never looked much on it. I'll see what's wrong..
[FGS]Shadowrunner
Thug

Post by [FGS]Shadowrunner »

Looking great, something else to shout about soon!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

lol@ Agent Orange vending machine, like Malakavian. SpiderManderly falling. Free your mind, Denton. You guys are goofs. Sounds like me in highschool. How much fun was it, hanging out in Deus Life?

DaveW really wants the maps redone, and he's right to.