Questions about UnrealEd

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Onemaster
NSF

Questions about UnrealEd

Post by Onemaster »

Hi. The beginner with UnrealEd again has some things he would like to know, could some of you help out?

1. I know how to make an actor invisible in a map. But how do I make it become visible when in this case a karkian gets killed? Do I have to use triggers?

2.And what do I have to do to get some goal completed OR get an infolink message when I kill/destroy something OR read a newspaper/datacube/book?

3. How can I make walls than can be opened (Like the one in TNM in Downtown district, near the Goat city portal)?

4. Can I have a conversations with carcasses? I tried that today, made a lot of investigation with UnrealEd. I made the carcass "movable" false (so I can't pick it up) and gave it the bindname and the other convo names. But it always just says "you don't find anything" like it always says when I'm looking for items from corpses. So I don't get the conversation.

5. How do I give augs to npcs? I know that I must go to the npc's properties->inventory and put the AugmentationCannister in there. But how do I add the 2 augs to the cannister when giving to an npc?
And how can I get the npc to give the aug to me in a conversation? ConEdit->transfer object/trade? But how do I add the 2 augs, say if I would like the aug to have AugTarget and AugSpeed in it

6. If I make a goal for example "Go get the plasma rifle for Bum", how can I make the convo that when I do have a plasma rifle in my inventory I can talk to the guy and he'll take the plasma rifle? Do u get what I mean?

7. I may ask more in the future :D

Thanks!
I wish there was something more I could say.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Questions about UnrealEd

Post by Jonas »

Onemaster wrote:1. I know how to make an actor invisible in a map. But how do I make it become visible when in this case a karkian gets killed? Do I have to use triggers?
No, you use the mission script. Look around for a tutorial on that, I think Tack has one.
2.And what do I have to do to get some goal completed OR get an infolink message when I kill/destroy something OR read a newspaper/datacube/book?
For triggering stuff when the player kills someone, use the mission script. For triggering it when the player destroys something, I... don't remember. There may be a DestroyEvent or something similar, which you can bind an infolink trigger or a datalink trigger to - look through its properties to see if something looks right. For triggering when the player reads something, just put the trigger's tag in the object's event field.
3. How can I make walls than can be opened (Like the one in TNM in Downtown district, near the Goat city portal)?
You make a deusexmover, just like you would make an ordinary door.
4. Can I have a conversations with carcasses? I tried that today, made a lot of investigation with UnrealEd. I made the carcass "movable" false (so I can't pick it up) and gave it the bindname and the other convo names. But it always just says "you don't find anything" like it always says when I'm looking for items from corpses. So I don't get the conversation.
Don't remember if there's a more elegant solution, but you can always place a regular decoration object (like a cactus, those are good for stuff like this) and then change all its display and collision settings so it appears to be a corpse, that should work.
5. How do I give augs to npcs? I know that I must go to the npc's properties->inventory and put the AugmentationCannister in there. But how do I add the 2 augs to the cannister when giving to an npc?
And how can I get the npc to give the aug to me in a conversation? ConEdit->transfer object/trade? But how do I add the 2 augs, say if I would like the aug to have AugTarget and AugSpeed in it
There are specific instances of the TNM augmentation cannister that have each of the augmentation sets from the original game pre-specified, you can use those.
6. If I make a goal for example "Go get the plasma rifle for Bum", how can I make the convo that when I do have a plasma rifle in my inventory I can talk to the guy and he'll take the plasma rifle? Do u get what I mean?
Use ConEdit's Check Object event and just specify the class name of the plasma rifle.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Onemaster
NSF

Re: Questions about UnrealEd

Post by Onemaster »

Thanks a lot Jonas, that's a great help!
I wish there was something more I could say.