Mods, Have I got them working/will they work right?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

zedas
Mole Person

Mods, Have I got them working/will they work right?

Post by zedas »

Hi there, first time poster to the forums. I've been following the mod makers work here for many years, very nice stuff, kudos to you guys. This isn't really your department, but I thought it might be a good place to ask.

I'm getting ready for a playthrough (first time since 2001) of Deus Ex. I've installed a number of mods and I was hoping one of the good folks on these forums may be able to confirm I've done it correctly and possibly be able to reassure me that I won't run into problems later on.

Pertinent info I guess is that I'm running WinXP, so DirectX 9, video card is a 1gig ATI 5770, big ol' crt monitor with resolution at 1600x1200. Ooh also this is not the Steam version, It's my disc that I bought many years ago. Also, the last official patch is applied.

The mods I've installed and the order are as such

- Deus EX Enhanced version 1.3 (fixes UI stuff)
- Kentie's Launcher (and the game is set to use OpenGL)
- Shifter version 1.8.4
- New Vision version 1.0 (plus the hotfix)
- HDTP release 1
- Deus Ex Revision demo version 1.3

Now they seem to all be working.
- The UI looks right on the screen and scopes and binoculars look right, so Deus Ex Enhanced is good.
- Launches fine from Kentie's launcher
- I shot a guy in the head and got points for it, so that'd be Shifter working
- Awesome new textures are awesome, so New Vision is working
- I can tell right away from crowbar and crates that the HDTP models are working
- The hut on the docks (plus the intro) would seem to indicate that Deus Ex Revision is working

Now all the mods had a lot of install instructions, but I didn't quite pay attention to all of it. I put files in the directories where I think they're supposed to go and I edited the .ini file that is created by either Deus Ex Enhanced or Kentie's launcher (I can't quite remember). This .ini is located in My documents/Deus Ex/System.

This is the edited part that I think is making the mods play together

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=..\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
Paths=..\Revision\System\*.u
Paths=..\Revision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Revision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Revision\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx

So, like I said, it seems like they're working but I'm afraid there's something I may be missing (some .ini business or somesuch). Like for example if I took a new path on a revision map maybe points won't get awarded because it's not in the ini or something? If anyone has any thoughts on whether this will all work proper, I'd be happy to hear them. I guess I could just play the game, but I'd like the experience to be as good as it can be and not be distracted by any issues part way through. :)

Thanks for reading
zedas
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: Mods, Have I got them working/will they work right?

Post by nerdenstein »

Looks alright to me.
Here's my current DX .ini file with Shifter, HDTP and New Vision:

Paths=..\Shifter\System\*.u
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\NewVision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\NewVision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx

I installed Shifter a little differently too you but that's okay. I think you actually need to do the overwriting method of installing Shifter for the Enhanced UI mod to work. :smile:

Someone else should confirm this but other than that, seems to be good. :P
Have fun!
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.