Can I play DE without the disk?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

sleepy47
Thug

Can I play DE without the disk?

Post by sleepy47 »

I have DE installed on my hard drive but ran over the disk itself with my chair (DOH!) and have heard there's a way to play without it. I tried an ini change under the CD path, but it's still asking for the disk. I can however play The Nameless Mod with no problems, (freaking games as good, if not better than the original gameplay wise).

Still though, even though I've played DE 7 or 8 times, I'd like to go through it once more before I get Human Revolution which I can't afford right now.

Thanks.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: Can I play DE without the disk?

Post by justanotherfan »

Some might not reply since this information PROMOTES PIRACEY YOU PIRATE!!

It doesn't actually. I'm sure pirate versions conveniently include this trick.

Under the Ini, change the CD path from the CD drive (maybe E:\) to be C:\DeusEx\ . My DX CD is so scratched up, it's mostly useless, so I do this trick every time. If it doesn't work, double check that the paths are correct.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

What version of the game are you using?
I've got a Sold Out copy and if I remove the CDPath= line from my .ini, it still asks for a CD.

I found a way around this though; Install the latest patch (http://www.moddb.com/games/deus-ex/down ... to-v1112fm) and it'll work. I did it even though my version is fully patch (GOTY) anyway. :smile:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
sleepy47
Thug

Post by sleepy47 »

Thx for the info.

The game isn't pirated. I've had it since a couple of years after the game came out, but as I said, ran over the disk with my chair and cracked it. (and no, that's not a pun)

Anyway, I DL'd the patch you suggested and deleted the whole CD path line from the ini, however it still says it needs the disk. I then tried changing the path as justanotherfan said and it still didn't work.

I'm pretty dense when it comes to this stuff and am probably doing something wrong.

Any help appreciated.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

sleepy47 wrote:The game isn't pirated. I've had it since a couple of years after the game came out
... I then tried changing the path as justanotherfan said and it still didn't work.
OTP are game developers, so we're careful to represent gamers well. I'm less careful, since the CD lock is pointless, and owning a copy should make backup copies legal (as original discs don't last forever). Mine's all scratched up partly because of the stupid CD lock (it got a lot of use).

Since DX is installed in the root directory, usually this works
CdPath=C:\DeusEx\

but I've just been told this also works (..\ means "parent directory" in CLI speak)-
CdPath=..\

There could be some conflict with TNM. They had to do some magic INI shuffling, so the name of the INI that the TNM executable uses may be different.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

If you use Kentie's Deus Exe you need to check the My Documents/Deus Ex folder for the ini file.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
sleepy47
Thug

Post by sleepy47 »

Thanks all. I tried both ways and still no luck. I'm right in the middle of TNM too, so if that's the problem I'll wait until I I'm finished with that and do a fresh install.

I do find the CD path in DE/System/default user config. Right?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

sleepy47 wrote:Thanks all. I tried both ways and still no luck. I'm right in the middle of TNM too, so if that's the problem I'll wait until I I'm finished with that and do a fresh install.

I do find the CD path in DE/System/default user config. Right?
It's in theDeusExini look for the heading Engine.Engine. If you save a copy of your system file you could then try deleting that whole line.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

C:\DeusEx\System\DeusEx.ini

Find this..
[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=GlideDrv.GlideRenderDevice
AudioDevice=Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem
NetworkDevice=IpDrv.TcpNetDriver
DemoRecordingDevice=Engine.DemoRecDriver
Console=Engine.Console
Language=int
GameEngine=DeusEx.DeusExGameEngine
EditorEngine=Editor.EditorEngine
WindowedRenderDevice=SoftDrv.SoftwareRenderDevice
RenderDevice=GlideDrv.GlideRenderDevice
DefaultGame=DeusEx.DeusExGameInfo
DefaultServerGame=DeusEx.DeathMatchGame
ViewportManager=WinDrv.WindowsClient
Render=Render.Render
Input=Extension.InputExt
Canvas=Engine.Canvas
Root=DeusEx.DeusExRootWindow
CdPath=E:\CD Drive (F_)
At the end, you see CDPath=<stuff here>

Do it this..
CdPath=
Leave it like that and save it.
sleepy47
Thug

Post by sleepy47 »

Thx for all the tips guys, but I've tried all of them and still can't get the damn thing going. I'll wait until I'm done with TNM and hope I can play it then. TBH, I'm having a ball with TNM and find that other than the story, (and even that's getting pretty freaking good), it's as good as DE and in some ways even better.

On a totally unrelated note. I'd love to pick up DE HR, however not sure if my aging comp will even run it with:

Dual core Athlon 2.3 gig
3 gigs of ram
And this is what has been bothering me the most. 9400GT 1 gig.

Any thoughts? and thanks all.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Your processor won't be a problem, mine is a 2.41 quad core. Your RAM is on the low side, but it might be okay. Your graphics card... is probably going to be a problem? I'm not sure though, mine isn't exactly new, it's a 2 years old GeForce GTX260, and I ran it pretty much flawlessly (had to tweak a few settings to get rid of sluggish mouse movement, but that's it). Maybe borrow it from a friend or pirate it to see how it runs, then buy it if your computer can handle it (but do remember to buy it in that case ;)).
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I've got a GT230 which I believe is a 9600 hybrid. I've got no problems running the game so maybe your 9400 might squeek by. It does meet the minimum requirements according to the blurb.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

3 GB is more than enough in any case. 9400GT though... Not so sure about that.
sleepy47
Thug

Post by sleepy47 »

Thanks for the input.

Well I just had to get the game and hope it would play, and amazingly enough, it did, so I'm a happy camper. I've had to run it at 800X600 with pretty much all options low, but it's running smoothly enough. Load times are a bit long, (maybe 15 or 20 seconds) but I can live with that. Also not getting any lag which it seems many people have complained about. Of course I have just started, so maybe the larger hubs will give me some problems.

As to the game itself, my early impressions are mixed. I've found I like the 3rd person stealth bits which I thought I would dislike, but hate the takedowns. I've only used a non-lethal take down once, but find that rather than add immersion, it takes away from it. I also don't like the idea there's no lockpicks or multitools in the game. Apparently no skill tree either?

On the plus side, even though the graphics are sub standard on my comp, I like the look of the game, and I especially like all the emails and ebooks you seem to be able to pick up. No augs yet so can't comment on them.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I think we all had it straight way, so maybe you'll be lucky. If you are unfortunate to get the mouse lag, post about it, coz we've got a couple of solutions to offer. :)