The Human revolution thread, now with 233213% more spoilers

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

The Human revolution thread, now with 233213% more spoilers

Post by Jaedar »

So yeah, spoilers. This is your final warning. Before that tho, what was your favorite mission in the game?

Here follows(some of) my thoughts of the game that I didn't already post during the leak.

I think it gets worse as you go on. Especially the map design, by the end all the maps felt like corridors. The game also has a problem with character progression(I had bought all the augs I really wanted by the time I got started with the second hub, the rest of the game was just a question of what is least useless for my playstyle?).

Did I miss the first few places to get a plasma rifle? The first one I found was at the third bossight, but at that point the only enemies left in the game are the unarmed dudes at Panchea, hardly worthy targets for such a weapon. Feels like there was a huge gap in hub 2 where no new weapons got introduced(except for the heavy machine gun). As a non-lethal guy though I used the same two weapons the entire game, that always one-shot everyone :/.

Boss fights are annoying, but once you know they are coming I found them to be quite manageable by just stocking up on a few emp grenades and riddling them with 30 bullets in the head with my 10mm. The last boss is a joke. A JOKE I TELL YOU

The Speech minigame is pretty good, and its probably the highpoint of the game for me(At least on a conceptual level, not necessarily the most fun) as it is actually something I haven't seen done before and it is a way better implementation that just having a Speech skill check or a dice roll that most games do. It should have required a greater point investment though.

I hate hengsha. Why is that map so needlessly contrived and then divided with several loading screens? Not to mention that pretty much every sidequest requires you to go back and forth between at least two areas. Its such a chore to navigate.

My favorite mission in the game is still the police station.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: The Human revolution thread, now with 233213% more spoil

Post by bobby 55 »

Why is that map so needlessly contrived and then divided with several loading screens? Not to mention that pretty much every sidequest requires you to go back and forth between at least two areas. Its such a chore to navigate.
Yeah, that was a bit of a pisser.

I never found the crossbow or rocket launcher, even though I found the ammo for both. I think my favourite sidequest was Shanghai Justice, mostly because of the ending.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote: I never found the crossbow or rocket launcher, even though I found the ammo for both.
There's a crossbow in the first hub if you do the rogue cop quest(talk to the hookers outside adams apartment). I think I found other ones, but they some of the rarest weapons in the game. Rocket launcher can be bought at some of the shops iirc, there's also one in DRB territory(in the building just opposite the antenna) and in the FEMA base(same room as the robot, just go left out of the elevator).
odio ergo sum
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Jaedar wrote:I think it gets worse as you go on. Especially the map design, by the end all the maps felt like corridors....
...The game also has a problem with character progression
...divided with several loading screens? Not to mention that pretty much every sidequest requires you to go back and forth between at least two areas
The game was rushed for financial reasons. To be fair, it was delayed to tweak things at least once, but the maps comment matches the history.

There's a few games where I'll be very selective and strategic with choices like augs. Not far in, I have everything I want, and I end up installing the spy-bot aug equivalent. "Ooh, it stops cigarettes from decreasing health? Jensen could use that..."

Too bad HR has ye olde loading screens. Keeping true to the original there.

The speech minigame sounds interesting. Most of the spoilers sound like random "Shanghai Justice Panchea Hengsha" gibberish, so I'm not hearing "Jensen is actually undead!" things :)
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

justanotherfan wrote:
The speech minigame sounds interesting. Most of the spoilers sound like random "Shanghai Justice Panchea Hengsha" gibberish, so I'm not hearing "Jensen is actually undead!" things :)
I guess you don't have the required knowledge of the game to know how these things spoil the game :)
odio ergo sum
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Funny, I taped LotR Two Towers something, and tried to watch it. I know nothing of LotR, other than there's an important ring, gollumn was corrupted by it, a hobbit has it, and Gandalf is a wizard. Oh, and Sauron is probably bad. I didn't understand any of it, so I got rid of it.

Glad to hear some stuff is DX-level quality.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I haven't played it yet, and won't for some time, but I was wondering - there was some talk of a certain version of the game getting an extra thowback to Deus Ex. Does anyone know what this is?

Actually, a general question - are there any characters from the original Deus Ex game that appear or is it just mild references? I really liked IW's story once it started merging with Deus Ex's a bit more, it felt like a sequel rather than a "spiritual successor" kind of game.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

DaveW wrote:I haven't played it yet, and won't for some time, but I was wondering - there was some talk of a certain version of the game getting an extra thowback to Deus Ex. Does anyone know what this is?

Actually, a general question - are there any characters from the original Deus Ex game that appear or is it just mild references? I really liked IW's story once it started merging with Deus Ex's a bit more, it felt like a sequel rather than a "spiritual successor" kind of game.
There is one, a younger version of Bob Page, in the opening cinematic and the ending after the credits. Generally you find casual references scattered about. My favourite is to be found in a certain apartment.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Augmented Edition establishes who Tracer Tong is and his relationship to the other Tong. (which I was confused with.. why was this made DLC.. I felt it was very important to the story to establish this fact).
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Ah right, I think I'm getting the Augmented Edition so I'm glad I'll get that reference. I wish they'd done it a bit more, I love that kind of stuff.
SyntaxError
Thug

Post by SyntaxError »

I'm still a bit reluctant to get the game, mostly because of this:

In-game ads

There was a lengthy discussion about it on the official boards, but no new info since release.
Are the ads in? Have they decided not to do it in the last minute?

Thing is, i decided not to support something like this, as I (among other things) don't like the idea of ads invading yet another aspect of my life. So, if they are in, I'll probably wait until it's on sale at some point.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I haven't seen any in-game ads.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I suspect the in-game ads haven't been activated yet, all the ads in the game at this point are fictional. Better play the game now, in case they start making use of the dynamic in-game advertising system soon ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
SyntaxError
Thug

Post by SyntaxError »

Hm, yeah, could do that, then again, it somehow misses the point, doesn't it?

I'm doing it in the hope that enough people are feeling the same way, it shows in the sales and we will get spared such stuff in the future.
Too bad that it has to be DX3, off all games (and it even seems to be good).

Edit: However, I might accept ads if I feel they are justified, and about the only justification i would accept is a lower price. Incidentally I can get the game for 40€ in retail, which is 5-10 € cheaper than the average new game.

Arghh, moral challenges...
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

------THERE MAY BE SPOILERS APLENTY BELOW-----

It feels as if they replaced the hardcore political revolutionaries with a bunch of greenpeace activists. And where are my GK Chesterton quotes? Or my political and philosophical debates. Everything in the game amounts to you pressing one of 4 buttons. And Panchea? On fucking Antarctica? Sounds like a cliche. The bossfights were simple enought, with the third involving me sitting behind cover the game conveniently places you next to after ANOTHER CUTSCENE. Just a few Stun gun, explosive revolver shots and a couple of combate rifle clips and it's done.

Jaedar already spoke about walking back and forth in heng Sha, add to that there are only a few proper interactable items, vents, crates, bins and freezers/fridges and vending machines being the only ones I can think of.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog