DX:HR Cloak and Daggers Bug

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Undisputed
UNATCO

DX:HR Cloak and Daggers Bug

Post by Undisputed »

This seems to be infamous after checking online and finding alot of people have had this occur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqeS13_YMck

Has anyone ran into this problem? I also sold the sniper rifle unfortunately, but does anyone know if the range of a Tranq. Rifle is equal to the sniper rifle? Since that is my only option at this point.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: DX:HR Cloak and Daggers Bug

Post by Jonas »

The sniper rifle is shit, it takes up way too much inventory space for how rarely you encounter spaces big enough to make it useful, and it can't be silenced. The crossbow or the tranq rifle are much more useful.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:The sniper rifle is shit, it takes up way too much inventory space for how rarely you encounter spaces big enough to make it useful, and it can't be silenced. The crossbow or the tranq rifle are much more useful.
This pretty much.

I think you could use a regular pistol assuming your pixel hunting skills are good enough. Tranq rifle would be hard since it drops off after a while. Rocket launcher is probably your best bet: there's one in DRB territory
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Jaedar wrote:
Jonas wrote:The sniper rifle is shit, it takes up way too much inventory space for how rarely you encounter spaces big enough to make it useful, and it can't be silenced. The crossbow or the tranq rifle are much more useful.
This pretty much.

I think you could use a regular pistol assuming your pixel hunting skills are good enough. Tranq rifle would be hard since it drops off after a while. Rocket launcher is probably your best bet: there's one in DRB territory
No, after a certain range the pistol just stops affecting enemies, you can see the bullet go to the targer, but nothing happens.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
This pretty much.

No, after a certain range the pistol just stops affecting enemies, you can see the bullet go to the targer, but nothing happens.
That's dumb.
odio ergo sum
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Jaedar wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
This pretty much.

That's dumb.
Another thing that's dumb, IIRC some railings and signs with holes in them, you cant shoot through them.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

Jaedar wrote:
This pretty much.

I might of sold that too, since it took too much space up. But I may be able to roll back my saves far enough to get it back.

Thanks for the replies though
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Jaedar wrote:
This pretty much.

Really? Haven't seen one and I cleared out every man and mouse there. At the weapon cache or somewhere else?
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Dragon wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
This pretty much.

Really? Haven't seen one and I cleared out every man and mouse there. At the weapon cache or somewhere else?
The rocket launcher is located in the building most easily pointed out by standing at the comm array that you have to disable and look straight the other way: into the ally: it is the building on your right. If you have jumping aug you can go onto the containers and in the windows, otherwise you have to use a vent located quite a bit away.
odio ergo sum
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

Jaedar wrote:
Dragon wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
This pretty much.

If you have jumping aug you can go onto the containers and in the windows, otherwise you have to use a vent located quite a bit away.
You don't need the jumping aug, you can just jump on top of the tires next to the container proceeding to the fire escape.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
This pretty much.

That's dumb.
Another thing that's dumb, IIRC some railings and signs with holes in them, you cant shoot through them.
Pretty common in games - assuming the railings are 3d detail it's probably using the collision hull rather than the mesh to figure out where bullets collide with it. There's no particularly better way to do it really.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

DaveW wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
This pretty much.

That's dumb.
Pretty common in games - assuming the railings are 3d detail it's probably using the collision hull rather than the mesh to figure out where bullets collide with it. There's no particularly better way to do it really.
There is. Using analytic physics geometry. Works with most objects, is fast (faster than tri-mesh or collision-hull) and you hardly notice the hack.
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Dragon wrote:
DaveW wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
This pretty much.

That's dumb.
There is. Using analytic physics geometry. Works with most objects, is fast (faster than tri-mesh or collision-hull) and you hardly notice the hack.
I haven't really seen it in many other games, especially those that have a fair bit of shooting. It wasn't even in DX1 unless it was metal fences.
Most recent games don't do that, or are there any that do, examples?
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

shadowblade34 wrote:
Dragon wrote:
DaveW wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
This pretty much.

That's dumb.
I haven't really seen it in many other games, especially those that have a fair bit of shooting. It wasn't even in DX1 unless it was metal fences.
Most recent games don't do that, or are there any that do, examples?
UT3 (hence UE3/UDK)... and I do it in my game engine too.

EDIT: Not sure right now if UE3/UDK does it also for geometry not only dynamic meshes. But it has been also used way back in games like for example Trespasser, and there I'm sure of as I modded that one.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

I shouldn't have quoted, I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to the bullets/objects not going through railings and large holes in objects, not the geametry, meshes or collision hulls.