Random freezes - nv4_disp infinite loop

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Misterer
Mole Person

Random freezes - nv4_disp infinite loop

Post by Misterer »

I started playing vanilla Deus Ex not so long ago and it's certainly a fantastic game. What bugs me though is that it randomly freezes for a short time and either resumes or hangs my system completely. The error is the well known nv4_disp "infinite loop".

I'm playing on a fresh and up to date Win XP Pro SP3 system. It's either a game bug, or a driver bug.

I see there's someone on Steam forums with the same problem as well. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions to it? Changing to a modern renderer perhaps?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Random freezes - nv4_disp infinite loop

Post by bobby 55 »

I can't recall seeing any related posts to that error here. So after Googling: http://www.personalcomputerfixes.com/ge ... dll-error/
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Random freezes - nv4_disp infinite loop

Post by DDL »

Just a heads up: I had that and it turned out to be a rapidly-in-the-process-of-frying graphics card. Like, popped capacitors across the board.

It killed my entire system (and could've set back HDTP several months*).

Not that I'm saying this is necessarily the cause, but seriously, heed mah warnings!

*turns out the HD was still readable, so yay. And yeah I make back ups. Lots of them. But admittedly...more frequently NOW. :-/