Human Revolution save issue

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Morpheus
X-51

Human Revolution save issue

Post by Morpheus »

I was wondering if anyone knew this. I am a memeber of another forum and this was posted:
OK, I just bought DEHR retail. I installed it, updated, and everything was fine (though I have to run it at lower graphics settings) until I tried to save. The game gives me an error message about there not being enough space on my hard drive to save (it has 160 GB free) and refuses to even let me try. Anyone else having that issue?
Anyone know what could casue this? I don't yet have the game so can't help, but thought someone here could.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
AEmer
Illuminati

Re: Human Revolution save issue

Post by AEmer »

make sure the person has adequate space available on _all_ his harddrives.

HR probably saves games to his windows drive, since that's where his user ID resides. At least the same amount should be kept free as the amount of ram he has, so if he has 8gb, he should keep 8gb free on all drives, to avoid all issues related to lack of disk space.

Also, try running HR with administrator priveleges. It shouldn't make a squat of a difference, but all the same.
paladin181
Thug

Post by paladin181 »

AEmer wrote:make sure the person has adequate space available on _all_ his harddrives.

HR probably saves games to his windows drive, since that's where his user ID resides. At least the same amount should be kept free as the amount of ram he has, so if he has 8gb, he should keep 8gb free on all drives, to avoid all issues related to lack of disk space.

Also, try running HR with administrator priveleges. It shouldn't make a squat of a difference, but all the same.
Actually, it should shoot a different message back if it's trying to create saves somewhere Admin rights are needed, but who knows. Can't hurt.

Saves are kept in the "Program files" folder, so admin rights may help. I hate Steam....

Don't know about Retail installs.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Retail versions install through Steam too; or at least, mine did. I don't mine so much though. At least I am getting automatic updates.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Well he said it can quicksave but not save normally.
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

that's really strange.

Somehow there's some type of permission which the game doesn't have. If he's already tried what I've suggested, the only way to reset such a permission that I know of is through the various administration tools of windows.

He'll need someone from a hardcore system administrator forum to help. My guess is, there's a permission that has a nonstandard value for even the admin account of his windows machine.

How to set permissions for the admin account, what permission it is, or even what value it should have is beyond what I know of windows.

The only way to be sure you've fixed it is to backup all your stuff, wipe the partition table of the windows and games drives in use using parted magic or a similar tool and reinstall windows (legit. He needs a punch in the throat if he doesn't run legit windows and he's having trouble and bitching about it online. I don't care about software piracy, but I care about people wasting other peoples time because of it)

He also needs to pull all his drivers off the internet. Not a single driver should come from a driver cd or other device.

But this is the nuclear option, and it's not even guaranteed to work. He should really ask at something like microsofts official support forums.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Morpheus wrote:Well he said it can quicksave but not save normally.
There doesn't seem to be anything on the Steam forums about not saving, plenty about corrupted saves, especially after the patches were installed. So he can quicksave, but if he tries to save normally he gets told he hasn't enough space on the hard drive? That doesn't make any sense.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

has he done what we suggested?
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

He tried running it as admin:
I have. It did nothing. Funny thing is, the TITLE of the in-game window says "Insufficient Memory", but the actual message is as stated above.
Told him about what you said, so have to wait until I get a reply.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Another reply:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, genuine. And the only driver on my computer that is off a CD is the driver for my gamepad, which is unavailable except through the CD. Before anybody asks, I had this issue before installing the gamepad driver. Where would I go to edit detailed permissions for the game? The registry? Also, I am NOT doing the nuclear option. I just finished reinstalling my system and all my games about 3 weeks ago. I'm not doing it again.
With drivers I think he means the only driver he has besides drivers that don't belong to his PC hardware such as motherboard/graphics/audio etc...
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Does he maybe have multiple partitions (disks) of which one is almost full? It's a very strange error, and I would normally suggest to talk to Eidos customer support.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

The registry isn't the place for adjusting permissions

He may not have ownership of all his partitions. The fact that he nuked his system may be a clue as to how to fix this.

These days, it's no longer as simple as repartitioning just your system drive if you have multiple drives; and if he reinstalled without wiping the partition table, then that drive may have messed up permissions as well.

Right click the drives in question, each one at a time, click the security tab, click advanced, click owner, the choose your username and transfer the ownership.

I'm not promising anything, and it could potentially mess something up (but it shouldn't), so it's his own responsibility...but it may effect things.

Also, in the same place, he can make sure that his admin account has full read-write rights to all drives, which should then help when he runs the game as administrator.

Since his install is as relatively clean as it is, the problem was probably caused by the reinstall, because it doesn't seem like he's done anything post-install to result in a problem.

If he wants to mess around with permissions some more, go to control panel, system and security, and then administration. Local securitypolicy and computer administration are good bets for tools that would potentially help him solve the problem...but like I said, he needs to ask in another forum where people know how to use them reside.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Morpheus wrote:Another reply:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, genuine. And the only driver on my computer that is off a CD is the driver for my gamepad, which is unavailable except through the CD. Before anybody asks, I had this issue before installing the gamepad driver. Where would I go to edit detailed permissions for the game? The registry? Also, I am NOT doing the nuclear option. I just finished reinstalling my system and all my games about 3 weeks ago. I'm not doing it again.
With drivers I think he means the only driver he has besides drivers that don't belong to his PC hardware such as motherboard/graphics/audio etc...
With Windows 7 you can turn the UAC off. Though it's usually only necessary for older games, there has been one of the modern games, which I can't recall the title of, where I found it necessary.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
paladin181
Thug

Post by paladin181 »

UAC is generally garbage anyways. It pops up so often for typical users that it becomes a nuisance and people click ok without reading the messages anyway, thus negating its use altogether. While I never suggest turning it off, most people do (I know I did, but I'm a MCSA with ISA certs, so I have an idea what I'm doing most of the time).

Is the problem about "insufficient memory" or "insufficient hard disk space?" Can we see the exact error message? Does it pop up in game or in a windows message?
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

UAC is fine. It's overlaying purpose was insuring that end users get a bad user experience with peoples programs unless they are written right, thus forcing application evolution...but by now, it actually alerts you to poor or dangerous programs when they occasionally come around, which is a good thing.

Anyway, the issue here isn't UAC related, but it's still some type of permission, if, as EER and I have both stressed, _all_ drives on his computer have sufficient disk space (4-16gb free, depending on system configuration).