DX Loader 2.03

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

Re: DX Loader

Post by Andrievskaya Veronika »

Very interesting project! But unfortunately, this program does not works for me. I only see this:

Maybe this is my problem, but i cannot do this:
1) The path of Deus Ex will be found by reading the "Folder" value in the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\Deus Ex" registry path. If this program
does not work properly add this value to your registry.
I have more than 5 copies of DX, each for different purpose (creating mod, translating it, testing it for missing files, for DXMP...)
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Actually that's reflective of one of the big problems I've been trying to think of how to solve in a good way (and mentioned previously in this thread). The idea was to be simple and just include the exec and the ini file, which is all that is really needed. The problem here is that while XP (what I have) doesn't have artificial constraints, Vista and farther does on what you can do and not do. Ultimately, from what I understand if you put the two files in "\Program Files" (and I'm not sure what other directories), the OS doesn't allow read-write access. Hence the first check doesn't work because the OS fails the read of the dxloader.ini. The official way to solve it is to comply with the artificial constraints and put the EXE where ever and the INI has to go in "\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\DXLoader", but that gets complex enough that it ceases to be simple enough and as a result requires an installer (along with a good amount of development time on a Vista/7 machine to make sure the EXE works right this way). Of course the benefit of the INI was to make sure it could support some things without having to re-release the EXE every time there's a new mod or renderer (supporting Delta ]2[ required no literal coding changes, just INI entries). I'd have to split up the INI into volatile and non-volatile data as well, to satisfy the requirements, but that's another story. All I can say is to try to put both files in a directory that allows read-write access without question, maybe set up a shortcut to the DXLOADER.EXE and hopefully it will go on and work.

For those that are curious, the other "big problem" is a real "dynamic frequency scaling fix" that works independent of the DX code. Which again I can't verify to work without significant development time on hardware and OS which supports it.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

For the mod support section, this will catch the defaults for DX: Nihilium if people need help on it.

Code: Select all

[FGRHK.EXE]
IniFileName=fgrhk\System\fgrhk.ini
UserIniName=fgrhk\System\fgrhkUser.ini
LogFileName=fgrhk\System\fgrhk.log
SaveGamePath=fgrhk\Save
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

For the mod support section, this will catch (reasonable) defaults for Terminus Machina if people need help with it.

[SSTM.EXE]
IniFileName=Terminus\System\Terminus.ini
UserIniName=Terminus\System\TerminusUser.ini
LogFileName=Terminus\System\Terminus.log
SaveGamePath=Terminus\Save
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

A couple of tips to help for changes to dxloader.ini if you have interest in running GMDX or Kentie's new DX 11 renderer through this loader. As I've indicated repeatedly, you can support a variety of new things by simply adding the proper lines.

The DX Renderer
To support that after you copy the files to DeusEx\System, you need to add a number of lines, but are pretty straight forward. Line changes along with sections they are in (I just copied the DX10 settings and renamed a few things for the DX11 section):

[RenderFiles]
D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice=d3d11drv.dll

[Detects]
D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice=DirectX 11

[D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice]
Coronas=True
DetailTextures=True
ShinySurfaces=True
HighDetailActors=True
VolumetricLighting=True
Precache=False
Antialiasing=8
Anisotropy=8
VSync=True
ParallaxOcclusionMapping=False
LODBias=0
BumpMapping=True
ClassicLighting=True
AlphaToCoverage=False
AutoFOV=False
FPSLimit=60
simulateMultipassTexturing=False
unlimitedViewDistance=False
DescFlags=0
Description=D3D11
GMDX
This one is a little more complicated, since the instructions given in the package are for a destructive install of this mod. However, you can set it up to run like any other mod in a non-destructive install. First you copy the GMDX files into its own folder under \DeusEx, and then move *.U to a System folder. Then go to \DeusEx\System and copy DEUSEX.EXE to GMDX.EXE. Then copy deusex.ini and user.ini to GMDX\System and rename those to gmdx.ini and gmdxuser.ini. If you've followed my instructions, you should end up with this:
Screen shot of what my GMDX folder looks like.
Screen shot of what my GMDX folder looks like.
gmdx_ss01.jpg (3.76 KiB) Viewed 16384 times
Then, in the copied gmdx.ini, you modify it as follows (observing your path names you've given everything):

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=C:\DeusEx\GMDX\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
Paths=..\GMDX\System\*.u
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\GMDX\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\New Vision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\New Vision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\GMDX\Music\*.umx
Paths=..\Music\*.umx
Now in your dxloader.ini you add (in the sections):

[Detects]
GMDX.EXE=Deus Ex: GMDX

[GMDX.EXE]
IniFileName=GMDX\System\gmdx.ini
UserIniName=GMDX\System\gmdxUser.ini
LogFileName=GMDX\System\gmdx.log
SaveGamePath=GMDX\Save
Then you should be able to get it to run in the loader. I realize that all these cumulative changes might be overwhelming, so I included a copy of my current dxloader.ini and gmdx.ini with this post. Hope it helps.
Attachments
dxloaderini.zip
current dxloader.ini and gmdx.ini
(6.59 KiB) Downloaded 642 times
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Andrievskaya Veronika wrote:Very interesting project! But unfortunately, this program does not works for me. I only see this:
Here's something interesting. I'm on hardware now (Windows 8.1) that should (logically) show this same error, especially if I throw the program into \Program Files . But I'm failing to reproduce the error. In fact, the loader's working perfectly.

Is there anyone (else) receiving this same error that could tell me where they have Deus Ex, the loader, etc, so there's a possibility this could be fixed?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

ggrotz wrote: Is there anyone (else) receiving this same error that could tell me where they have Deus Ex, the loader, etc, so there's a possibility this could be fixed?
I just reproduced it and fixed it. Working on a new release of the loader, so if anyone has any ideas, good to get them in now.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

A new version of the loader has been posted on the first post of the thread.

1.07 - added "DeusExPath" line back in dxloader.ini, indicating the path to your Deus Ex install as the other method created a number of issues.
1.07 - updated the resolution detection code again, as it caused duplicates (again) on my new system.
1.07 - updated dxloader.ini with definitions for GMDX, DX: Nihilium, Terminus Machina and Kentie's new DirectX11 renderer.

As stated above, I'm working on something more equivalent to 2.00, so if you have any suggestions, by all means share them.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

[blank post]
Last edited by ggrotz on Fri May 09, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

[blank post]
ggrotz
X-51

Re: DX Loader 2.00

Post by ggrotz »

New version of the loader released. See the first post for details.
Elias79
Thug

Post by Elias79 »

I will try your launcher later, it could solve all my problems IF its compatible with Shifter :)
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Elias79 wrote:I will try your launcher later, it could solve all my problems IF its compatible with Shifter :)
It should put the proper lines in your INIs for Shifter if you set everything up right. The key is that you need to be running the right version of Shifter to match the HDTP you got. But it works, last time I checked it. :)
Elias79
Thug

Post by Elias79 »

I think i contracted an issue as when i press run nothing happens anymore, what am i doing wrong ?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Good improvements to the launcher.