New vision for Deus ex v1014f

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Filip
Mole Person

New vision for Deus ex v1014f

Post by Filip »

Hi ,i would like to ask ,if there is some possibility of Deus Ex mods-New Vision and HDTP ,could be playable on versions 1014f or 1002f. I ask because the translation to my native language is exactly for these versions only :roll: So i am unable to play Deus Ex modded and translated simultaneously. As i know and tried, New Vision and HDTP could be launched only on version 1112fm, by default, so i am very very curious, if there is some way to pass that problem.I hope that is. Thank you very much for every answer.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: New vision for Deus ex v1014f

Post by bobby 55 »

I think they need files that come with the patch to work.
I don't know if this would work but you could try to rename DeusExtextures to NVtextures in your Deus EX system folder. Extract the new Vision textures into that, and say "yes" to overwriting when prompted.
Don't forget to do the following: Under the heading [Core.System], there is a line ‘Paths=..\Textures\*.utx’
ABOVE this line, add ‘Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx’ (without quotes).

I don't know if that will work so copy and save your Deus Ex texture file first.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I vaguely remember the renderers require 1112fm, so that would rule out NV. HDTP does not require a new renderer, but might require 1112fm nonetheless.

Would it be possible to use the translation files with 1112fm? Not sure how those are built...
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Depends what's been translated. All the item/GUI texts etc are localized, so those would transfer across happily (it would just use your localization file). The conversations and so on..not so sure. I'm not 100% sure that conversations prepared with respect to an older consys.u and deusex.u would work happily in 1112fm, so..it's tricky.

Which language is this, and what translation work has been done?
Filip
Mole Person

Post by Filip »

Ok. So the possibility of NV(which is main for me) on 1014f , is very unlikely cause of renderers. So my only chance is , somehow get the translation worked on 1112fm. Translation is Czech. Translated are all in-game conversations, inventory descriptions, conversations history in inventory and in-game texts such as newspapers, logs etc, but NOT concrete objects in a game ,so theoretically it wouldn t be that a problem to simply overwrite all default texts files with the translated one. However, it isn't that simple, big problem is that the translation is exe.file. I tried to extract it with Uniextract , but it wasn't executed right, operation somehow stopped working in a middle of extracting. But i tried one thing. Before going to get the game modded-so on the 1014f, also when the game was in state of translated, i tried to copy all the files, that was changed, after the installation of translation. Then i mod the game up- so 1112fm and paste all previously copied files into their respective folders, overwriting older files. The result was that,that the game was really translated, in-game conversations was correct, conversations history was correct, but for example the name of object was incorect. It was glitchy combination of english and czech :smile: . In this state the game would be however playable for me, but the game after restart didnt load up. Second attempt was unsuccessful to, so i reinstall all the game.....But maybe this is somehow the way?
DDL

Post by DDL »

Hrmm..ok, so newspaper text etc would be in deusextext, which I think is literally just a text import package, so that should probably work if you keep the version that the translation makes.

Inventory descriptions, item description and world objects should all be in a localisation file, so I'm not entirely sure why you'd get translated inventory but not translated "concrete objects in a game", unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by concrete objects in a game...

For reference, a localisation file is something designed purely for translation: when putting text into a class that will be read by the player, the lazy way might be to do something like this:

Code: Select all

if(foo)
     player.clientmessage("You found a foo");
which is easier to write, but a nightmare to translate, since you have to rewrite the actual code and recompile.

A better way is

Code: Select all

var localized string foomsg;

if(foo)
        player.clientmessage(foomsg);

defaultproperties
{
foomsg="You found a foo"
}

Now that THIS means is that the text is now localized, so when it comes time to print that text ("You found a foo") the game first looks for the localization settings (in the .ini). Normally this will be set to "int", which means international..er..basically: english. If it finds deusex.int, it uses the text it finds there, otherwise it uses the default. For english, these will both be the same anyway. If however, you change that "int" to say..."frt", it will now look for a corresponding french localization file, deusex.frt. This is a text file within which there will be a like something like this:

[DDLsClass]
foomsg="Vous findez une foo"

(french is not my strong point, but whatever)

And thus in the game, whenever it wants to send that message to the player, it will use the french version instead.

This works for everything that is declared as localised, which is a hell of a lot of text in deusex.u. And this means that to get czech translations of most descriptions, inventory names etc, you'd just need to make your ini file point at say...deusex.czt or something, a text file with all the czech translations. You wouldn't need to alter the core code at all, so it would work no matter which version of deusex.u you had.

If this ISN'T what's happening, then it implies that the translation team wasn't aware of this capacity, which is a shame. I would think it might be possible to reverse engineer this, but I'm not sure.

The conversations, as noted, might have weird version dependencies, but maybe not.

So: check your ini file (I forget whether it's deusex.ini or user.ini) for a localization line, and tell me what's there. If it's int, tell me what your deusex.int file looks like. If it's something else (czt, or whatever) tell me what the corresponding deusex.czt file looks like.

:)
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I downloaded the German patch, and besides a whole lot of *.det files, I noticed that there are probably some .u files changed as well with translated stuff, such as 'DeusExConText.u'.

Do .u files have dependencies like regular dll files? It might be a bit optimistic to simply replace them.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
DDL

Post by DDL »

...some do. The problem with .u files is they're very versatile. They could be code, textures, models, sounds, text, or all of the above.

Deusextext is almost certainly just a text holder, whereas some of the conversationtext packages are built with reference to their respective conversationaudio packages, and to consys.u, so they might have odd dependencies.

:-/
Filip
Mole Person

Post by Filip »

Sorry my fault, by "concrete objects" i meant textrures, that textures fonts are not translated. However ,i succesfully manage to get the translation working. I simply overwrite files in system folder and maps folder, from the translation. But not all is translated corectly, it seems like there is some kind of war between english text file and czech text file, cause some things like weapons names are translated, but weapon stats in inventory for example not. Nevertheless later i suddenly managed to have even main menu translated, but don't know how, cause i don't change anything. And yeah the game couldn't be started. It spewed on me some error ,that had something to do with patch restrictions, i think. I quickly restarted the game, main menu was in english now and game was playable too. Very interesting.
In Deus Ex.ini under the heading engine.engine there is line Language=int, the translation file is int too so i think there shouldn't be a problem. The int file is full of czech text, so i think its should be correct too, don't know why it is glitchy then. When i played it on 1014f, it was translated without any glitch or error.