My mate just bought DX but can't get it to update to 1.112fm

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Massaca
NSF

My mate just bought DX but can't get it to update to 1.112fm

Post by Massaca »

He tried using the patch from ModDB and from CNET
I have no idea why it won't work but he put up these images.
http://imgur.com/a/eoppN

He also had this issue:
I've also been having another issue with the graphics. The shadows look green. From seeing videos online, I can tell that isn't normal
I've had this one once or twice before I used the Direct 3D renderer and Kenties exe but I can't seem to replicate it now (with different renderers) and have forgotten what caused it or how to fix it.
In a world without rules, danmaku is nonsense. ~ Marisa Kirisame
gamer0004
Illuminati

Re: My mate just bought DX but can't get it to update to 1.1

Post by gamer0004 »

Shadows are probably green because DX sets the graphics to 16 bit by default. Changing that to 32 bit should solve that issue.
As for the patch related problems I'm not sure what's going on. Perhaps he should try installing DX in a different folder or there might be a problem of the patch exe not recognizing a correct version of DX. Isn't it updated to 1.112fm already? Is it the right update for his version?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

1.001f, am I reading that first screen shot right? Anyway, I wouldn't doubt that the patches are somewhat cumulative. So you probably need to have at least one or two of the other intermediate patches to patch this version (though I could be wrong and something is just corrupted). Or probably given the likely impossibility of finding those patches, verify his source files to be the originals and see if something wasn't corrupted or changed, especially since you don't indicate this person's source, and provide the updated files.

If this copy of Deus Ex is that old, it probably will resolve the other problems, too. Or at least worth updating first before you proceed on checking those.
Massaca
NSF

Post by Massaca »

Well, it says he's got 1.002f but the patcher says 1.001f
http://i.imgur.com/Mi1QX.png

The 1.112fm patch is supposed to work for any previous versions of the game.

I tried switching my graphics back to 16-bit to see but it didn't happen. I let him know to make sure to switch that anyway.

@ggrotz: I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you implying that he acquired it illegally or got a dodgy version?
Should I get him to re-install it and try again?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

"Source" could also mean D2D, Steam, or even a garage sale. ;)

I'd try the reinstall. If he's got Windows 7 perhaps *playing the game for a few seconds to create an ini and save folder in My Documents. I know that sounds weird but I had to do that with another game so W7 could find it.

* Before installing the patch(es).
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Massaca wrote: The 1.112fm patch is supposed to work for any previous versions of the game.
It could just mean any previous version of the game in common existence at the time the patch was released. Then again, I don't know the complete patch history because I got into Deus Ex initially with version 1.109f.
Massaca wrote: @ggrotz: I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you implying that he acquired it illegally or got a dodgy version?
Should I get him to re-install it and try again?
I'm saying files get corrupted and patch programs will break if that is the case. Or if you do something to change the files yourself. At the very least, verifying the source of the original Deus Ex would be useful to suggest a path in patching it. Or it could be dodgy (there's a lot of counterfeits out there), and as a result someone else changed the files. You just never know.

As for patch problems, if you know the patch you have is supposed to work and it doesn't, reinstalling it is always the best bet. Unless there's some security precaution in the Vista/Seven OS that is causing this, which isn't entirely out of the question either.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

The patch is also just an executable zip file, so you may be able to unpack it using winrar and simply copy/pasting everything yourself.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Massaca
NSF

Post by Massaca »

He said he's gunna finish the game first cause he was already at Paris but will try uninstalling/reinstalling afterwards. See if it helps.
EER wrote:The patch is also just an executable zip file, so you may be able to unpack it using winrar and simply copy/pasting everything yourself.
Thanks for the idea, you're right. Everything was there in their folders so it would be very simple to do it manually if it still won't work.