The Artistic design in HR.

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Phobosares
Thug

The Artistic design in HR.

Post by Phobosares »

I really loved Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the many reasons that made the first game really shine. The gameplay, while being somewhat simpler to a degree than Deus Ex, it still yeilds some real entertainment. The developers behind Human Revolution really payed attention well to Deus Ex when they made the Prequel to it.

However, in one sense; I really find that the artistic direction that unveiled in Human Revolution has kind of took a seperate direction from the original idea Deus Ex uses. I speak of mainly the design of the architecture in the games, and technological features. Differences I think sort of makes Human Revolution veer away from Deus Ex is stuff like E-papers instead of Newspapers, which frankly; when Deus Ex was released in 2000 I guess we all didn't have any idea that e-readers would become a huge hit in the market. The artistic style in Human Revolution, was well executed in sake of knowing our technologies we are saturated in, and what we can predict. This might have been the same story for the original Deus Ex developers, back in 2000 when we had this cool idea of a dystopian future.

I guess the bottom line is, despite the artistic differences (The ones that are obvious comparing the timelines of each game) the time that has passed since Deus Ex onto Deus Ex: Human Revolution is somewhat long in length, and as the years progressed with new technologies, it was almost forced on the designers of the game's atmosphere and art to make something more closer to modern predictions. Needless to say, I will not complain over the fact that there is E-newspapers in Human Revolution, but then there is Newspapers in Deus ex (Which takes place years into the future).

In one sense, I could see the degradation of civilization taking place, and the move to simpler technologies becoming widespread after "some big problem" occured between Human Revolution and Deus Ex. I am not speaking of augmentations, because we know that the difference between mechanical augs and bio augs is very different. The mechanical being the older and more obsolete technology compared to the bio augs that exsist in Deus Ex.

But I digress, I think I might be paying TOO much attention to artistic detail of the setting, technology, and environment of the first Deus Ex and the third one. However, despite this fact, does anyone have any comments to bring to the table? Ideas of why this is the case? Let me know if I was a little vague, sometimes I feel like my writing isn't specific or descriptive enough.
EER
Illuminati

Re: The Artistic design in HR.

Post by EER »

I'm fairly sure it has been said by Eidos Montreal that although there are some major flaws in the technology upgrade path from HR to DX or IW (which have been discussed in detail both here and the official forums, I believe) they are going for a future that is believable 'from now', and not necessarily a future that is believable counting back from DX.

I don't have any references for this besides my memory, but I'm pretty sure this was the gist of the argument ;)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!