Scope mechanics

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Scope mechanics

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hello, are there any mods that FIX the following:

- Looking through scope of a weapon when you reload it automatically scopes-in again after animation.
- Looking through scope linked to rate of fire, noticeable on the sniper rifle most, when you look through scope, shoot and you cannot scope-out again until you are free to shoot again.

Hope that makes sense. Dodgy DX shooting mechanics :x Dont know how I put up with these annoyances all these years, not a huge issue though but a fix would be nice.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Scope mechanics

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Hello, are there any mods that FIX the following:

- Looking through scope of a weapon when you reload it automatically scopes-in again after animation.
- Looking through scope linked to rate of fire, noticeable on the sniper rifle most, when you look through scope, shoot and you cannot scope-out again until you are free to shoot again.

Hope that makes sense. Dodgy DX shooting mechanics :x Dont know how I put up with these annoyances all these years, not a huge issue though but a fix would be nice.
I know Shifter made some changes to zoom behavior, and I know I've made my own slight adjustments as well in Human Renovation.

Regarding the first point: Do you mean that there's no way to prevent the weapon from zooming in again after reload? I know that Shifter lets you stay zoomed in while reloading, and I think that fixes your issue, in a way. In my mod, you don't stay zoomed while reloading, but pressing the button to toggle zoom while reloading will properly prevent the weapon from zooming again once reloading is complete.

Regarding the second point: In both Shifter and my mod, you can toggle zoom at any time, including between shots.

Shifter ModDB home page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/shifter1

Human Renovation forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10985
And download site: http://code.google.com/p/deus-ex-human-renovation/
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hmnn your Human Renovation looks great, does it have the skills for kills system that Shifter has? I have a fresh Biomod install I have yet to play, I got that because I do not like the skills for kills, gives it an arcade feel I would have thought.

In your read me it mentions the athletics skill but no say of the mantling mechanic tied to it, did you remove it?

Will probably get this, Regen aug nerf, enemy AI buff, Energy shield passive and much more whats not to love?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Hmnn your Human Renovation looks great, does it have the skills for kills system that Shifter has? I have a fresh Biomod install I have yet to play, I got that because I do not like the skills for kills, gives it an arcade feel I would have thought.
Nah, it doesn't have any of that. In the readme, there's a section for anything I specifically got from Shifter, by the way, so if you're wondering if it has some feature Shifter has, that's a good place to look.
In your read me it mentions the athletics skill but no say of the mantling mechanic tied to it, did you remove it?
I didn't get the Athletics implementation from Biomod, I did it myself. I've never actually looked at Biomod, so I don't know much about it. When I changed Swimming to Athletics, I knew it was an idea that has been floating around before, but I didn't know Biomod had already done it. I'd be interested to see how Biomod handles it, and how it differs from what I did. It doesn't seem like the Biomod source is available anywhere, though, so I'd have to extract it myself.
Will probably get this, Regen aug nerf, enemy AI buff, Energy shield passive and much more whats not to love?
It's EMP Shield that's passive, not Energy Shield. :P

Energy Shield is probably still not as good as Regeneration in a lot of cases, but there's only so much you can do with the augmentations already in the game, and messing with them too much (like removing one, or adding a new one) is a little outside the scope of the mod.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote: Nah, it doesn't have any of that. In the readme, there's a section for anything I specifically got from Shifter, by the way, so if you're wondering if it has some feature Shifter has, that's a good place to look..
Cool, will do.

G-Flex wrote:It's EMP Shield that's passive, not Energy Shield. :P

Energy Shield is probably still not as good as Regeneration in a lot of cases, but there's only so much you can do with the augmentations already in the game, and messing with them too much (like removing one, or adding a new one) is a little outside the scope of the mod.
So what is your opinion on making Energy Shield passive then? Even if it was passive it still would not compare to regen, but it would be better.

EMP Shield passive was a good decision though.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Well... I wouldn't say that energy shield is bad. It's just that regeneration might still be better.

However, it's worth noting that Energy Shield also protects against explosions. The game doesn't really tell you that.

It's also better than Ballistic Protection, at least against the things it protects against. Although I'd still rather have protection from bullets than protection from flame/plasma/electricity/explosions.

Ballistic Protection: 60 energy/minute; 20%, 35%, 50%, 65% protection (20% + 15% per additional level).
Energy Shield: 40 energy/minute; 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% protection (20% per level).

So making it passive would be a bit much, I think. I think it's pretty much fine as it is. It's just that Regeneration is so damn useful, and would be no matter what, because it lets you exchange energy for health, and in a lot of places there are repairbots. At least with regen at a lower rate, though, it's not the godsend it used to be in combat... not as much, anyway.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Ok how about nerfing the protection Energy Shield provides to 15% 30% 45% 60% and then making it passive? Or 10% 20% 30% 40%.

There really is no incentive to choose E Shield over regen, except for added challenge. I suppose if you choose it for added challenge then it doesn't really matter whether it is passive or not.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

G-Flex wrote:Well... I wouldn't say that energy shield is bad. It's just that regeneration might still be better.

However, it's worth noting that Energy Shield also protects against explosions. The game doesn't really tell you that.
Yeah, the thing with energy shield is while it's useful for those things, there's really just not many things in most games where it's useful. About the only time I use it is playing Omega because there's a whole heap of plasma rifle carrying mofos. Explosions are more common, but not common enough that you can't avoid getting blown up. Usually, regeneration is the no-brainer choice simply for that reason, and then if I want the challenge I just don't install it at all.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Ok how about nerfing the protection Energy Shield provides to 15% 30% 45% 60% and then making it passive? Or 10% 20% 30% 40%.
Even then, you'd still probably want regeneration.

I think the bigger problem here is that Energy Shield and Regeneration are in the same flipping canister. Not sure if I'd do anything about that, though; swapping canister contents around would take some hackish code, and might mess with balance a little bit, although not much. I'll look into it later, though, and see if I can rig up combinations that make more sense.

Note that, strictly speaking, it's possible to have both Energy Shield and Regeneration, even in the vanilla game, since there's (probably?) more than one of those canisters. Not that anybody ever does that, but people seem to forget that you can, at least in theory. You could, say, skip Enviro/Aqualung and get both, probably.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

G-Flex wrote: Note that, strictly speaking, it's possible to have both Energy Shield and Regeneration, even in the vanilla game, since there's (probably?) more than one of those canisters.
There is. There's Reyes' gift, and then there's the one in Sector 2 of Area51. While you can do both, Area51 Section 2 is kinda late to get any use out of the energy shield (except in the Helios room of Sector 4). So you're still left with the choice of either/or.