DX1 Nostalgia

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

ggrotz
X-51

Re: DX1 Nostalgia

Post by ggrotz »

nerdenstein wrote: Haha! The stupid thing was, I'm sure I'd played the tutorial before then so I'd obviously been briefed on the IFF system.
The funnier part in thinking about this is how the game auto-triggers a conversation when you first run into Paul. "I just had a nice chat with this fellow. Maybe I should just shoot him in the face?"

But indeed, people do wierd things with games when they're first learning them. Mine was treating the game exactly like Half-Life. Run and gun gets you killed pretty quick and does nothing but drains your ammo.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

ggrotz wrote:
nerdenstein wrote: Run and gun gets you killed pretty quick and does nothing but drains your ammo.
Run n gunning is pretty damn fun once you have speed enhancement and a reasonable amount of accuracy.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
ggrotz wrote:
nerdenstein wrote: Run and gun gets you killed pretty quick and does nothing but drains your ammo.
Run n gunning is pretty damn fun once you have speed enhancement and a reasonable amount of accuracy.
Indeed. But that's later in the game. Doesn't work too well for Liberty Island.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

ggrotz wrote: Indeed. But that's later in the game. Doesn't work too well for Liberty Island.
Indeed. Stick with the prod! And pepper spray, and baton, and pistol headshots.

You'd never get a modern game where the player is so gimped at the start. <3 DX. Shame it has a reverse difficulty curve, but I still find it fun till the end. But I have yet to force myself to play without health regen yet, and that probably makes a huge difference.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
ggrotz wrote: Indeed. But that's later in the game. Doesn't work too well for Liberty Island.
Indeed. Stick with the prod! And pepper spray, and baton, and pistol headshots.

You'd never get a modern game where the player is so gimped at the start. <3 DX. Shame it has a reverse difficulty curve, but I still find it fun till the end. But I have yet to force myself to play without health regen yet, and that probably makes a huge difference.
Indeed. That was the thing with playing ZODIAC for the first time. There's really a steep learning curve on that one simply because you have an entire first level and most of another before you see a med bot, along with no regen aug. But yes, even vanilla DX with no regen aug is a much different challenge. Makes you pick your battles a lot more discriminately when there's higher costs involved.

And the odd thing about it, too. After playing DX a while (enough to beat it a time or two), I went back to Half-Life. It turns out that playing HL like Deus Ex doesn't work so well either.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

saw you guys mentioned ZODIAC... does anyone have any clue what ever happened to Steve Tack?

I still get the music from his well rounded mod stuck in my head from time to time.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

ZeroPresence wrote:saw you guys mentioned ZODIAC... does anyone have any clue what ever happened to Steve Tack?

I still get the music from his well rounded mod stuck in my head from time to time.
This is Steve Tack. You can probably get some clues from those posts, but I get a feeling he's probably moved on from DX, for most part.
Blues22475
Thug

Post by Blues22475 »

I remember my friend got me into Deus Ex when I was in high school. Ironically enough he got me on the ps2 version of the game and I played it quite a bit (which when I found the references to that in TNM I Lol'ed hard). Loved it ever since then. Then he got me to play DX2 and I enjoyed that too (though I thought it paled in comparison to the first one). Interestingly enough, I wound up being more of a fan of the DX series than he did for some odd reason (I did pick up Human Revolution played and beat it and also got the DLC which he did not). When I had heard there was a PC version (this was several years after the fact) I went and picked it up and realized how much better it was in than the Ps2 version.

Little did I know that I would spend the next couple of months playing the PC version of DX over and over and over again. Eventually I played The Nameless Mod because I wanted to play more Deus Ex in a different setting (I went on a search for more mods after that). Recently I found myself paying it quite a bit (for the past 2-3 months now DX and the Nameless mod). Most recently (besides TNM) I played 2027 which was phenomenal (but the story confused me). You had a cooler experience, imo, because you have friends to enjoy it with. I actually did not (as most of mine were busy with other games).

Tried to get Zodiac to work a couple weeks ago, but I had no luck (I assume it only works with the non-steam copy of DX unless I was derpin' too hard).
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Oh yeah, there's always some truth in sarcasm and it looks like he departed the Deus Ex scene. Oh well, he made a cool mod at any rate...

I haven't played 2027 because of principle. I heard during development some devs from there had a bad attitude about TNM. Last time I checked, there's no competition especially as we did this for fun and the enjoyment of others without monetary gain. I've personally seen people through DXMP, MSN and other various avenues try to stir me with such an attitude as well, not my cup of tea...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You really should play 2027. It's pretty great. Let bygones be bygones, it was probably just a misunderstanding anyway :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Stroggo
Thug

Post by Stroggo »

Ooh boy, does this bring back some memories for me! Back in 2000 I got my first computer (My parents were sick of me dicking around with the office machine and erasing all their accounts), and Deus Ex was the first game I played on it. Anyway my first and most vivid memory was when I burst into the woman's bathroom in UNATCO HQ, looking for candy bars, and to my amazement had Manderly chew me out about it later. Yep, despite all of Spector and Smith's emergent trickery, I never realized how deep the game was until that random outburst of Kleptomania!
Our system has been shocked!! But remember to Salt The Fries!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah that womens bathroom moment was the first of many enlightenments for most of us id have thought,
as odd as that must sound. 8-[
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

The first time I played Deus Ex was when I got my first PC, not too long ago. It came with Half-Life installed, but I wanted some more games to play, but since my PC was so damn old I was kind of limited. Eventually I remembered how my brothers used to play a game called "Deus Ex" all the time, and I decided to ask my brother if Deus Ex was a good game.

A minute later, I'm playing Deus Ex. Aaaaand...

I get shot and die, restart, get shot, die, restart, get shot, die. I got pissed off and quit playing. Thankfully, I never uninstalled the game. So cut to a day later, I decide to make a new character and take a different approach this time. I stealth my way up to the commander, finish the mission, and return to UNATCO HQ. Now I get to NYC, and...

I suddenly loved it. I loved the choice it gave, the well-implemented RPG elements, the crappy voice acting... I loved it all. And still do. Deus Ex is among my favorite games ever made. Now if only I didn't suck horribly at it at the time.

As for TNM, I downloaded it at first because I heard from someone during DXMP that it was an awesome mod. They were not incorrect.

tl;dr Played the game, hated it, played it again, loved it.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Ah memories...Back in 1999 I got a Pentium III 800mhz, 128MB (soon 386MB) SDRAM PC with onboard graphics, 17" CRT Packard Bell screen and other things I forget. I had a slow Pentium MMX machine with Win 98 SE on it prior.

Anyway, I wasn't really much of a PC gamer then (I had 56k dial-up and you know how slow that is for downloading anything, plus with parents complaining about the cost and not being able to use the phone, didn't help, I did play some games before then and lots on an old Amstrad 6128+ CPC back in 1993) but sometime later I got a PC game magazine and it had a CD with it, had the Deus Ex demo on it with a few pages on the game. Was hooked from the start of my first play. Then it was getting close to the time of the full game release and I'd never really bothered with full games before, just demos, but this one, I had to have it and I talked to my parents about taking me to get it on its release on CD. Got it.

As I was playing through it, I thought about if it were possible to edit the game, make your own levels and music etc... (never knew that in future that would be possible with the SDK) and that was the one thing I wanted, to be able to edit the game and create my own levels. I specifically remember when I got to the Area51Bunker map and was outside shooting the tower sniper and Walton Simons, "what if I took this level and did this..or moved this..." and was always wondering how I could listen or modify the game music, but as I said, then I had dialup that my parents felt iffy about me using.

When the SDK was released, I saw it on a CD of game mods and addons, so installed it, but because I didn't have the (then 1109f) mod, I couldn't use it as I didn't have the Editor.dll and I was p*ssed that I couldn't download it as it would have taken too long on dialup and parents not liking me using dialup for more than half an hour at a time.

So for a long time, it was only a dream, but got it and then soon got another CD copy of Deus Ex. I remember that while I was a member of DXEditing, wanting to see what mods others were doing so ussed to sneak onto the internet when my parents were out and if they came back and I was still online, I was sneak the phone cable back into the socket and take out the dialup line (which wasn't easy at times).

Next I found another gaming magazine with a CD that had some Deus Ex mods on it (Am and Daft, Mintys Mod (MM.u), Akimbo.u and a few others) and it had one mod I never found out what it was, nor does anyone really know it. Basically it was made by someone who didn't have a lot of experience with mods so it was a little crude.

It was set with Morgan Everett's house (or somewhere like it) and there was Illuminati troops (One of them was one of the UNATCO Troops you met in Deus EX but he left, either Barry or Kaplin) and characters named "Kevin Madison" and some others. I remember there was a map missing in the mod zip file but in the mod you had to kill the president. I remember Sam Carter was there in a room and he gave you your items but his name was different and Gunthur Hermann with a different name I think was your driver as you took a black van to where you had to assassinate President Mead. Also once I randomly spawned the Mutant in Black (from MM.U, Minty's Mod) and the guy who created the mod must have removed it from the map, because it had a conversation about how his Ambrosia on his face could heal him, but he wasn't invulnerable to getting killed. You played as JC. However the Illuminati troops collision height wasn't right.

Anyway, since then I got Sold Out GOTY version of Deus Ex without the soundtrack and newspaper clipping.

Also way back I remember wanting to get Face's Disclosure Demo, but the download link was broken for a very long time until it was eventually fixed and I did get it. Too bad it hasn't progressed or at least no updates on it....is Face even around anymore?

I think when I first got Deus Ex it got me interested in conspiracies...UFO coverups, Illuminati and so on.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Morpheus wrote:I think when I first got Deus Ex it got me interested in conspiracies...UFO coverups, Illuminati and so on.
Man, I remember EVERY mod you mentioned vividly. I have them installed on my laptop and bust them out every now and then. Fun fact, I remade the first level of BreakIn where JC Denton is a lawyer that prosecuted some asshole mob leader and because of this sends his goons to kill your son "Billy." The things that happen when you have no internet available...

But this, yeah same here. Deus Ex is when I really started considering more options than just what I was given in ideas like that.