Weird GEP Gun texture problem

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

coredumperror
Mole Person

Weird GEP Gun texture problem

Post by coredumperror »

This (probably) isn't directly related to HDTP/TNM/NV, but you guys are the best DX graphics experts I know of, so I'm hoping you can help me.

I'm seeing a very strange texture problem with my GEP Gun. As you can see in the screenshot linked below, the right side of the gun's texture is completely missing.

http://sadpanda.us/images/1039128-3P430PU.jpg

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I've tried using numerous different renderers, different resolutions, and other graphics settings, and even re-installing the game from scratch and using no mods at all. No matter what I do, the GEP Gun texture is broken, and I'm afraid that other things will be broken, too, though I haven't gone past the Liberty Island docks yet to find out.

The only other odd thing I've seen is that the floor around Page and Simons, in the opening monologue, flickers a bit.

I'm using a GeForce GTX 570 on Windows 7 x64.

I've played through Deus Ex a dozen or so times, and I have never seen anything like this before. What the heck is going on? :(
gamer0004
Illuminati

Re: Weird GEP Gun texture problem

Post by gamer0004 »

Looks like the Field of View settings are off. You probably adjusted the settings in the .ini file to allow for widescreen gaming?
coredumperror
Mole Person

Post by coredumperror »

gamer0004 wrote:Looks like the Field of View settings are off. You probably adjusted the settings in the .ini file to allow for widescreen gaming?
No, I didn't change any .ini settings (I don't think). This happens even when I play a completely vanilla install.

Is there some setting somewhere that's not in the base Deus Ex folder, like the registry or something?

EDIT: Although now that I think about it, I did mess with some renderer settings when I first installed Kentie's DX10 renderer. But would that have an effect on all the other renderers? And do those settings stick around even after the game is uninstalled?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

coredumperror wrote: I'm seeing a very strange texture problem with my GEP Gun. As you can see in the screenshot linked below, the right side of the gun's texture is completely missing.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?.

I've played through Deus Ex a dozen or so times, and I have never seen anything like this before. What the heck is going on? :(
This happens because you are using a widescreen resolution (16:9 or 16:10) with a FOV setting to match it. There's really nothing you can do about this, since Deus Ex is a 10+ year old game designed when there were no such things as widescreen monitors. The assumption with the GEP gun graphic was that it would be on the edge of a 4:3 monitor FOV (pictured as on your right shoulder), and it works that way. But it falls apart when you don't have it. You can set a 4:3 FOV and get it back on the edge of the screen but you end up in the "land of the fat people" when it comes to how the things on your screen looks and *that* doesn't work too well either.

See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10117 for more information. I'm hoping the HDTP project (since they'd be the ones to redo the GEP gun anyway with better graphics) or somebody comes up with an answer for the goofy graphics you get on widescreen monitors.

But if you have a widescreen monitor, it's best to just live with it.
coredumperror
Mole Person

Post by coredumperror »

Thank you for explaining this so thoroughly! I was initially afraid that the problem would affect other textures in the game, but now that I understand why this is happening, I can recognize that it won't cause other problems. And I don't really mind the GEP Gun looking a bit wonky in wide screen, so I guess I'm all set.
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

Post by Andrievskaya Veronika »

This can be fixed by using this console command (press T in game and type this):

Code: Select all

set WeaponGepGun PlayerViewOffset (X=36.00,Y=-22.00,Z=-10.00)
This method was used in 2027. It works!
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Andrievskaya Veronika wrote:This can be fixed by using this console command (press T in game and type this):

Code: Select all

set WeaponGepGun PlayerViewOffset (X=36.00,Y=-22.00,Z=-10.00)
This method was used in 2027. It works!
After I wrote my original post I looked at 2027 and noticed that the GEP gun was right. If it's that "easy" to fix, I wonder if it's possible to script commands like that when you load DX or if it would require code changes to make it permanent/default?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

In theory, you'd want to change the firing offset, not just the view offset, for obvious reasons. However, that has the implication that aspect ratio changes actual game mechanics, but it would be to such a small degree as to be probably irrelevant. Also, you'd want to make sure the weapon isn't so far off to the side that the angle of fire looks weird or anything, but that probably wouldn't be an problem.

Since those offsets are weapon properties, if one were to script an automatic fix for this based on aspect ratio, I would recommend shoving it in whatever function is called when the weapon is wielded (BringUp() I think). This might seem like overkill, since it would be recalculated every time, but would probably be the most reliable solution... unless the player changes resolution in-game.