Free kitchen sink designs from Nigeria

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDX Mode- V1 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Baldur wrote:I was asking w/o HDTP only. i know it's not compatible with HR so all my mod plays are w/o HR anyway!
will try HDTP but currently want to try this mod w/o HDTP and play, if possible!..
What I have done (with DDL's help) is take HDTP and add some features to it.
On my first post of this thread, you will see the examples of changes: Augs, Weapons & skills. Those changes are built into HDTP for this mod, aswell as the custom weapons, which are all vital parts of the mod. Sorry I should have explained that before.

So yeah, do try and get HDTP installed. Post in the HDTP sub forums if you need any help and you should be up and running in no time.
Baldur wrote: EDIT: A couple of features require HDTP..oops. Dld. HDTP first than. and go for install!.. :)
Great. Please leave feedback if you are not too busy having fun ;) ...8-[
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Cybernetic pig wrote:But dont you have to add the lines in the .ini during installation? But I see, seems the pros outweigh the cons.
As far as I know the only reason to add EditPackages to your .ini file is to make it possible for the editor to open the packages automatically. You could just dump your packages into the default directories (System, Textures, Sounds etc.), or you can have your own folder and then just add paths to the .ini.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:But dont you have to add the lines in the .ini during installation? But I see, seems the pros outweigh the cons.
As far as I know the only reason to add EditPackages to your .ini file is to make it possible for the editor to open the packages automatically. You could just dump your packages into the default directories (System, Textures, Sounds etc.), or you can have your own folder and then just add paths to the .ini.
Useful info, thanks.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Also, when I'm done with the next Revision beta (internal-ish) release when I can code up an installer for your mod, or rather just copy the installer source I have for Revision/New Vision and then just change some stuff.

And the beta is done as soon as I can get rid of some bsps in two of the Battery Park maps :/
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

:smile: Some cool dudes on this forum.

EDIT: Damn, there is no bisfemale option in unrealED. Looks like I am going to have to give mission scripting a go too.

How could I forget the PS20? That pos is getting buffed. Probably so it fires three consecutive shots at the press of a button to avoid having it break doors.
Wait it is already buffed since I buffed the plasma rifle.
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

Another way to balance regen could be to disable it for 5 seconds after taking damage, especially since in the vanilla game you can sometimes out-tank damage as long as the enemy doesn't have 100% accuracy.

Also, for the damage reduction aug, instead of making it only 40% and finding it late-game, I would instead make it do 50% damage reduction over all levels, but drain 2.5/2/1.5/1 times the amount of damage as energy per hit (and cost 1 energy per second to use). This also, of course, makes it scale very badly with Regeneration, which requires a lot of energy. A nice way to balance 2 overpowered augs, IMO

Also, I dont see anything in the thread about the flamethrower. Has it been nerfed? it is WAY too good in vanilla. It is not so much the damage, it is the fact that I can practically permanently disable and kill an enemy with 1 ammo

Another idea. Generally Darts and Flare Darts are unused. I dont necessarily think this is because they are bad, I think it is because most people either use the pistol which is better or go a non-lethal build in which case these darts are useless.

Maybe you could address the crossbow somehow by making a crossbow focused lethal build separate (and not inferior) to a pistol focused lethal build while relying on the same skills. I know making it emphasize stealth kills and assassination would probably be the way to go, but deus ex is structured around non-lethal being usually just as easy as (if you have the right weapons and are just as good at stealth) and yet a LOT more rewarding than an assassin type character.

Also, I know gameplay is important, but you probably should look at a different way of balancing the DTS. From reading this thread your current solution just seems....weird. I can't really think of a good way to balance it, but maybe if it did lots of bonus damage to robots, alarms doors etc but was only as good as a normal sword against humans? This would in a way fit in with the nano-sharpening (or whatever thet call it) that it has which makes it super sharp etc and more techno, and in a world where bots are becoming more and more common, it would make sense to invest in such a weapon. Also, it would allow dedicated melee characters to deal with bots in ways other than sneaking past them or throwing a LAM and hoping for the best.

Just my opinions. I have hardly played this mod yet and my suggestions are probably terrible. Mod is looking and playing really well so far, so keep it up.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hi there.
PlausibleSarge wrote:Another way to balance regen could be to disable it for 5 seconds after taking damage, especially since in the vanilla game you can sometimes out-tank damage as long as the enemy doesn't have 100% accuracy.
Good suggestion, however out-tanking damage is only half as effective now, and enemies behave more aggressively, and also there are less biocells to be found, so this is probably not neccessary. Keep playing and see how you feel, especially late in the game.

Also out-tanking was a reflex trick, so that took skill, but now it is hopefully not overpowered.
Also, for the damage reduction aug, instead of making it only 40% and finding it late-game, I would instead make it do 50% damage reduction over all levels, but drain 2.5/2/1.5/1 times the amount of damage as energy per hit (and cost 1 energy per second to use). This also, of course, makes it scale very badly with Regeneration, which requires a lot of energy. A nice way to balance 2 overpowered augs, IMO
Also a good idea, it will be considered. However it will still probably be found late in the game, because even with both this idea and the above, combining with regen is a dick move by the player. Also gives EMP some spotlight (which also drains 0 energy, but has to be turned on. This function will be changed though, needs a little bit of drain).

Also, I dont see anything in the thread about the flamethrower. Has it been nerfed? it is WAY too good in vanilla. It is not so much the damage, it is the fact that I can practically permanently disable and kill an enemy with 1 ammo
Ammo is far rarer, and in V2 it will be inneffective against MIBs.
Another idea. Generally Darts and Flare Darts are unused. I dont necessarily think this is because they are bad, I think it is because most people either use the pistol which is better or go a non-lethal build in which case these darts are useless.
Unused by you. Mini-crossbow is a keeper regardless of wether you plan to use it or not, being one inventory slot. Tranqs KO lower-tier enemies in one shot overtime, Darts can stealth kill low-tier enemies with a headshot, and Flares can distract enemies or light up dark rooms.
However I already have plans for xbow in V2- Dart damage will be raised from 15 to 20 & flare darts may set enemies on fire with a direct hit (would be cool, but OP and remove the other uses of flare darts).
Also xbow can be upgraded with clip mods already in V1.
Also, I know gameplay is important, but you probably should look at a different way of balancing the DTS. From reading this thread your current solution just seems....weird.
I can't really think of a good way to balance it

Well that is not very plausible......Sarge. :P
but maybe if it did lots of bonus damage to robots, alarms doors etc but was only as good as a normal sword against humans? This would in a way fit in with the nano-sharpening (or whatever thet call it) that it has which makes it super sharp etc and more techno, and in a world where bots are becoming more and more common, it would make sense to invest in such a weapon. Also, it would allow dedicated melee characters to deal with bots in ways other than sneaking past them or throwing a LAM and hoping for the best.
Well look at that, not a bad way after all. However I am simply just going to raise it to 30 damage instead of 10. I did go a bit overboard on that one. The range will stay, it is fun.
I will consider having it add EMP damage too, or maybe make Combat strength give EMP damage to all melee weapons like in Shifter, I think it is shifter anyway.
Just my opinions. I have hardly played this mod yet and my suggestions are probably terrible. Mod is looking and playing really well so far, so keep it up.
Some good suggestions, and thank you. The looking part is down to HDTP and New Vision though, unless you are talking about level design changes.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

Thanks for the though out response. I will suggest things that come up as I play more.

EDIT: Wow, I can't believe I said "more techno". I feel like a 12 year old.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

PlausibleSarge wrote:Thanks for the though out response. I will suggest things that come up as I play more.
Great, looking forward to it. You will be helping make a better mod. Also I edited the final sentence of my previous post.
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

Cybernetic pig wrote:The looking part is down to HDTP and New Vision though, unless you are talking about level design changes.
Looking Good is a general figure of speech, meaning something along the lines of "Good Work" rather than the actual graphical properties of the game
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah I thought that might have been what you meant, but since you said "Looking and playing good" I got confused.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Also the mini-xbow is the only ranged weapon that can be used underwater, IIRC.
Or maybe the Stealth pistol too. Been a long time since I done a playthrough with one, i'll probably just give it a test in UED.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Can I have some opinions on making Silent Running aug Passive- no energy drain and always active? Too effective at max aug level right?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Yeah, I personally say either make the Speed augmentation worse instead, or just reduce the cost instead of making it entirely passive... unless you can think of another way to make Silent Running better, but I can't.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote: or just reduce the cost instead of making it entirely passive... .
Yeah that is how it currently is...i'll stick with that then. Thanks for your opinion.