Deus Ex is not Cyberpunk.

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:The Cradle is so creepy, Gordon Freeman would curl up in a corner and tremble like a little girl.
Only if Alyx wasn't there with him.
Tricky
Thug

Post by Tricky »

Badum-pssh!
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Jonas wrote:The Cradle is so creepy, Gordon Freeman would curl up in a corner and tremble like a little girl.
Ah, but you forget! Half Life 2 doesn't have any cinematics to take the player away from the action! It would be difficult for Gordon to curl up in a corner because there's no "Curl up in a corner and tremble like a little girl" key 8)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Master_Kale wrote:
Ah, but you forget! Half Life 2 doesn't have any cinematics to take the player away from the action! It would be difficult for Gordon to curl up in a corner because there's no "Curl up in a corner and tremble like a little girl" key 8)
There are plenty of moments in half life where, while you technically still have control of Gordon, something is happening to him or controlling him (like in HL1 when he's knocked out and dragged away, at the end of HL2, or when the combine slug thing grabs him and alyx in episode 2) where he moved irrespective of your controls. ;)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Then there are always the bits where technically you're controlling him, but have no real choice in the matter, like the bit where you suddenly twig what Dog is thinking when you're at the cliff-face with the wrecked car, and you scrabble around looking for the "OH MY FUCKING GOD, YOU MUST BE JOKING." button.

Which to be honest, poor Dr. Freeman really, really needs.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If HL2 had such a button, you wouldn't need any other keybinds, really.

And Kale, ever heard of Crouch?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

On the Deus Ex Cyberpunk thing, I've just written an essay on genre, thought I'd link this if it hasn't been linked before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genre_studies

"Genres are not free-standing entities, but are actually intimately connected and interactive amongst themselves.

... very few works have all the characteristics of the genre in which they participate. Also, due to the interrelatedness of genres, none of them is clearly defined at the edges, but rather fade into one another. Genre works to promote organization, but there is no absolute way to classify works, and thus genre is still problematic and its theory still evolving."

There's a structuralist interpretation anyway.

Oh, and Half Life needs a "No thanks." button. As it is, Freeman is very agreeable.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You might as well give up, JAF, if people want to tell themselves genres don't exist because they can't wrap their head around a classification system that isn't completely rigid and infallible, there's no way you're gonna change that.

lol @ HL2 Decline button. Problem with that is it implies you have a choice. In the HL games, you don't.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
MartaNilla
Thug

Re: Deus Ex is not Cyberpunk.

Post by MartaNilla »

I'm grateful for essay writing services. They've helped me improve my grades and reduced my academic workload. More here msn.com/en-us/news/news/college-essay-writing-services-a-review-of-the-top-5/ar-AA1iyTYQ