GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Made in China
MJ12

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Made in China »

Well, the sabot rounds should have a boost against mechs and be less effective against organics. I have no idea if this is actually implemented, but it sets apart the shotgun from the sniper rifle because it affects general use.
If anything, it should be a poor man's 20mm HE grenade - great against in-world objects and mechs and applies there pretty heavily, but is a waste against most everything else (well, the sabot round should be ineffective against them - but same difference).
Bird
NSF

WEAPWNZ.cringe!

Post by Bird »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Not from a gameplay POV!
Yes, in gameplay terms it is excellent, but from a want to be gun-nerd's point of view who reads weapon descriptions it makes one so uncomfortable. Currently it is a diamond in the rough.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Currently it's:

buckshot:

No damage modifier vs organics
70% (or so) damage reduction vs bots
Only damages cameras etc if bypassing damage threshold

Sabot:

No dam modifier vs organics
No dam modifier vs bots
Damages cameras etc regardless of damage threshold

So sabot is better in every way, only it's a little rarer. This is all vanilla design.
There's no written rule one has to be better vs organics and the other better vs bots. 20mm for example is highly effective vs everything. You only end up using sabot on bots and cameras/turrets etc anyway, because it is the smart thing to do.

Anyhow, I may make sabot fire one slug/flechette or whatever, for the sake of gameplay diversity and the added bonus of more realism.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Quoting the sabot rounds description:
"A 12 gauge shotgun shell surrounding a solid core of tungsten that can punch through all but the thickest hardened steel armor at close range; however, its ballistic profile will result in minimal damage to soft targets. "

I think that it's worth having a damage reduction for it as well - something along the lines of 60%-80% of the original damage, so it won't be a one-size-fits-all solution.

As far as I understand it, slugs are designed to go right through a target and they won't break in soft targets - which actually inflicts less damage. Rifle rounds generally carry a lot of momentum and shoot upwards when they hit a soft body, causing them to break apart and bounce around the body causing more damage. Pistol rounds (especially hollow points) expand and break apart, again causing more damage.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

So there is a written rule after all :)

Well, there's no damage reduction in the code. Will fix.
RoSoDude
Thug

Post by RoSoDude »

I imagine you'd still have the same shotgun accuracy, but applying to a single slug rather than multiple pellets? That sounds reasonably balanced so as to not encroach on the sniper rifle to me.

I've always felt a little weird about the cone of fire for the shotgun tightening as you get a better rifle skill, but it actually feels pretty good in gameplay, so IDK. Not to mention actual shotguns are good at range, so it's not as big a problem as it might seem.
Defaultplayer001
NSF

Post by Defaultplayer001 »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Ah, I forgot: also transfer the contents of HDTP\System to DeusEx\System, except HDTP's DeusEx.u. Should be the problem.

If that doesn't work:

Where is unrealEd located on you hard drive?

You sure it's the correct DeusEx.u? Looks like it is. 6mb sounds about right for v8.0.

Are you sure the EditPackages lines were set in the DeusEx.ini found in DeusEx\System and not in any other DeusEx.ini?
it's located in my DX system folder, C:\DeusEx\System

Just confirmed both, yup!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Well, those are the necessary steps. What does the log say when you attempt to load the DeusEx.u directly via the editor? It should give an error message, if not you must be loading the wrong DeusEx.u.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

It's a minor nitpick, but the Area 51 Sector 4 nanite fan doesn't really fit in - it's a mechanic that's only used once, and the first time you see a forcefield applied to an area rather than an NPC - not to mention, the first time you see the mechanism in action. It's only used once and it isn't much of a puzzle - and without explanation, it's more of a Deus Ex Machina (ha).

That being said, I like Bob Page barricading himself in there because it shows at least some forethought on his part. Maybe having to bypass the locked (either 100% or Inf.) security hatch using a hard-to-get-to vent will fix it? That would also make getting the Helios ending harder, as right now you can just do this:
Bolt in, talk to Page, jump over the railing, shoot the MiB, multitool into the hub, kill the commando, and run back out. You'll see 2 enemies total for that ending, and the only annoyances you'll face are the turrets surrounding Bob Page.
Without the ability to run away easily (as that vent is hard to-get-to) you won't be able to cheese out the ending, which I feel is an improvement over the current way things are.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Also lets the lengthy two infolink transmissions play out without being cut off without warning by the Page conversation.
RoSoDude
Thug

Post by RoSoDude »

Quick question, is there any way to toggle individual HDTP models (weapons in particular)? There are a few vanilla models that I prefer.

If there's not I'll have to figure out how to do it the editor, which I guess would be good to learn lol.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

In the official HDTP release there was toggling of the character models, but I removed that for a variety of reasons, the primary one being massive, incredibly jarring inconsistency.

Other meshes no, no support for that, though it's understandable why it would be desired in a small handful of cases.
Not sure what you expect to be able to do via the editor though, I don't think there's much reach there. Dig into the code direct or use Unreal mutators.
RoSoDude
Thug

Post by RoSoDude »

I didn't mean UnrealEd, I said editor when I just meant editing the code itself. But I'll look into it.
Defaultplayer001
NSF

Post by Defaultplayer001 »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Well, those are the necessary steps. What does the log say when you attempt to load the DeusEx.u directly via the editor? It should give an error message, if not you must be loading the wrong DeusEx.u.
OK so I booted up a VM to try to figure out this problem, at least make sure it wasn't anything related to my install. After an entire mini-saga the past few days (I assumed it'd be safer to try to run it on a xp vm, actually entirely wrong! 10 was way easier)

I finally got it running and realized I forgot the "EditPackages=Models" line in my original ini ><
Edit: Was just about done typing this when I realized,when you originally posted it I noticed you quoted the package list, so I googled the original thread, http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 6&p=113478, I had copied the package list from there, which is the same sans two lines.

Unfortunately this wasn't my issue... as now it crashes on boot, in both the VM and my regular install, exact same result.
Here's the clip of what the editor window upon crash, a log file is only partially generated http://pastebin.com/MTJZhy9s

These are the steps I've followed, As I wrote down from this thread for reference : http://pastebin.com/M3S8T7zV

My Install/SDK are located in C:\DeusEx.
The Deusex.ini loaded/modified is in C:\DeusEx\system
Triple checked that all the files are in right places as well as redoing the whole VM installation multiple times.

Thanks again for the help, really confused by this lol, spent a long time trying to solve it.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

The whole time throughout your process a different DeusEx.u was being loaded. If you can launch the editor at all that means a DeusEx.u is found.

This means either a) you don't have v8.0's DeusEx.u in DeusEx\System but rather a different DeusEx.u, or b) the editor is finding another DeusEx.u somewhere else, which is causing conflicts.

Now that you're getting crashes when trying to launch the editor at all and the log is giving nothing...I've no idea.

Try moving HDTP's DeusEx.u out of the DeusExDirectory too. It causes problems having multiple DeusEx.u files in the DeusEx Directory when compiling code but shouldn't when using the editor. Or maybe it does. I've had HDTP's DeusEx.u deleted outright for years.
I'll check here often until we get this sorted.