Suggestion: Gamma fix mod

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Dark Reality
UNATCO

Suggestion: Gamma fix mod

Post by Dark Reality »

By now I'm sure we all know about the gamma problem in DX. DX uses gamma (a display setting, like brightness or contrast) to brighten the game, and when it crashes, the gamma settings are locked in and your Windows desktop looks bleached, washed out, and there's no way to fix it short of restarting the computer.

I've also heard that you can load DX, crank the gamma down manually, and force it to close via the task manager. But then you've gotta go back in and change the gamma back.

So I got to thinking: Shifter, TNM, HDTP, Hotel Carone, and others are really cool and all, but after nine years I would have thought someone would have written a mod that adds a "Gamma fix" .exe to the Deus Ex folder (and Start Menu folder) which would 1) alter the gamma setting in the .ini file, 2) launch the game, 3) initiate a crash, and 4) set the gamma back in the .ini - assuming that hack works. And if it doesn't - something that would fix the gamma without a restart.

And with a lot of modders hanging out here, I thought I'd suggest it. It seems to me it wouldn't be nearly as complex as TNM, or even Shifter perhaps.
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Suggestion: Gamma fix mod

Post by Jim »

That gamma thing is indeed irritating. There's no need to go to that much trouble, because I can just write a tiny little app that resets gamma instantly. Although it would be nice if there was a more elegant solution.. so I'll think about it and write something, and maybe I can convince jonas to include it in the patch if I finish it before it comes out.
I exist within the power lines...for some odd reason.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That will have to be the next patch.

But have no worries, there will be another patch. At least one.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

DON'T THINK I WON'T COME AFTER YOUR FAMILY, JONAS!

...because I have a delicious cake to give to them.
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

Here you go, a gamma reset app. I had fun playing around with the settings to compile it ultra ultra tiny. Only a 602 byte download!
Attachments
GammaReset.zip
(602 Bytes) Downloaded 9170 times
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Holy crap. It worked. Damn, that should be included in the game or something.

May I host this on my site? I haven't updated it in a while - no mention of TNM. I was going to do it, and then I was going to wait for the 1.0.1 patch - I didn't want to endorse it with all the random crashes, but rather was looking forward to being able to recommend it as stable.

Without wanting to spam (I don't even run AdSense, let alone the annoying ads, or any kind of ads), here's my site, so you can see what I'm trying to do: pretty much a simple site about the game, with a few original articles.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jim wrote:Here you go, a gamma reset app. I had fun playing around with the settings to compile it ultra ultra tiny. Only a 602 byte download!
Thank you kind sir, and may you have a good day! :D

(I like using "Old" English, protonostalgia is to blame...)
DXNathan wrote:Without wanting to spam (I don't even run AdSense, let alone the annoying ads, or any kind of ads), here's my site, so you can see what I'm trying to do: pretty much a simple site about the game, with a few original articles.
What is this about ads? I never have to see any of those annoying ads EVER. :D

Firefox + Adblock Plus + Noscript = 73|-| |7\/\/|\| (The pawn)
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

Jim wrote:Here you go, a gamma reset app. I had fun playing around with the settings to compile it ultra ultra tiny. Only a 602 byte download!
Awesome fix, but would it not be possible to make TNM (or DX) execute the .exe on exit?
(I wouldn't know if it's possible at all, just thinking aloud)
Scale
NSF

Post by Scale »

JC12 wrote:
Awesome fix, but would it not be possible to make TNM (or DX) execute the .exe on exit?
Not if it crashes (unless it can be done in the exception handler but i don't know if the SDK allows such things)
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Kee715 wrote:What is this about ads? I never have to see any of those annoying ads EVER. :D

Firefox + Adblock Plus + Noscript = 73|-| |7\/\/|\| (The pawn)
Ditto for me, but I don't use NoScript. It's a good idea but overkill and I've never had a use for it. Yeah, I hate ads... I put AdSense on my blog, and a year later hadn't made a dime on it, so I took it off. Advertising is the biggest scam on the Net. You basically can get paid to harass people, paid well if you're good at it. They're starting to make some of it (mostly spam email) illegal, which is a good start, but it's not enough. Until more gets done... Firefox and Adblock Plus FTW!
JC12 wrote:Awesome fix, but would it not be possible to make TNM (or DX) execute the .exe on exit?
It does. It resets the gamma upon exit. When it crashes, it doesn't get to do all the neat things it does when it exits normally. Hence the term crash.

What might be able to be done, however, is a launcher for DX. The launcher sits in your system tray, and maybe it can have some cute functions like connecting you to this forum or the GameFAQs board for DX or other places of interest, but its main function would be to launch DX and/or TNM or whatever other mods you have. (Ideally such a thing would do deusex.u/.int swapping, so as to switch between Shifter, Smoke's Mod, and vanilla DX on the fly.) While the game runs, the launcher could keep an eye on what the game is doing, possibly back up saves, or assign a global hotkey to take screen shots and/or record video, and if it detects a crash, it could fix the gamma for you.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Is it worth pointing out that this isn't a universal problem? This only actually happens to a (I assume) small percentage of DX players, so don't get too carried away with crazy autolaunchers and the like.. :)
Shadowtruth
Thug

Post by Shadowtruth »

Everyone with a nvidia card? (not sure, but I believe it didn't happen on my old radeon)
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Nvidia + OpenGL Renderer I think. I recently switched to the DX9 renderer because of the gamma problem, but I might just switch back to try this new tool out ;)
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

Kee715 wrote:
JC12 wrote:Awesome fix, but would it not be possible to make TNM (or DX) execute the .exe on exit?
It does. It resets the gamma upon exit. When it crashes, it doesn't get to do all the neat things it does when it exits normally. Hence the term crash.
Ye sorry, I meant run the program when it crashes (But then I guess it'd have to be on actual exit aswell).

I'm not bothered if it doesn't since I have the fix next to TNM.exe on my desktop.
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Shadowtruth wrote:Everyone with a nvidia card? (not sure, but I believe it didn't happen on my old radeon)
Really? I always thought it was a universal problem. I've never used anything but an nVidia card, but since I've gotten less serious about PC gaming (thanks to an Xbox 360), next computer I build (whenever that is) might have something other than nVidia. I really don't play new PC games anyway.
odawali wrote:Nvidia + OpenGL Renderer I think. I recently switched to the DX9 renderer because of the gamma problem, but I might just switch back to try this new tool out ;)
Care to link to that? I've heard it mentioned, it might be worth trying out.
JC12 wrote:[...] I have the fix next to TNM.exe on my desktop.
LOL, same here. I was telling my wife about it... "Double-click on My Computer, G drive, Archived Games, Deus Ex, double-click on... ah hell I'll just put a shortcut on the desktop by DX and TNM. Double click on that." Of course if it crashes I'm not gonna leave it like that for her to bother with it, I'll clean up my own mess, but I guess the supposition is that one day she'll give TNM a try. She tried DX on Easy and got killed in short order on Liberty Island and hasn't tried it since. (But when it comes to Rock Band, she'll kill me every time. Anyone know what the Endless Setlist is? She's a Platinum Vocalist.)