Suggestion: Gamma fix mod

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

odawali
UNATCO

Re: Suggestion: Gamma fix mod

Post by odawali »

DXNathan wrote:
odawali wrote:Nvidia + OpenGL Renderer I think. I recently switched to the DX9 renderer because of the gamma problem, but I might just switch back to try this new tool out ;)
Care to link to that? I've heard it mentioned, it might be worth trying out.
It's on the same site as the Enhanced OpenGL Renderer.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I use an ATI card (And a crap one at that (ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series)) and I encountered crashes (As I stated), I was using the new OpenGL renderer...

I have not encountered a crash yet, granted I have not played much yet (Only 2 or 3 hours...) but still this seems much more stable now. :D
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

odawali wrote:
DXNathan wrote:
odawali wrote:Nvidia + OpenGL Renderer I think. I recently switched to the DX9 renderer because of the gamma problem, but I might just switch back to try this new tool out ;)
Care to link to that? I've heard it mentioned, it might be worth trying out.
It's on the same site as the Enhanced OpenGL Renderer.
Right... oh wait, no, it isn't. I got it ages ago, and following other peoples' requests for the enhanced OpenGL renderer, I hosted it on my own DX site, just since it was so small. And I haven't got a DX9 renderer up there. ;-)

Though if you have the original link to the OpenGL renderer, I can link to that. :mrgreen: I need to update the site anyway to link to/write about TNM, among a couple other things.
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

I have an Nvidia card and I use the OpenGL renderer and I've never had an issue with gamma after crashes with DX or TNM.
bsperan
Mole Person

Post by bsperan »

Jim wrote:Here you go, a gamma reset app. I had fun playing around with the settings to compile it ultra ultra tiny. Only a 602 byte download!
This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I really despise having reboot my PC after a crash just to fix the gamma level of the monitor.

However, after downloading and trying to run this, my anti-virus (AVG) intercepts it and automatically moves it to my virus vault. It calls it a "Generic Trojan" ?! :shock:

I want to assume this is just another example of anti-virus programs becoming more and more overzealous. But I have been bitten by trojans/viruses in the past and I've been more cautious since. Can anyone here confirm that this is safe to use?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

bsperan wrote:
Jim wrote:Here you go, a gamma reset app. I had fun playing around with the settings to compile it ultra ultra tiny. Only a 602 byte download!
This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I really despise having reboot my PC after a crash just to fix the gamma level of the monitor.

However, after downloading and trying to run this, my anti-virus (AVG) intercepts it and automatically moves it to my virus vault. It calls it a "Generic Trojan" ?! :shock:

I want to assume this is just another example of anti-virus programs becoming more and more overzealous. But I have been bitten by trojans/viruses in the past and I've been more cautious since. Can anyone here confirm that this is safe to use?
I used it without a problem a little while ago. I've got Norton and it found no threat then. I just DL'd it again, Norton hasn't gone batshit. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I got the same issue with AVG but just ignored it.
I'm so moving from AVG to something else real soon. Probably Avast!.

Anyway, it's a neat little mod so thanks a bunch! Despite this being a very dead thread. :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Dark Reality wrote:By now I'm sure we all know about the gamma problem in DX. DX uses gamma (a display setting, like brightness or contrast) to brighten the game, and when it crashes, the gamma settings are locked in and your Windows desktop looks bleached, washed out, and there's no way to fix it short of restarting the computer.
Jcelios wrote:I have an Nvidia card and I use the OpenGL renderer and I've never had an issue with gamma after crashes with DX or TNM.
Ditto here. Never had a problem one with my NVidia card and any renderer I've tried against it relating to gamma settings at any point I've ever run Deus Ex or any other game. Furthermore in researching things for the loader I've been working on, this is the first time I've EVER read or heard about gamma issues like this.

If this problem were to happen I'd look more in the direction of video card drivers or renderer settings than any code fixes, since the lack of previous discussion indicates that this is a rare issue if any issue at all relating to DX itself.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I have actually had this issue before, but that was on Linux so I supposed it was something to do with Wine.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I just disabled it so I could use the app, but Microsoft security essentials showed it as a trojan. Supposed to happen?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

False positive.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

YAY :P

I never even thought of asking here if anybody had or could make a fix. Gamma getting messed up and then having to reset the computer always bugged me.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...