For Your Consideration - DX4: Rise of the Omar (fan fiction)

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Curtis79
Mole Person

For Your Consideration - DX4: Rise of the Omar (fan fiction)

Post by Curtis79 »

(Side Note: This is a small discussion between me and dutchfalloutfan that was originally posted on GameFAQs. Since this is a dedicated Deus Ex site I thought I'd re-post it here it see what you all think. Enjoy!)

Curtis79 (me)

In all honesty, I think the Omar ending for DE:IW was the optimal way to end IW. I think it'd be an awesome game-play /storyline to capitalize on, for DE:4. Edios could use that ending explain create HOW Helios affected everybody since Alex went rouge. A whole new new religious movement could be created based upon how JC was the sacrificial lamb and Alex became the "God" element of that evolution in human history. (Hows that for blasphemy?)

Of course the Templars and the Illuminati could be the main enemies since Alex actually achieved the power those two secret societies were vying for, for the past millenia. Unfortunately, a plot device could use Paul and JC as a kind of enemy, also, as they would be resurrected by some kind of air borne pathogen. (Augs were more powerful that expected?)

I know this is far out (ain't all good sci-fi at least a bit out there?), but I'm trying to get a new thread going on this dead board. I'm a Deus fan and I'm try'n to get something going with all you other Deus fans.

--

Dutchfalloutfan

Personally I think a combination of all three or four endings could have been used, similar to how elements from Deus Ex 1 were used to set up the setting of Invisible War.
It was never used to its full potential but I did sort of like it.

The WTO/Order (Iluminatie) have established a new Golden Age (for some), running the Aquinas server through their space station Ophelia while in the shadows the Knights Templar continue their war for genetic purity.
In the meantime the United States East Coast has been sealed off to everyone with the WTO claiming that some self replicating nano plague is running amok there. (Helios new Post Human society)
To prevent it from spreading the WTO has set up nano factories that release counter nanites that destroy the infection nanites (to stop Helios from converting more people to its society).

And during this all the Omar continue to watch and quietly spread.

--

Curtis79

Awesome, dutchfalloutfan! So the WTO/Illuminati would be the "high society" still hiding in their enclaves, and the nano plague would start to infect the lower classes. This new plague would be sorta like the Gray Death, but in reverse. Instead of people dying, they would start to become superhuman. They break into the enclaves and . . . riot!

As Omar Alex -- along side Omar-ified Leo Jancowski, for co-op -- you would fight mostly against the Templars and infiltrate the WTO/Illuminati. But, of course, somebody from the Templars will try to coax you over to their side as a "secret operative" to eliminate Chairman Du-mi-a (I don't how to spell his name) and Mrs. Duclaire. But a new order of Silhouette (still lead by Du-mi-a and Duclaire) ask you to join them instead of assassinate their leaders.

Where as JC/Helios and Ophelia/Aquinas (after interfacing with each other [steamy cyber sex -- new to Deus -- ha, ha]) are observing the transformation of humanity into Omar. The new version of JC/Helios/Ophelia/Aquinas could be referred to as "The Holy Spirit" to mock to Templars. (You know: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Christians will love it!) The "Holy Spirit" will lead the lower class riots in the enclaves and establish a new religion: Omarism. Paul Denton is safe, monitoring the riots from inside Ophelia -- along side Trancer Tong.

Mean while, Luminan Suman is leading a futile Jihad, or, more aptly named, "The New Holy Crusade". Clara Sparks (the woman trainee you met at Tarsus) is contracted to work for the Templars. Of course that would lead to a confrontation with her, and a similar game altering moral decision like the Du-mi-a/Duclair assassination mission.

All this is happening while Alex and Leo are busy pimping out Omar technology to the highest bidder -- who happen to be the major warring factions -- and all of the factions (including Templars) are buying to destroy the others. Being a salesman would be a side mission. The more you sell, the more Omar upgrades you get access to -- which directly corresponds with a more diverse selection of technology to sell. Extra points for selling to the Templars.

Funny enough, NG Resonance is back -- but in the news with a shaved head like Brittany -- and she's battling drug addiction. . . . Or, actually, coffee addiction and endorsement withdrawals. Who knows, Alex might get a chance to break her out of an insane asylum -- as a tribute to the movie: Terminator 2.

--

Curtis79

Reiteration, corrected with dutchfalloutfan’s input:

The game will begin with the hidden ending -- the dance party. (Heh, heh, heh.) After the CG FMV opening, Deus Ex 4- The Rise, will start off:

JC/Helios’ mission for Omar Alex is to hack into Ophelia/Aquinas with the help of Tracer Tong. Tracer is fast becoming more and more of a techno nut in his old age. He sees the Omar as the savior of mankind -- so he agrees to help Alex bomb the WTO factories. . . . Where Stanton Dowd is living, quite literally, high on the hog as head scientist baking up the counter nanites. Dowd is hidden in Ophelia/Aquinas and is the leader over an army of Greys who know nothing of the Antarctica base. “Oh no, the space aliens are invading!” citizens will cry when the Greys enter the fray on Earth.

There should be two Alex characters to play -- the male avatar, and the female avatar. The female Alex could be an avatar Bob Page hid, and planned to use for Maggie Chow to be incorporated into the Helios system -- if his plans would’ve succeeded. (Another play on the Holy Trinity.) The WTO found the female Alex’ avatar in the rubble of Area 51, and she was raised/reprogrammed as the main opposition to Omar Alex.

Paul could be back up, with Leo. They’ll be playable characters for the online, multi-player aspect. The human player for each character will be able to choose to help Omar Alex, or what faction they want (WTO, Templars, superhumans) -- leading to war between players if they don’t want to work together. Clara Sparks could also be another playable character, as well as two different Grey leaders. One Grey leader to help Omar Alex, and one to help Dowd and WTO Alex. A couple of regular people, male/female conspiracy theorists, could be playable characters. Also, male/female soldiers for WTO, and the Templars (led by Clara), should be playable characters for the online multi-player story.

--

Dutchfalloutfan

Hello CurtisLee79,

Heh, I see you have been fiddling around with what I suggested :P

Actually, I honestly have no idea of how I would start from the setup I suggested, I am afraid that I am not that good with conspiracies like the writer of Deus Ex is, but I will give it a try ;)

Well basically my idea was the the WTO actually had pretty much done pretty well since they got to reunify the world with their new control on communication and economics, unlike the bleak cities of Deus Ex 1, and the divided old towns/cities and enclaves the WTO and the governments it sponsored had cleaned up the cities and turned them into majestic metropolises (sort of like the city in Mirror's Edge), devoid of crime and poverty or so they claim.
While the world had reclaimed some of its glory of the 20st/early 21st century, the riches and such, all the new governments had done was force people their standards, and forcing the undesirables underground.

While the world on the surface might be squeaky clean and nice it has a nasty underbelly.
Most people have an income, a house, access to the net, a vehicle but at some price.

Underground is where you would find the criminal elements, the hackers, illegal nano modification technology, the Iluminati haven't really tried to eliminate it and they seem even to control some parts of it.
But this is also where the Templars move, still bent on purifying the world, and their words appeal a lot to those who have no place in the new world order.

The society Helios has created is very strange and almost 'alien' to us normal humans, technologies such as nano technology and modification has rapidly evolved since the great merge and as a result society and even architecture seems very strange (think the structures of Krypton in the old Superman movie).
Helios of course still sees itself as the future of humanity and wants to spread out.
I sort of like the idea that the poor also come to Helios, but the WTO would probably try to eliminate such 'infestations' would they try to infiltrate the non infected world.

As for the Omar, they still keep to themselves, believing that they will inherit the world one day.

I would like to use conspiracy stuff again for a good storyline, introducing perhaps new or 'old' factions that haven't appeared in the earlier games and a new set of locations for the player to explore; for example Moscow and a space colony.

The main character?
Well how weird it may sound I thought it would perhaps be cool to play Bob Page's clone who at the beginning does not know about its original.

--

Curtis79

What up, dutchfalloutfan,

Hmm, a clone of Bob Page . . . he would defiantly add a whole new twist. I have to think about that for a minute.

As for a new faction, ever heard of the Builderburg’s? They’re supposedly the elite group of bankers who control the worlds top banks for the seven major continents. They’re about keeping the rich, rich -- and the poor, poor. Well, the Builderburg society always meet, or met, at the Builderburg hotel in Switzerland -- hence, the name of their group. (I didn’t play this DX1 when it came out, but, odd as it is, I was studying conspiracy theories at that point in time, circa 1998-2001.)

How the Biuderburgs would pertain to the game is, they would finance the WTO enclaves and the counter nanite factories. Hacking into ATMs could play a new role in this game. Maybe a Robin Hood aspect -- robbing from the rich and giving to the poor -- as not all lower class people get “affected” by the Great Merge and still have trouble affording rent, buying shoes, milk, bread. The would be the biggest side mission in the game, as you’d be able to give money to anybody. After you give somebody money, and depending on how much, that person’s house could be repainted and have shiny, spinning rims on their car. Or maybe some move into the enclave that haven’t been affected by the riots. (This side mission would be an expanded play off of giving food to the homeless kid for the code to the NSF dock located behind the soda machine on stage 2, in DX1. It’s a win-win situation!)

The Templars will recruit the Freemasons for the New Holy Crusade. In this union of secret societies, the Masons will help the Templars reenforce genetic purity with the “Holy Grail” weapon -- a kind of new Icarus.

As for a Russian connection . . . they’re still mad about the liquidation of Anna Navarra and Gunther Herman. The Builderburg mission will, somehow, tie them together. (As the old saying goes: Money makes the world go round.) A new form of UNATCO has it’s HQ in Moscow, and, of course, is funded by the Buiderburg society.

Dr. Nasif could play a role again. But this time, while touring the three Pyramids of Gaza, she discovers a link -- to augmentations, nano tech, and humanities future exploring the stars.

Bob Page, Bob Page. . . . Since he’s a clone who doesn’t know about the original, he could still believe he is the head of the Builderburg society. Bob continues on his merry way for world domination, and God-like power, as he slowly gets drawn into the allure of the Omar technology.

As a (far out) flip, the King of England and Queen Elizabeth (yeah, she’s still alive ->) turn out to be reptilian beings from Alpha Centauri, and they really don’t like the idea of Omar tech helping humans to return to the stars. Meaning they have a tie to what Dr. Layla Nasif found in the pyramids. With that, the Druids come out of the wood works and have a problem with the Freemasons and Templars. The beef there (a side mission) is a fight over who is the ‘older’ secret society. (FYI: If you don’t know, there really is a conspiracy about the Queen of England being a reptilian being from outer space.)

I’m thinking a new game-play factor could include emotions -- like fear, bravery, loyalty, turncoat, and survival instinct -- and could be incorporated like the skills and augs first were in DX1. The braver you are, the better luck you have dodging bullets and such. Survival instinct will give you a power boost if you’re about to die. Fear, of course, will make everything harder to do, and revert you into a skill-less rookie -- like how JC started off in DX1. Loyalty will let you recruit a squad for missions. Turncoat will be a mediocre combo of all the traits and build hate for the faction you betrayed.

I really like the Bob Page idea. It cares the “what if-ness” that makes Deus Ex so great.

:)
Cannabis is a medicine, not a criminal!