Mods that you've had ideas for that failed

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Morpheus
X-51

Re: Mods that you've had ideas for that failed

Post by Morpheus »

Laser emitters are actually something I understand fairly well. Creating them is kind of weird but not impossible. The difficult part would be the cleanup operations, i.e. making sure the laser emitter got removed completely.
Turns out it was done in TNM, exactly how I wanted to do it, with the mines in the game. They had a laser coming out the center of them which set them off when something passed through it.

I think also, someone already did the zoomable scope I wanted to do too, not sure if it was TNM or not (not used a scope in TNM or binoculars either), might have been some other mod.

One thing I did want to do, and tried for ages without success, was create a "spider bomb" like the ones in Deus EX: IW, you throw it, it spawns one mini spider bot but with a a blue electricty show (I forget the emitter used) like a EMP grenade exploding. When I did try working on it, I was able to get the bot to spawn, but the bot kept on spawning over and over until the game crashed. Don't have the code anymore though. I wanted the spider bot to allied to you and follow you around (or if an NPC threw the bomb, the bot to be allied to them and follow them around, so basically allied to whoever threw the bomb and follow them around until the NPC dies or the bot explodes)
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We don't have zoomable scopes in TNM, but we do have spider bombs - or rather, spider grenades, for Kylie's SMG.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

The only mod I can think of that allowed a Zoomable scope (That I don't even think was on the Sniper unfortunately :? ) was a mod called Hardcore DX: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hardcore-dx
I think it was used on the Insta-Gib weapon in the mutator gamemode of the same name. It's also the only Deus Ex mod that features multiplayer bot matches! :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

nerdenstein wrote:The only mod I can think of that allowed a Zoomable scope (That I don't even think was on the Sniper unfortunately :? ) was a mod called Hardcore DX: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hardcore-dx
I think it was used on the Insta-Gib weapon in the mutator gamemode of the same name. It's also the only Deus Ex mod that features multiplayer bot matches! :mrgreen:
Don't think it was that, never played it but unsure what it was I remember.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Here's one of my mod ideas that probably has been rendered into the "it's been done" category with DX:HR and 2027 being done, since it hits upon the same themes to the point that people would claim copying. Couple that with my relative busyness in finishing up other projects and it's probably a "fail", unless someone wants to take it up. It's what I was asking about with the "changing appearance of the main character" since it involves mech augs. I'll type up a summary since I have a few of the fine points sketched out, but not all of it:

(Setting #1 - the Police Station)
Your main character is a federal cop (think Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon without the suicidal streak, something like the FBI in the US), somewhere between rookie and retirement, in a big city. There is much more crime since today, since economic opportunity is gone compared to today. Society isn't as bad as Deus Ex, but it's much worse than today. Couple that with the respect level for societal authority (low), and the propensity for lawsuits for excessive force.

That coupling has brought a new invention into the forefront, and a change. A tranquilizer that is both safe to use and effective to subdue suspects has been invented and weaponized into a dart. So instead of regular firearms, the cops carry tranq dart guns (like in DX, or pneumatic blow-dart guns) to subdue suspects along with tasers and pepper spray. The common expectation upon arrest is to tranq the suspect and bring them into a jail in enough time so the tranq wears off while they are in jail. Special permission is required from the highest levels to use lethal force against suspects, and the cops are actively monitored through audio and video devices that they wear (think VR headset, this also produces the HUD). Any disobeyed order regarding force (if suspect is killed instead of tranqed) is punished severely and immediately with lethal force, all evidence having been recorded.

(setting #2 - the city)
Your cop is sent out to arrest two or three suspects when you observe them doing things. We also see the above things illustrated as the people well know what you are and what you have been turned into. The most interesting for this story line is a drug dealer. The atmosphere and the encounters with any of the NPCs should show a clear contrast and question between what is justified and what is allowed - like the situation is deliberately set up to foster the chaos. He is later interrogated to find out his supplier's hideout within the town. You are sent to raid it (2 or 3 small rooms big, I think of something like Castle Clinton here) with the possibility of lethal force and much temptation for it to be used, and discover that the supplier has set up in a small village in a South American country (any of them will do for the story line). You are sent there by arrangement with the federal government and eventually wind up in a helicopter destined for this village.

(setting #3 - the foreign village)
You are dropped in the village, which consists of small houses or huts, and are sent to contact someone you have been led to as an informant who is found near to the village. The village doesn't outwardly appear to house anything significant. The informant gives you a phrase in a different language (Spanish/Portugese maybe, but doesn't make sense) than English to use around the village since they are not English speakers. You don't know what it means, but you use it anyway. After a number of attempts at asking the village folk this question, they all attack your player with knives, farm implements, and so on. (yes, this is a Cassandra Project homage) After you defend yourself, you find the informant is nowhere to be found (he tricked you and is involved with the drug traders and is warning them). In searching the huts again, you find a trap door that is opened within one of them. After dealing with a more heavy assault than the first drug den (assault rifles, shotguns) involving something much bigger, you find out two things. You find in an office area several references to a "MJ12" and "Paris" (or some other big European city) as well as plans to destabilize society through introduction of drugs. You also find in the lab area, that they have been working on a new drug they have called "Zyme" and have been testing it on random kidnapped citizens.

(to be continued when I have more time to type the rest out)

It's probably not the best thing in the world and needs a few plot points shored up. But if any one does pick up on this as a mod by all means let me know :D