Mods that you've had ideas for that failed

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Morpheus
X-51

Mods that you've had ideas for that failed

Post by Morpheus »

Just wondering if anyone had their own mods, or knew of mods that "died" before they got released or wehtn anywehre?

I had a few ideas for mods that failed before they got far:

ELITE DX: A mod that was about a group that replaced UNATCO called "E.L.I.T.E" (I had a name for that, but I don't remember what that stood for) And in the mod it took place after the Morgan Everett ending and you had a mission from Morgan Everett as JC to go and destroy the Washington UNATCO building and bring down UNATCO for good, but they had formed ELITE (it replaced UNATCO) when Walton Simons was incharge and they were adamanet of bringing down the Dentons and restoring order like it used to be prior to the Dentons existing. Failed cause I was not good at editing then and I did not have a clear pla of what I wanted to do.

Star Trek: I had a Star Trek mod idea and had a lot of it thought out, but the models for the Star Trek ships were too complex to be rendered in the UED 1 engine and the mod failed.

Deus Ex Morpheus: Had a big idea here, not finished, but I might revive it one day. It was based the Tracer Tong ending, but instead of destroying Area 51, you went the Morgan Everett route, killing Bob Page and returning to Tracer Tong. Then he goes missing. Someone who has a voice identical to Bob Pages, calls up after JC Returns to Hong Kong and my idea was to have the player think, has Bob Page really been killed in Area 51, or was this just a Augmented version of himself? Also you had to figure why Tracer Tong had been kidnapped.

The Game took place a few months after JC returns to HK and you play as Alex Jacobson as he was the only one left. Paul and Tracer had been kidnapped and you had to find them, but JC was put in a machine like in DX2 and you had to go to Antartica and find him, then find and return Tracer and Paul back to safety and secure JC so he can be fully healed. (He got badly injured in Area 51 and had to be "healed") I even had ideas for a few mods after this.

Deus Ex: Prequel: I was going to make a few playbale missions and lots of cinematics showing the storylines of the background on characters like Jocks time in Area 51 and what he saw, the Dentons growing up and the founding of Majestic 12 and UNATCO etc... This only ever was an idea, never got off the ground
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
SimonDenton
NSF

Re: Mods that you've had ideas for that failed

Post by SimonDenton »

Too many to think of, but especially a cowbow mod :mrgreen:

Also the idea of a GTA version that was too ambitious as the unreal engine does not use vehicles. And just basic Deus Ex like missions which were too hard to map for me at the time of making them.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Ahem - Deus Ex: Tempus, a total conversion for Deus Ex:

http://web.archive.org/web/200108110019 ... About.html 8-[
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

SimonDenton wrote:Too many to think of, but especially a cowbow mod :mrgreen:

Also the idea of a GTA version that was too ambitious as the unreal engine does not use vehicles. And just basic Deus Ex like missions which were too hard to map for me at the time of making them.
Well, it can, just not very well. There's a mod for Unreal that adds in vehicles from UT2004, Unreal 2 etc. - they don't look that pretty and are a bit buggy, but they work. Kinda.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Well UNATCO Born had drivable vehicles, but that project kinda died, cause nothings been updated on their website for ages: http://unatcoborn.deusexgaming.com as it does say release date is 2006. Petty though, it was looking like a good mod from what I seen of it.
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Drivable helicopters and boats, in fact.

Which made me laugh when I read it, coz that's exactly as far as I'd consider taking it: boats effectively travel in two dimensions only, so it kinda works with the collision cylinder system, and helicopters travel in unrestricted three dimensions with added bonus of ASPLODE if they hit anything, which also works with the collision cylinder system.

It's fucking cars that are the problem.
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

I think it is safe to say that Fortress mod and Hive mod are both dead.

Search for their videos on youtube.

*sigh* so sat about vehicles and dead mods :cry:
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I'm surprised Jonas hasn't already mentioned the cassandra project, developed by the Narcissus entity. It was cancelled after the first chapter.

Ghost in the Machine was one I was looking forward to
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Wasn't one of the maps in Ghost in the Machine recycled for the TNM PDX Headquarters?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

that guy wrote:I'm surprised Jonas hasn't already mentioned the cassandra project, developed by the Narcissus entity. It was cancelled after the first chapter.
I didn't have anything to do with that, and I'm too self-centered to care about anything not directly related to me.
DaveW wrote:Wasn't one of the maps in Ghost in the Machine recycled for the TNM PDX Headquarters?
Yes :)

We also inherited one of their best level designers, Eric Reuter, who did PDX HQ for them and later did the NSC for us. Those two maps actually have a lot of architectural touches in common.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Ah I thought it looked familiar.
There are old screenshots here by the way - http://gitm.planetdeusex.gamespy.com/screenshots.html
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I'm surprised Jonas hasn't already mentioned the cassandra project, developed by the Narcissus entity. It was cancelled after the first chapter.
Yeah, I remember that, I actually liked that game, petty it was never finished.
Ghost in the Machine was one I was looking forward to
Me too, was that the mod that you could change your clothes on and you were allowed or restricted access to areas based on what you wore?
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

That rings a bell. From what I remember there were
- various factions
- some sort of clothing/disguise section
- drivable vehicles
- futuristic elves, dwarves and magic

of course I have no idea how much of it was ever implemented
DDL

Post by DDL »

that guy wrote: - futuristic elves, dwarves and magic
*GNNNNNNN*

Somehow DX-Shadowrun just sounds a hell of a lot less awesome than one would think.

"My vision is augmented"

"Arr, well I be possessin' nightvision, coz I be a dwarrrrf. So tharr."

*shudders*

I do seem to recall they got real-time shadows working for the player character, though. Which is impressive.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

As I recall, they grabbed the code from the playerclass from Rune :P
Jonas Wæver