Mods that you've had ideas for that failed

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Mods that you've had ideas for that failed

Post by Jonas »

You don't have to do anything with invisible weapons or anything, DX supports natural weapons just fine, like the greasel spit or karkian bite. But the problem is they wouldn't shamble properly. You'd have to make them fast zombies, and that's a lot less awesome.

Also their attack animations would look massively exaggerated not very zombie-like.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:I believe you're talking about The Reborn. They gave up because it was too much work, I think.
Pretty sure they tried to migrate to the HL2 engine and then just went dead.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Zombies are always a good enemy class.
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

DDL wrote:Right, well your average boat will never, for example, be powering up a hill, because water plain doesn't work that way.

So for all intents and purposes, a boat can be considered to only move in 2 dimensions, X and Y. Moving in these two dimensions in the unreal engine is piss-easy: pushing a crate is an example of doing just that. Easy easy peasy. Now, can you push a crate up a slope? Hell no.

Vertical movement is tricky, and more importantly, constrained vertical movement is tricky. CONVINCING vertical movement is really, really hard, and not really workable in the unreal build DX is based on: pushing a crate up a hill, or indeed (more relevantly) driving a car up a hill really requires the object to tilt to match the hill, which not only completely fucks the collision illusion (which forces you to use a vertical cylinder, always, at all times), but would require at the very least four continual downward traces (i.e. from each corner) to get the height of the ground and rearrange the car over the surface accordingly. And then when you get, say, to the crest of a sharp hill, what then? You'd need extra traces down from internal elements of the base of the object to get the actual top of the hill or the car would simply trace all down the sides of the hill and not find the top, meaning your car would appear to pass through the crest of the hell.

And so on.

Within the bounds of an entirely Z-axis constrained environment, drivable cars would be..well, basically drivable boats on land, but outside of that rather artificial constraint? Fuck, I wouldn't touch that coding without eight beers inside me.
Yeah, it would only be worth it if the surfaces were all flat. Which they all were in my map :D
TheUnbeholden
NSF

Post by TheUnbeholden »

Morpheus wrote:Just wondering if anyone had their own mods, or knew of mods that "died" before they got released or wehtn anywehre?

I had a few ideas for mods that failed before they got far:

ELITE DX: A mod that was about a group that replaced UNATCO called "E.L.I.T.E" (I had a name for that, but I don't remember what that stood for)
Enormously
Lucky
Infiltration
Team
of E-penis's

(seriously)
Efficient
Leading
Infiltration
Team
of Experts
"Blood is a Passion"
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

TheUnbeholden wrote:
Morpheus wrote:Just wondering if anyone had their own mods, or knew of mods that "died" before they got released or wehtn anywehre?

I had a few ideas for mods that failed before they got far:

ELITE DX: A mod that was about a group that replaced UNATCO called "E.L.I.T.E" (I had a name for that, but I don't remember what that stood for)
(seriously)
Efficient
Leading
Infiltration
Team
of Experts
100% diagnosis doc! (Not really, close now I remember bits):

Elite
L
I
Team of
Experts

The LI I can't remember though
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Morpheus wrote: Elite
L
I
Team of
Experts

The LI I can't remember though
I like the idea that they came up with the LITE first and said:
"Lite? Our name is LITE? What the hell kind of a name is LITE?"
"Well if we added an E it would be ELITE."
"That's better, but what would we use for the E?"
*Much thinking, no results*
"Well, we could always just add the word 'Elite'."
[FGS]Shadowrunner
Thug

Post by [FGS]Shadowrunner »

I wanted to make a freaky circus. Each circus act using a different aug system.

Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you, "Cirque du morte"

The Human Cannonball
Karkian Trainer
Clowns
Ringmaster
Knife Thrower
Acrobat
Pretty ladies with popcorn

You could be audience or performer. Players could vote on best/funniest act, or it could be combat or objective-based.

etc

an MP game.
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

My Aliens vs Denton mod
It was abouth a synthetic human sent to a terraforming colony to regain control and repair stuff without the risk of infection so the company (Wayland Yutany) can stablish a research facility to study the alien lifeform in that planet.

I made the alien, pulse rifle, Smarth gun and a bery accurate map of the colony seen in the movie Aliens. The problem was that the mod sucked. It will require more coding for the NPC AI than just adding some models and textures.
I was about to ask for help and anounce the project in moddb but i got scared.
The bigest problem was the copyright thing, i've hear that people at Fox brings down any Alien bassed mod that they found and send intimidating emails to the teams.

Right now, i'm working on simpler mods.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Morpheus wrote:Well UNATCO Born had drivable vehicles, but that project kinda died, cause nothings been updated on their website for ages: http://unatcoborn.deusexgaming.com as it does say release date is 2006. Petty though, it was looking like a good mod from what I seen of it.
UB is definitively dead unfortunately. Fender2k1 and Fastgamerr had worked on it on and off for years (even into 2010 I think) but never really finished it. Fgr is working on a solo (DX) project now (DX: Nihilum I think its called). Blueneptune's flyable helicopter was pretty cool, but alas, never got used.

I've worked on a bunch of different mods that never finished. One mod I worked on which had some promise (Skyward Fires) died ages ago but then so did the mod's designer (or so I've heard).

There was also my DX: Reborn mod/port that never quite reached the finish line. Although it might be resurrected in the future if the code is portable to UDK.
A hole is a hole.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

What about the Discolsure Project by Face? It it still being worked on or has it died? I know it was very long time between his updates, too him forever to update the broken demo download link on the website but there never seems to be much progress or updated info on it, was kinda liking it a long time ago.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I know Face has continued work on his other Deus Ex related projects, (Mainly Multiplayer I believe) but I'm not sure about Disclosure. I'll ask him next time he's online in the DXMP Forums.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Massaca
NSF

Post by Massaca »

I wanted to remake Wolfenstein 3D but the SDK broke itself and I could never get it going again (not that I could use it anyway :roll: )

Also had a huge desire to have an invincible pet cat that you can name which follows you throughout the entire game and can defend itself but will never run off or go into that panic mode thing. It was going to be awesome, I'd have a friend to talk to whilst exploring beautiful French chateaus, when wandering around the streets of Hong Kong and while infiltrating/escaping clandestine facilities run by non-existent organisations!

But then I realised that my cat wouldn't really be able to climb ladders, leap across gaps between buildings or swim thus killing off any hope of having a lovely pet cat :cry: (at least I assume it's impossible, I'd love to be wrong)
In a world without rules, danmaku is nonsense. ~ Marisa Kirisame
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

Massaca wrote: Also had a huge desire to have an invincible pet cat that you can name which follows you throughout the entire game and can defend itself but will never run off or go into that panic mode thing. It was going to be awesome, I'd have a friend to talk to whilst exploring beautiful French chateaus, when wandering around the streets of Hong Kong and while infiltrating/escaping clandestine facilities run by non-existent organisations!

But then I realised that my cat wouldn't really be able to climb ladders, leap across gaps between buildings or swim thus killing off any hope of having a lovely pet cat :cry: (at least I assume it's impossible, I'd love to be wrong)
I want this mod... =D>
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Well, considering how this topic is apparently still "semi-active", there's this particular topic I created a while back that dealt with finding a feasible way to expand the inventory to a 6x6 grid.
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0