SDK + Vista = fail?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Dark Reality
UNATCO

SDK + Vista = fail?

Post by Dark Reality »

I'm finding that the SDK does not like Vista. My own DX page has downloads of the OCX files needed to run the game on "certain configurations" (someone else was telling me the files they needed to get it to work on theirs), so I installed that, and I needed a DLL, what looks like the VB runtimes. Got that too and it still doesn't run. It says the .OCX files aren't registered. They're placed in both System and System32, as is the VB runtime DLL.

If you can make the SDK work in Vista, what else needs to be done?

I'm not opposed to going back to XP but I'd like to stick with and learn Vista if possible. But I've accepted a position with the Deus Ex: Revision team, so I'm going to need to use that SDK one way or the other.
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.
EER
Illuminati

Re: SDK + Vista = fail?

Post by EER »

OCX files may be in System32, but you'll need to register them too for them to be registered (if that makes any sense).

Registering is done by start > run > regsvr32 <filename-to-register>
For example: regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Re: SDK + Vista = fail?

Post by Dark Reality »

Tried it, and it returned an error 0x8002801c. Google'd that, seems I had to do it from a command prompt ran as administrator. Vista seemed to like that better.

I go to start UnrealEd - I'm missing another file - COMDLG32.OCX. So I download that, copy it to my Windows\System32 directory, and register it like I did the others.

Tried to start UnrealEd and this time it worked. Thanks!

(now if I can get Pidgin to connect to MSN so I don't have to install adware... but that's another topic)
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.