Our next project

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Our next project

Post by Jonas »

We're going to start posting some development notes on the OTP blog when we're ready. Right now it's mostly a summary of TNM PR stuffs, but once we get going, it'll be turned into more of a development blog, and we'll try to get everybody set up to post so it's not just me.

I'd like to issue a warning already now though: Don't expect another TNM out of us yet. We can't commit to another 5-8 year project, so we're lowering our ambitions significantly. Our next project will not be an FPS/RPG hybrid, because those are too damn resource-demanding for us right now. Our aims for the moment are to dial down the technology a little so we can focus on the same sort of plot detail that we experimented with in TNM.

We're still in pre-production, working on design documentation and preparing to put a tech demo and a gameplay prototype together. You probably shouldn't expect a proper announcement for several months, but we may start posting teasers soonish.

Speaking of which, what sort of updates would you like to see? Would you be interested in highly technical stuff, for example, or would you prefer that we stick to pictures and PR?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jane_Denton
X-51

Re: Our next project

Post by Jane_Denton »

Jonas wrote:You probably shouldn't expect a proper announcement for several months, but we may start posting teasers soonish.
I bit once on that subject already... 8-[ and you just teased me... :( So I'm just gonna sit in my chair quietly and twiddle my thumbs, maybe roll my eyes, occasionally stare at the wall then the ceiling and then maybe out the window (ooo a bird oh my mistake a leaf)... and so I'll take peeks at the blog from time to time to see what is happening... secretly, anonymously lurking and tracking the "new next project" progress... at times biting my lip and fighting the urge to make a comment or ask a question... dare I open myself to ridicule just to satisfy my curiosity on this new project!?! NO.. NO I SAY! I WON'T DO IT! :-^
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I trust in my ability to recognize that which I don't get and that which I do as well as that which I'm interested in and that which I'm not. I think most people can trust in theirs as well. What is a little bit more iffy is your ability to tell what we'll be interested in and understand.

I would say that you should write up whatever you can be bothered to write up, and let each of us sort out what we're interested in for ourselves.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

I would defiantly be interested in technical aspects seeing as a lot of us where all pushing for our favorite game engine to be used in your next project. I pushed for blender others pushed for ID tech and for all we know you guys might be using Unreal 3.

So yeah that's the first question I have.

Edit: If you do use Unreal I thought this link was interesting: http://liquidrockgames.blogspot.com/200 ... ew-le.html
It a resource for how to get money.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We're using our own engine, by which I mean we're using an engine created by Jim. No secret there :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

How about something Cowboy themed? The only Cowboy game there is was Outlaws, but that is too old for my viewing.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Jonas wrote:We're using our own engine, by which I mean we're using an engine created by Jim. No secret there :)
Yes, I remember that engine I even installed the tech demo. In the gallery section of the site it has a a photo of 3d text saying "Trestkon is EVIL". Only problem with that engine was that the HDR reacted poorly with the floor.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That's a pretty old tech demo.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Xesum wrote:How about something Cowboy themed? The only Cowboy game there is was Outlaws, but that is too old for my viewing.
Rockstar's working on some Western game using the same engine as GTA 4. For what it's worth...

To answer your first question in this topic Jonas, at this point I'd just like a teaser, so I guess pics and PR. I'll understand if a lot of it has to be kept under wraps, but a few pics to salivate over and a brief description of what the game will be about to keep me interested would be the most effective promotion IMHO.
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

DXNathan wrote:
Xesum wrote:How about something Cowboy themed? The only Cowboy game there is was Outlaws, but that is too old for my viewing.
Rockstar's working on some Western game using the same engine as GTA 4. For what it's worth...
Such a shame that the PC version will come out years after the Console version, only to be utter shit.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I'm all for technical stuff.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

GUN. Free-roaming Western shooter fun. Although I never got far in it, but it seemed fairly cool.

As far as updates a nice mix of PR buzz and technical stuff seems to work. I forget the name of it but some free-roaming space MMO survives well on just technical updates.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Xesum wrote:The only Cowboy game there is was Outlaws
You mean aside from Red Dead Revolver, GUN, Call of Juarez, Dead Man's Hand, and Desperados? ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jonas wrote:
Xesum wrote:The only Cowboy game there is was Outlaws
You mean aside from Red Dead Revolver, GUN, Call of Juarez, Dead Man's Hand, and Desperados? ;)
Sorry let me rephrase that:

The only GOOD Cowboy game there is was Outlaws.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You haven't even played any of these games, have you?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine