Any suggestions to help my friend out?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

SlySpy
UNATCO

Any suggestions to help my friend out?

Post by SlySpy »

CY83R: I can't play Deus Ex now, anyway
SlySpy: why is that?
CY83R: Well, when you first gave it to me, my graphics card was a 5200
CY83R: But I upgraded to a 9400
SlySpy: and?
CY83R: And because of this, some of the textures in the cinematics are screwed up and the messages are all blurry
Anything suggestions on how to fix this problem my friend is having?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: Any suggestions to help my friend out?

Post by justanotherfan »

Me, not really. I don't like ATI's drivers, so I haven't used their cards since the ATI Rage 128 16mb. edit: Google seems confused on what a "9400" would be for a graphics card. Nvidia has the GeForce 9400.

Hopefully he's tried the enhanced OpenGL renderer. Maybe new graphics drivers. Maybe reinstall newest Direct X. Graphical corruption is odd, and I haven't seen it in Deus Ex.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Why only the textures in the cinematics? Cinematics are EXACTLY the same as all other levels, with the sole difference that JC is turned into a magical invisible flying camera.

Sounds highly suspect. I've been through four or five machines of various GPU-power in my DX playing lifetime, and never had anything like this sort of thing happen.

They haven't installed ENBseries and set OMG BLOOOOOOOM to max, have they? :P
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

I have figured out the problem. I asked him what resolution he set the game for, and he told me 1400 by 1500. I told him to lower it, so everything is all good now.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

SlySpy wrote:I have figured out the problem. I asked him what resolution he set the game for, and he told me 1400 by 1500. I told him to lower it, so everything is all good now.
Pah!

1920 by 1200 is perfectly fine for me.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

Thank you for your insightful contribution to the topic...
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

What screen is he running on? I have never seen one that is taller than it is wide...
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Wait, 1400 by 1500? Is that even possible?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yep, possible. There were monitors like that a long time ago, more for desktop publishing since they could represent an A4 sheet of paper. There was one for the early Macintosh by Radius-
Image Image

Also, the Xerox Alto-

I'm pretty sure there's still monitors that can be rotated, and will sense that and change resolution to fit the new aspect ratio. Still, most likely it was a typo.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

What the hell is that input device attached to the Alto, below the keyboard to the left of the mouse?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jonas wrote:What the hell is that input device attached to the Alto, below the keyboard to the left of the mouse?
It's the peddles of a piano.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

justanotherfan wrote:Yep, possible. There were monitors like that a long time ago, more for desktop publishing since they could represent an A4 sheet of paper. There was one for the early Macintosh by Radius-
Nice pic trip down memory lane! =D>
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

But still that is a display meant to mirror a piece of paper. This display is being used to display an image 7% away from being square.

My laptop display flips, but it goes between 4:3 and 3:4. This thing is 14:15. Anyone know of any reason such a strange resolution could be useful?
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I owned something by Radius. I think it was an accelerator or expansion for a Mac SE or Plus. Most probably it was something SCSI though. Probably still have whatever it was.

I'm told that actually is a five chord keyset. It's like a stenotype, also useful for disabled people. Clearly the first ball mouse next to it became popular, but the chorded keyboard didn't. But yeah, imagine a mouse that had chord buttons on it, and imagine holding one in each hand. You could potentially type 300wpm or up to 375wpm by learning chording. Separate buttons for each letter is so passe.