I made a mistake

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

nekdo
Thug

Re: I made a mistake

Post by nekdo »

In Hungary we have number 1 to 5 where 5 is the best
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

The Numbers are telling me things.

The Writing on the wall is scratching the walls.

Simple Minds only released one good song.

Manchester City are shit.

What am I told you said?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
PleegWat
NSF

Post by PleegWat »

Jonas wrote:Numbers.
What numbers? I know Germans use 7 to 1, 1 being best. French use 1 to 20, 20 being best. Dutch use 1 to 10, 10 being best. What do Danes use?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:In Sweden we use acronyms. We used to have numbers, but for some reason we swapped.
Funny, we used to have acronyms, then we switched to numbers. Then we switched to different numbers. Maybe we traded systems?
PleegWat wrote:What numbers? I know Germans use 7 to 1, 1 being best. French use 1 to 20, 20 being best. Dutch use 1 to 10, 10 being best. What do Danes use?
Your feeble mind could not possibly fathom our system.

Because our system is startlingly illogical.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I fail to see the point in an exam. They just get everyone really really worried and tense about a 26 page long booklet that has some badly written questions in, only to end up getting a letter/number in return.

I think that if the teacher measured the student's progress throught the school years of that subject, then they should give them a level from that, then you're technically under examination for the time you are in that lesson, but it's more subtle, so then everyone doesn't get as so worried. And the grade may be more accurate because the teacher actually knows what the student can do.

Also, while I'm typing this, the Google Chrome window which I'm using to run facebook because it's faster has decided to reload facebook about 10 times a second.

Denial of Service attack here I come!
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Xesum wrote:I fail to see the point in an exam. They just get everyone really really worried and tense about a 26 page long booklet that has some badly written questions in, only to end up getting a letter/number in return.
Exams are excellent practice for job interviews - basically the same situation. If you do well at oral exams, you'll probably do pretty well in job interviews.
I think that if the teacher measured the student's progress throught the school years of that subject, then they should give them a level from that, then you're technically under examination for the time you are in that lesson, but it's more subtle, so then everyone doesn't get as so worried. And the grade may be more accurate because the teacher actually knows what the student can do.
Well no. Because a teacher has 30 or more students in a class, and there's not enough time to test all of them properly. In Denmark we have two grades: one for your activity in class and one for your exam. Some people do better in class, others do better at exams. The grades are all added up and averaged at the end, and that's your basis for getting into university.

I fucking hate exams, especially oral exams because they do indeed make me really bloody nervous, but I tend to do really well in them, so it's hard to complain.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Xesum wrote:I think that if the teacher measured the student's progress throught the school years of that subject
Problem is, you don't want to measure their progress, you want to measure their proficiency. And it isn't possible to assess everyone from what they do in class, you need some sort of exam(s), be it through a test, a hand-in-assignment or similar.
Xesum wrote:And the grade may be more accurate because the teacher actually knows what the student can do.
If tests doesn't let your teachers to this, it's because the test is flawed, not the methodology.
Pre-post edit:
Jonas wrote:In Denmark we have two grades: one for your activity in class and one for your exam.
That actually sounds pretty bloody good, although the teachers must find it annoying having to grade everyone twice :)

Oh and if it isn't clear/usual; here in Sweden most subjects consist of several exams, and the average (usually rounded a good deal up if you do well during lessons) is what counts.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I used to like exams but was only average as a student. In my final year about 60 percent of Queensland students had the same score as me. It was numbers then, 7 being the highest. Hell knows what system they're perpetrating on schoolies these days.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:That actually sounds pretty bloody good, although the teachers must find it annoying having to grade everyone twice :)
Actually they have to grade people a lot more than twice because you're graded (on your class performance as well as whatever assignments you turn in during the semester) three times per year - it's only the last grade that counts though, plus your exam results. And yes, if my dad is any indication, teachers agonise quite a lot over the grades. The mid-term grades can be pretty useful though, both to teachers and students. Dropping a student's grade in the middle of a semester is a pretty clear way to say "get your act together".

And yeah I like the system. But my grades were awesome in high school, so I'd probably be fine either way.

It's different in university of course. Nobody gives a shit how much or how little you do in class in university, if you turn in the compulsory assignments and show up at the exam, it's all the same to the teachers. If that's your thing, you can basically skip classes all semester and just read up on the curriculum a couple of weeks before the exam. Well, depending on what you're studying of course - I did Media Studies, my current Game Design and Analysis degree is a bit more involved, and I imagine if you're studying medicine, you're pretty much screwed if you don't show up in class :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I'm probably the only person in my school that can do Oral Exams without getting nervous. I just read the notes on the piece of paper and I just say stuff and just concetrate on that. Then at the End I'm wondering why my Oral Coursework for English gets marked A*.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

With marks like that, one might expect you to be capable of contributing something useful to the discourse around here.

And yet... ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I would copy and paste my 7 Page Essay about An Inspector Calls onto here, but that would probably break FireFox when I try to submit it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I said something useful, I didn't say 7 page essay >:D
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'm not really an inspector. The murdered girl who's photo I have is alive. You're all guilty of something. *job done*
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Phone Rings

Girl is dead at the Infirmary, an inspector is on his way.

DRAMATIC ENDING.