Is it wrong to hack a secure wireless network...

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

Is it wrong to hack a secure wireless network...

Post by Jaedar »

if the password is utterly retarded. See I'm in a summerhouse type thing, and there's this baker who has a network nearby and see, its called "bagaren"(ie the baker). I guessed his password in 2 tries, first I tried "bagaren", but then it said the password was a String of either of 5 or 13 chars. I guessed "bagar" and got in. Obviously, someone with such an easily hacked password deserves some sort of punishment, but is there a better way than to just abuse the free internet access I've been given?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Re: Is it wrong to hack a secure wireless network...

Post by Xesum »

Stop! You violated the law! Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence, your stolen goods are now forfeit.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I know very little about what it's possible to do once you gain access to somebody else's network (other than just using the connection, which won't really teach them anything because they'll almost certainly never notice if they have a password like that), but if you can find a way to leave him a note or something if you catch him online at the same time as you, that would be both amusing and a good way to teach him a little lesson about electronic security. I'm sure there must be tutorials about that sort of stuff out there on the big wide Internet.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:I know very little about what it's possible to do once you gain access to somebody else's network (other than just using the connection, which won't really teach them anything because they'll almost certainly never notice if they have a password like that), but if you can find a way to leave him a note or something if you catch him online at the same time as you, that would be both amusing and a good way to teach him a little lesson about electronic security. I'm sure there must be tutorials about that sort of stuff out there on the big wide Internet.
I could probably access his router and mess up all his settings(like locking the allowed MAC adresses to only encompass my computer). I'll maybe find a way to leave a note when I'm leaving :) I'm really not an IT wizard, so I don't want to do anything to complicated.

Edit: also, it may be more secure than I thought, It's either because its far away, or he has already IP-locked it, but I can't access internet with it. Probably becase of the connection.
odio ergo sum
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

Xesum wrote: Stop! You violated the law! Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence, your stolen goods are now forfeit.
Epic :lol:
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Why not leave him a link to some encryption programs? I kinda sympathise with the guy because seven years ago I wasn't any more knowledgeable.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I think this was a false alarm. Turns out I didn't actually have proper access, it just didn't give me an error message when I entered the wrong pw, it just let me connect but not access the router or the internet. I'll probably try to guess the pass again though... how many 5/13 letter words can there really be? :mrgreen:
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jaedar wrote:I think this was a false alarm. Turns out I didn't actually have proper access, it just didn't give me an error message when I entered the wrong pw, it just let me connect but not access the router or the internet. I'll probably try to guess the pass again though... how many 5/13 letter words can there really be? :mrgreen:
My name is Legion, for we are many.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Only if you get caught... :P cause waiting in a waiting room is boring as hell and a person needs to be entertained! Plus it should be standard to have free wireless in waiting rooms etc... :giggle:
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

This is xerxes, the vending machines on all decks are to not be tampered with.. DEEDELLERRrrr..
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

A dude I know changes the name of the network to stuff like "assburgers" when he finds unsecured connections.
My name is not Jeff.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Here's a handy site for figuring out how long it would take you're computer to crack the password: http://lastbit.com/pswcalc.asp

I did a run on 13 chars with numbers, upper and lower case letters at 500,000 passwords a secound. "Brute Force Attack will take up to 12861917392 years"
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jane_Denton wrote:Only if you get caught... :P cause waiting in a waiting room is boring as hell and a person needs to be entertained! Plus it should be standard to have free wireless in waiting rooms etc... :giggle:
Heh, I was up at the hospital visiting my mum, and on the way to her ward I came across a sign on a wall that said "wireless zone". I thought using laptops and mobiles in hospitals was frowned upon, or is the designated area far enough away from sensitive equipment?
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

That's where they put the heart patients they don't like.
My name is not Jeff.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

If you have full router access, change the settings to disable logging, and don't enter your MAC address anywhere.

"Teaching a security lesson" can be done, but it can be nasty to teach some grandmother about the latest WEP2 hack and firmware updates by effectively disabling their router or stealing passwords. Leaving a note somewhere when you're done with the connection could be a good idea if they get charged by bandwidth usage, or if the admin password puts them at risk from others. Otherwise, a status quo of free internet is probably fine. If someone values the security of something so little to have a password like "password", it's nearly an invitation to use the connection.

Dead-Eye's link really shows the need for reasonable limits on password attempts and retry durations. When trying to break a key locally, like captured data from WEP, it shows the need for long complex passwords.

Only use networks you're allowed to use; internet is plentiful, or enjoy some summertime without it.