What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AEmer
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by AEmer »

System Shock 2 certainly did ok with that concept...but then, for much of the game, you're running around the same areas and can easily make munitions caches if you need, and you can only unlock a limited number of weapons due to the RPG system...and ammunition is pretty sparse, so you never really have that much.

I recall only having about 250 rounds by the very end, comprising anything from grenades to anti-personnel bullets...and only because I had really saved up and hacked vending machines and what not. I was quite low when I beat the 2nd to last boss, needing to switch to the grenade launcher for the last stretch.

It was perfectly balanced for my playthrough, but in the end, a game that keeps rolling forward, with many different locations, is very different from a game that essentially takes place in the same hub for most of the game.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Ammo in ss2 stacks infinitely. In HR, you can barely fit two clips in one stack and some of the ammo types takes a lot of space.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Another great point; In System Shock, the only choice is whether to bring all kinds of ammo to your weapons, never whether extra ammunition would be useful or not and if it's worth the tradeoff.

But I do think a more hub-oriented world would've made the system fine...as it is, it's prohibitive, and if it was intended to be, then that was a mistake.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Saints Row 2 players, some help please. I'm on Windows 7 and have that game running too fast glitch. I downloaded the Tools thing and the Stopwatch thing. I can't get the Stopwatch thing working, and I'm wondering if I could estimate a change in the Tools ini? I've got Core duo 2 2ghrz and I'm wondering If I change the Tools ini to make the game run at 77-78 per cent if that'd get it close to the optimal 3.23 ghrz without too much hassle?

I fixed the rabid rapid menu with the dinput8dll trick.

Nevermind, the game can go fuck itself. I don't mind console ports when you can at least use the inventory menu.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Bobby keep at it with Saints Row 2, it's probably one of the worst ports in the history of gaming but it's a great game aside the problems.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Phasmatis wrote:Bobby keep at it with Saints Row 2, it's probably one of the worst ports in the history of gaming but it's a great game aside the problems.
Okay, cheers Phasmatis. There are some clever people about who come up with solutions, I'll have a search and try again after I find the dummy I spat. :)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

bobby 55 wrote:Saints Row 2 players, some help please. I'm on Windows 7 and have that game running too fast glitch. I downloaded the Tools thing and the Stopwatch thing. I can't get the Stopwatch thing working, and I'm wondering if I could estimate a change in the Tools ini? I've got Core duo 2 2ghrz and I'm wondering If I change the Tools ini to make the game run at 77-78 per cent if that'd get it close to the optimal 3.23 ghrz without too much hassle?

I fixed the rabid rapid menu with the dinput8dll trick.

Nevermind, the game can go fuck itself. I don't mind console ports when you can at least use the inventory menu.
You could try OC'ing to 3.2Ghz, that's what I did :v
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I ended up installing the Gentlemen of the Row mod as it supposedly fixes some bugs as well as adding content. The radial menu problem went away after installing it.
I've actually managed to get to the first auto-save point. \o/
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Oh yes, I was going to mention Gentlemen of the row. I think they also altered the handling of the cars, they become mostly drivable.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Phasmatis wrote:Oh yes, I was going to mention Gentlemen of the row. I think they also altered the handling of the cars, they become mostly drivable.
I'm only going on my brief drive during the jailbreak, but I think you're correct. It was no worse than other games. I like how law enforcement can drag you out of the vehicle. :P
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Doubled again, apologies...again.

While I've been on my Sunday morning gaming roundup, I noticed the Crossfire 1.9 mod for Freelancer. It's said to be the unofficial sequel. I might DL it and report back sometime through the week.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The defense assignments in SpaceChem are bloody preposterous. I just saved a planet from getting wiped out by charging a particle accelerator with uranium and hydrogen peroxide so it could shoot a giant floating pyramid in its giant electricity-shooting eye. I love it =D>
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:The defense assignments in SpaceChem are bloody preposterous. I just saved a planet from getting wiped out by charging a particle accelerator with uranium and hydrogen peroxide so it could shoot a giant floating pyramid in its giant electricity-shooting eye. I love it =D>
Hahaha! That certainly beats the generic death-ray approach. :P

I seem to have several games going simultaneously. It's a bit hit and miss at which game I'm in the mood to play lately.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

I just got my account back on my computer yesterday. Played a lot of Red Orchestra 2, and I loved it instantly. I also have a sudden urge to go back to Human Revolution for a second playthrough.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I've played a little of the Crossfire 1.9 mod for Freelancer I'm only at level 5. I went with the story option and not open single play. It's a bit too soon to give anything definitive, however, one improvement is the option to turn down the bloom effect. The scripted battles (ones during story missions) are relatively easy, but the side quests, and fights after lane jump disruption, are more difficult due to the bad guys having shield regen. Anyhow, I'll update again after a whole lot more exploration.