UT III-demo is out!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

For some reason the game won't even start up for me. Gets to the gamespy screen and just crahses :P teh lame! (plus Gamespy sux0rz!)

It's pretty pathetic that they didn't even change the intro music.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:It's pretty pathetic that they didn't even change the intro music.
I thought it was cool for nostalgic reasons :D
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:It's pretty pathetic that they didn't even change the intro music.
What the hell are you talking about, the UT theme is the one constant through out all UT games!

I like the new UT III demo, even if the colors are a muted. Turning down the DoF and the brightness up helped a bit. I'm also surprised that it's playable at < 30 FPS; at 1024x768 I'm getting ~25 FPS.

Also: Impact Hammer <3
Vavrek
UNATCO

Post by Vavrek »

Thank you, [Original Thread Poster], for informing me of this wondrous opportunity. Indeed, not only was I able to locate [Recommended Game], but I discovered a single-player demo' of TimeShift. Hip hip, huzzah.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

The graphics on Timeshift a little too busy imo, I found it very hard to see where I was going. Of course it maybe the graphical settings I used, might have to give it another go.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:For some reason the game won't even start up for me. Gets to the gamespy screen and just crahses :P teh lame! (plus Gamespy sux0rz!)

Won't work for me either! :(
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

You might want to search the UT3 forums, http://utforums.epicgames.com/forumdisp ... order=desc I expect there are some fixes for the troubles you're having.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Okay I have more than enough logs on the Kernel32.dll crash, thanks guys. We're looking into it. Can you try this potential workaround:

If you are an administrator, Open: Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Config\UTEngine.ini
Otherwise open: My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Config\UTEngine.ini

Change the line
bInitializeShadersOnDemand=False
to
bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True

Edit:*RESTART BEFORE TRYING TO RUN THE DEMO AGAIN*

Does it still crash?
That was posted by an Epic rep so it might help.

Here's the thread I got that info from.
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=578480
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:For some reason the game won't even start up for me. Gets to the gamespy screen and just crahses :P teh lame! (plus Gamespy sux0rz!)

As I said to someone on TTLG (and got temp banned for it) - get a real computer.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Dave, you hardware-fascist, not everybody has endless disposable funds to spend on game-related computer upgrades!

*BANNED!*
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I hate it when people say that. >_>; Honestly.
I also hate that PC game makers tend to push for higher and higher minimum requirements. There's a reason that Counterstrike is the most played online FPS in existence, and it's not that it's a fun, awesome game that everyone loves. System requirements that support anything from DX6 and up makes your available customers a very large group. Even for Valve's recent games; while games like Bioshock and Jericho are coming out and requiring SM3, Source games still support SM1.1 and up, and the older games still down to DX6 hardware. The only category where Source is remotely "modern" in its requirements is needing 512 MB of RAM minimum.

And for having such low requirements, the game doesn't suffer at all visually.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

What the hell are you talking about, the UT theme is the one constant through out all UT games!
Actually UT2004's was a significant improvement over UT1, I don't know why they went back to the UT1 instruments because the UT2004's sounded more cooler. aw well.

And snipa, my Mac is running Hellgate london on full and hitting over 40FPS so trust me, it plays games perfectly fine. (also it'll run better come the 26th when Leopard comes out. Bout time we got a real Bootcamp)
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Portal needs DX8 or higher to function properly btw.

That said, it runs quite well on my laptop with intel graphics (teh suck). Unreal 3 runs very well with settings on low on my parent's machine with an X300 (less teh suck, but still el cheapo). So really, I think the games run on a wide range of mediocre systems.

The problem is what the consumers expect, I've worked in a local computer store before I started my current job. When asking customers what kind of graphics card they wanted they nearly always said:
"Yeah, just the cheapest I guess, it's only for the kids, they don't do anything but play videogames."

I don't think the requirements are THAT high, sure Bioshock is annoyingly high, but you would know it in advance. If you play games on your PC, you need to upgrade every two years, OR accept the fact that you can't play all games with all settings on high. Also, if you buy the cheapest card, you'll have to upgrade more often.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

EER wrote:"Yeah, just the cheapest I guess, it's only for the kids, they don't do anything but play videogames."
Wow, what an astounding affront to conventional wisdom.

Keeping a PC up-to-date is an expensive hobby, but considering how many games I buy, I can't help but wonder if I've already earned it back in the money I save on the games. Seeing how console games are meant to make up for the low-priced high-end consoles with their ridicular prices.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Phas that fix doesn't work. Nice try though.