UT III-demo is out!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Smike
Platypus

Post by Smike »

Trestkon! You always have to be the better man, don't you? It's not fair! Can't I be the better man for ONCE in my LIFE? I'm condemned to being evil all the time. It's just not fair, I tell you. That along with my unruly chest hair, and it's a sad, sad existence. :-({|=

Damned Canadians with their unfashionable pants always showing off...
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
My main problem with Mac is that you can't really customize them very well in terms of hardware and you certainly can't build your own.
*points to MacPro*
*points at the $5000 price tag*

My Imac is fine for what it is anyway. Photoshop won't need any more than what I presently have on my Imac anyway. Meanwhile I'm setting my PC up to be a file server to keep all those huge 1.2GB PSD files on. (Yes cause they get just that big! :D)

And also if you don't like the Mightymouse use your PC's mouse on the mac then.. It supports Logitec and Microsoft you know :P I have my MX1000 hooked up to it, it's a dream to use lol :D
Fuck that shit. My $250 PC can run Photoshop just fine. $5000?! Apple can go die in a fire.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I just ordered some new stuff for mine so I can use Photoshop better. At the moment it's slowing down working on 2048X2048 files so I've just ordered 4GB DDR2 for it. Plus a 500gb SATA2 HDD for the hell of it, because I'm running out of space on my 160gb backup drive. Then early next year I'll be getting a new CPU, graphics card and stuff.

I love having a PC.

Also Mac Pro's in the Uk start from £1,700. Now, these are proper power-house computers with Xeon processors. Not for casual gaming. So we're left with iMacs as the main personal computer...and as for what you can upgrade with those - it's not a lot. The memory can be - the Hard Drive and Optical drive can if you take the case apart, but that's about it. All I do is flip a switch on the back of my tower, the side drops off and I pull out the memory and shove my new stuff in there. Pull out the SATA drive cable and get the old HDD out of the clip holder, slide the new one in, put in the plug, voila.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

actually a Mac Mini is more suited for casual gaming, if you want power get an iMac for those more recent games.
Plus a 500gb SATA2 HDD for the hell of it, because I'm running out of space on my 160gb backup drive. Then early next year I'll be getting a new CPU, graphics card and stuff.
We're in the same boat there. I love my PC too, however I love my mac equally the same. What I hate is Vista :D that's why I love MacOS on account its always changing and the colors are soo much better, my work looks a lot more vibrant vs my PC work and my Tablet is far more pricise on my Mac.. and... My printer works without drivers! so wtf!? it is a dream for anyone working with graphic design/multimedia stuff.

Once I get my PC back up and running it'll become my server because the hardware is superior to my Mac, still that doesn't really matter as my Mac runs fine too.

Meanwhile technology is moving too fast these days so I can't be fucked with my PC anymore. With the new Quad core processors I already feel dirty, at least graphics cards remained the same. Again I'm happy not worrying about any of that crap :D
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

actually a Mac Mini is more suited for casual gaming, if you want power get an iMac for those more recent games.
How on earth do you figure that? The MacMini's are rubbish! It costs about £640 for a 2ghz Core2Duo, 2gb DDR2, and a 160GB ATA drive. That's not including a monitor, mouse or anything - that's just the computer. If you want power, get a PC and for the same price as the iMac you'll get far more power - and it's native operating system will run all the games you want, not having to piss about dual booting OS's.

I'll do a quick comparison. For £800 for a iMac, you get:
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
250GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory
20" Monitor

I quickly put together a PC for £850.
2.4ghz Intel Quad Pro
2GB DDR2 (Crucial Ballistix - most likely far better than the crap Apple use)
300GB Hard Drive
18X18 DVD/RW Dual Layer ReWriter
ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro Silent 512MB GDDR3
20" Widescreen Montior

Looking at it actually, going up to their £1,500 - that PC I made is still equal and in a lot of respects, better. The graphics card is a higher spec (twice the amount of ram and a higher model), the RAM is semi-even, the HDD is 200gb more...the only other thing possibly better is the processor. I don't know much about them, so that could be better - but a dual 2.8 would mean a hypothetical 5.6ghz power, while a quad 2.4 would mean 9.6ghz. Even taking into account it's an "EXTREME" version, I would imagine the quad is better.

Do you see my point?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

that's just the computer
That's why I recommend them, because if you've got a good DVI Tv and a cheap USB K+B there isn't really any hassle. This is why I recommend Macs to a lot of clients as they are a majority of the time either Elderly people who have no idea how to use a PC or these idiot wannabe computer technicians that ESD every fucking PC they touch, so I get them a MacMini knowing they won't be able to mess with the Hardware. Plus I know that Elderly people struggle with the idea of a Registry as they rarely ever Add/Remove programs. This is why Macs are better for them because its just a matter of deleting the file.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Or you can get a Laptop for £100 cheaper that runs Vista - it's not that hard to use.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Yeah great idea, lets buy a laptop that will last us barely even 6 months before becoming redundant. Meanwhile XP is a superior operating system for those wanting "just to check their email".
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Linux ftw! :P
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If you just want to check your e-mail, ASUS has made a motherboard with an embedded bare-bones Linux distro on the chipset so you can boot up in less than 5 seconds and be ready to check your e-mail or surf the net (it has Firefox and Skype).

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... =869&num=1
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:If you just want to check your e-mail, ASUS has made a motherboard with an embedded bare-bones Linux distro on the chipset so you can boot up in less than 5 seconds and be ready to check your e-mail or surf the net (it has Firefox and Skype).

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... =869&num=1
Holy shit, that's awesome. :)
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Now, despite the "first generation"-malus, this is something I'd really like to have! If this works, I think this is a must for my next mainboard and could become a new standard feature.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Hm, apparently the mobo's $360 and is DDR-3 only.
:(
Truly the hardware of tomorrow, but not today. That's prohibitively expensive, especially with DDR-3. That shit costs a mint.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Yeah great idea, lets buy a laptop that will last us barely even 6 months before becoming redundant. Meanwhile XP is a superior operating system for those wanting "just to check their email".
Uh, you can't upgrade a MacMini either. As for becoming redundant, my £350 laptop is only slightly less powerful than a £400 Mac Mini, and comes with a screen and a keyboard/mouse system.

And as for normal home users - how would a computer become redundant for them? Have some freaking consistency. A mid-range 2003 laptop would do fine for a home user if all they used was the internet! Heck, a 2000 one would work fine. You could even just screw a laptop and get a entire computer system less than the MacMini that would be fine for home use.